Been in a funk I guess- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Been in a funk I guess

hey fellas!

Well, even though the bike has been working great (I will never say that it is finished) I just haven't felt like riding. I know, "What the hell is wrong with me?" But that is really the only way I can describe it.

We have had some good rains come thru our area the past couple of weeks which laded me on the spin bike in the basement at least 3-5 times. While it sucks to ride that stupid thing, I always seem to have a decent time while doing it and try to make the best of it with intervals, longer climbs (harder tension), high rpm intervals and what not.

In any case, the past couple of days that I had the chance to get out I always managed to find an excuse to not go. I don't know why or what the hell I was thinking. I tried to get out yesterday and at the 3.5 mile mark had had enough of my seat creaking that I turned around and came back home.

But after cleaning the bike up and correcting the creaking issue (seat post binder bolts) I loaded it all up in the car and plan on banging out a good ride today after dropping my daughter off at soccer practice. At the moment, I am still excited about it which is a good thing.

So, just curious if any of you guys have gone thru this crap. I thought maybe I was just over training or something but I think it was all just mental. Maybe I just have issues????

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Find one of these:

And follow it. You'll find yourself wanting to ride longer and harder than ever before!

I get in funks sometimes, but since I commute by bike 25-35mi a day off and on-road, I don't have much of a choice other than to ride. If I can force myself out in the morning I usually feel better about it after the 3-4 mile mark, especially since the first 3-4mi of the day heading to work is all downhill and I don't want to turn around and climb it only to spend 2x as much time in traffic to go the same direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Happens to me all the time. I usually fix it by riding some new trails or participating in group rides with folks I've never ridden with.

Of course, you can always buy upgrades (instead of riding up grades). New bike sh*t always gets me excited about riding again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Diversify your activities.

I ride more when weather is nice and hit gym when it's not. Both seem to compliment each other nicely and I don't get burned out on either one.

rebmem rbtm
    Happens to everyone I think. Try a night ride. The same ol trails at night can put some excitement back in.

Also finding new people to ride with. See if any of the shops in your area have group rides. A shop in San Diego has a year round group ride on Tuesdays and when I get a little stale I show up and it seems to help.

AZ
    banned
    Take up alternate activities like Dwarf tossing to mix it up a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Do some bike maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Take up alternate activities like Dwarf tossing to mix it up a bit.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    It happens to everyone at some stage. I find it starts after a few days off the bike. The key, for me anyway, is to ride daily, even if it is only a short spin.

Good luck regaining your mojo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nothing wrong with a few days off the bike, what's funny is when I do this then decide too go out riding, my first thought is " I ef'n love riding my bike"!

Low Rep Count
    Well, I went out yesterday for a lap around our local race course. I tooled out to the course from the soccer fields where my daughter was practicing and sorta used that as a warm up. But my warm up extended to about 1.5 miles into the course before I told myself to start frickn riding!

In the end, I pulled in a pretty good time for riding by myself and not having any sort of adrenaline pushing me like you would have in a race. At the same time, I could tell that I hadn't been pushing myself on the bike lately as I was getting tired. I still managed to beat my race time though so that was a good thing. Then I checked out where I stood on the loop on Strava and found that the fastest time around the loop was almost 13 minutes faster than mine! WTH??? Sorta took the wind right out of my sails for sure.

Judging by the way I felt at the end of my little loop, I realize that if I am going to race in the sport class I really need to get myself back on my training. The sport class is two laps! Funny how fast you can lose some of your fitness.

In any case it was a good ride and I enjoyed myself. I can only wonder what my time would have been had I been pushing the pace from the start of the course and not stopped 2-3 times to do a quick look at the trail map to make sure I was making the correct turns at intersections. You would think that for as much as I ride out there that I would have this course down. Yet there are still 3 turns that I tend to mess up just about every time I am out there unless I look at the stupid map board. Oh well, the course will be marked on race day so that won't be an issue.

Low Rep Count
    [QUOTE=fryed_1;9376607]Find one of these:

I would love to see more of these out on the trail but they seem to be somewhat rare!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

The need for singlespeed
    Who knew one broken chain would have such a profound impact on one's riding?

These things are cyclical--it'll come back around!

Low Rep Count
    I know right? My new one showed up last week but sticking with Sram one until it is time to clean it up then I swap between the two. Decent ride last night around Schaeffer though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post

I would love to see more of these out on the trail but they seem to be somewhat rare!
    Yeah the trails here are adjacent to a mostly-female liberal arts college and the girls there use them for running and biking quite often. Early fall is the best time when the new stock comes in to town. Once or twice a week you'll find a handful of 19yr old girls out there on their huffys lost on the trails and it's always up to me to play the good guide to help them out.

mtbr member
    Riding with a buddy definitely makes things more exciting, especially since I ride alone nearly always. Brings new life into the same trails following/leading someone else.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    Yeah the trails here are adjacent to a mostly-female liberal arts college and the girls there use them for running and biking quite often. Early fall is the best time when the new stock comes in to town. Once or twice a week you'll find a handful of 19yr old girls out there on their huffys lost on the trails and it's always up to me to play the good guide to help them out.
    Bastard! Nothing like that near by! I guess that is a good thing for my marriage anyway.

Sass,
    I hear you, that is why I try to get out on the local group rides once a week. But I have now missed it the past two weeks. I will agree with the statement above that the funk seems to creep in after a couple of days off the bike.

I do cross train if you will though. I have a gym in my basement w/ bench, squat rack, lat tower, dumbbell rack, barbell and a bunch of plates and dumbbells as well as a spin bike. I also go to the gym if I don't feel like working out at home. But it is what it is.

It was nice getting back out there yesterday even though there were still some mud puddles to avoid. And turning in a time that was only a 1.5 minutes off my old race time isn't bad either for not really pushing the pace for the first 1.5 miles or so. Unfortunately, I can't get back out there tonight (I don't think I can anyway, though I might give it a shot). Tomorrow is looking out of the question so that leaves the Thurs. night group ride (not a night ride).

I haven't been on a night ride in a while so perhaps I will consider that for this weekend if the weather holds out.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1017 View Post
    I totally agree with you. I need to just suck it up and get back out there!

Low Rep Count
    Good point!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Bastard! Nothing like that near by! I guess that is a good thing for my marriage anyway.
    Yeah I fixed that problem years ago. And before anyone calls me a creepy old stalker, it all comes down to simple math. Two 19yr olds... One 35yr old.... 19+19=38. Technically that would make me a cougar-chaser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hard work ...

Low Rep Count
    ....but someone's gotta do it....

Low Rep Count
    Alright, I think I am over the funk. I got out again today for a short ride of 7.5 m. I won't complain though. I was given a window of time and ran with it. Basically the wife had to be somewhere and I had to get one of the girls to swim practice and attend a parent meeting. In any case, I rode my home trail (Seneca Greenway) but jumped off the main section and hit what we call the hidden trails. Unfortunately, they are getting a little grown over in some places so I am thinking I will need to go out there for a trail maintenance day here soon. My buddy was spending alot of time working on them in the early spring/late winter but has since taken a job that now has him commuting and I haven't seen him out there in a while. He is actually the one that cut the trails back in the mid 90's.

In any case, I had a good time because I still don't know the true flow of the trails which results in you not quite knowing what is coming next. You only really know the general direction you are heading. It keeps things interesting and the trails over all are in good shape since very few people ride them/know about them.

Not sure if I'll make it out tomorrow or not but am still planning on the group ride on Thursday if the weather holds out!

mtbr member
    I always enjoy a new trail, variety is the spice of life (or so they say).

I ride greenway a lot, if you are looking for a hand with the trail maintenance, I would be happy to pitch in.

Low Rep Count
    I appreciate that! I will probably try to make some plans to get out there next week some time in the afternoon to work on it. I figure I will try to get a ride in again out there so I can sort of mentally mark or make a list of what I think needs to be addressed the most. i will definitely be in touch to see if you are available.

Just on a side note, I am assuming you live in the area so I have to ask if you are aware of MORE? If not you can check them out at Home Page | MORE-MTB It is pretty much a local riding group. There is a weekly group ride tomorrow night out at Schaeffer if you are interested. Sorry if you already know all this.

mtbr member
    Yea, I am aware of MORE, though I haven't ever met up with the group. I am actually going riding tomorrow, but it'll likely be greenway or black hills as I am bringing along a work buddy. That and I'm rounding back into shape after a 2 1/2 week vacation.

In any case, let me know when you plan on going and I'll try and make it.

Low Rep Count
    Well the offer stands! The group ride has various speed levels that head out depending on the turn out. Lately we have had a casual and what has been termed as casual +. But it all depends on the turn out and who wants to ride at what speed. Great opportunity to meet a lot of folks and get involved in trail building/maintenance community.

As far as my tentative trail maintenance day goes, well technically MORE and the Park Service take care of the Greenway. But since the trails I am referring to are off the main trail, they don't really support them. I figure it is the least I can do since I go out and ride them all the time.

I don't know how familiar you are with the Greenway between Brink/Blunt and Watkins Mill but as you start heading up the hill from the Brink/Blunt side you will see a few trails shooting off to either side. Pick one of them and you will see that the loop all over the place on either side of the main trail. These would be the ones I plan on trying to do a little work on. Maybe just raking them out a little bit from all of the leaves and I know there is some over growth in some places that I will be hacking at. lots of little tree branches all over the place as well.

mtbr member
    Hrm, I may have to try to make it to one of these. My regular crowd has been thinning as of late.

I know where you are talking about I think. This is right after the bridge that was recently extended, just before the mondo-hill? If so, I've always wondered what those trails were about, someone seems to have blocked them off with random bits of wood. If not, I'll just have to take your word for it.

Low Rep Count
    Well, if you are coming from the intersection of Brink/Blunt Rd and headed out towards Watkins Mill then there is really only one real bridge that you have to cross. You then go thru a little gully and then start heading up the longer hill. There are various trails dumping off both sides on your way up. If you are coming from the Watkins Mill side of the trail then you will see the trail make a Y after the extended bridge (the one I think you are referring to). If you follow the trail straight you will see the trail branch off to the right again. This is part of the "hidden" trails and it loops back up the hill on your left further down. If you take the trail to the left right after the bridge, you will see some trails cutting off to your left on the way up and at the top. Again, they all link together and loop all over the place around that particular hill. I would be more than happy to link up with out out there some time and show them to you. I tell you, they were much easier to see over the winter when there wasn't as much vegetation out there. Definitely more fun that just about any other part of the Greenway trail system (and I have ridden it from Damascus all the way out to Schaeffer).

Low Rep Count
    Oh the portion that is blocked off going up the "mondo hill" was done because it was very washed out and becoming pretty dangerous and a new route was cut. This was done about a year ago or so.

mtbr member
    OK, I know what you are talking about. Thank you for adding that section to the left too. I havent ever been further south than the parking lot on 355 (which is where we typically start). Never even thought the trail extended that way! I know it goes much further north though, I usually stop after the road crossing after brink.

Low Rep Count
    Once you cross Brink I think it is about 1 mile or so to Hunt Master. From Hutmaster you continue on another 3 miles or so to the creek crossing. If you make it to the creek you will see a small trail cut off to the right about 15' back from the creek. Follow that upstream about 100 yards and there is a fallen tree that you can walk right across to the other side. Or you can take your chances walking on the rocks, get your feet wet, and just cross right there. The trail then continues on for another 4 miles or so and eventually comes out at Damascus Regional Park. I think that going from 355 to Damascus and back is about 20 miles (and this does not account for the little hidden trails here and there along the way-there are a few more once you get out past the creek but I won't get into all those on here).

Once you hit 355 you have to go left on the road and cross the bridge that goes over the creek. Once you get to this point you will see a blue marker on the guard rail. This is where the trail becomes "walkers" only. I took the trail before knowing this. None the less, it will take you all they way out to Clopper rd, where you can go under an over pass and keep going and pop out in Seneca Park. Follow the Seneca Park trails around and you come out at Riffleford and you can then take the new Seneca Ridge Trail (SRT) and pop out at Schaeffer. From there you can obviously head on out to Black Hills! The majority of the trails I just mentioned will be part of the Moco Epic this year!!!

mtbr member
    Oh yes, this is sounding familiar. A friend has been trying to rope me into the MoCo epic. Maybe you'll see me there.

mtbr member
    Yeah I fixed that problem years ago. And before anyone calls me a creepy old stalker, it all comes down to simple math. Two 19yr olds... One 35yr old.... 19+19=38. Technically that would make me a cougar-chaser.
    I hate math but this equation speaks to me.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

The need for singlespeed
    I have a PhD in math and this is one of the best results I've seen in my entire career.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Hey 1SPD, i'm in your funk. I need to get out soon. I'm riding the MoCo Epic 35 miler. Wanted to do it on my SS, but been in the funk. May ride the 1X9 29er. I'm riding tomorrow and over the week end. that will cure it. How are the group rides? I've never done one at Schaeffer. fast, slow, Sounds like fun.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I can't say I have bee in a funk lately but I haven't been out on the mtb as much simply due to schedules. The twins are in high school now and both playing fall sports. I swear we are at that school or running them somewhere every day now. As a result I have been running out at lunch to sneak a road ride in at lunch a few days a week. Its better than nothing but not as exciting as being on the trails.

The Moco 35 is pretty nice. Just like the rest of our trails in the area. Not a lot of time to rest and coast, constant pedaling, well groomed single track, and some additional newer sections of trail linking things together here and there. I think the newest section will hit just before you get to the SRT and replaces the older road riding sections!!!

The group rides are pretty fun though I haven't been to one in the past 4 weeks or so. There are normally two groups that head out. A fast group and then everyone else. If they have a lot of folks show up then they may divide down and have a slow group. But even the moderate pace group is not that bad. Maybe hard for a beginner but they do stop and wait for folks to catch up fairly often. The fast group may or may not ride very fast but they certainly don't stop for breaks or slower riders (at all). Both are fun and there is a great group of guys out there, the majority of which will be riding in the Moco themselves.

BTW, still dealing w/ wheel drama. Got the wheel back a few weeks ago from being rebuilt after a crash. Been on two rides with it for a total of about 20 miles only to have two spokes darn near fall out on me! Took it back yesterday, received a bit of an attitude from the mechanic who with a nasty attitude stated that he told me to bring it back for retentioning/truing when I picked it up. Odd, he was off the day I picked it up! That would have been the plan any way but after only 20 miles of mellow trail riding? Really? I have yet to take my rear wheel in to the shop that made it and it has almost 450 miles on it! Same hub, spokes, rim but with brass nipples vs alloy on the front one. Hmmmmm.

Members who have read this thread: 0