Been cheating on the SS lately- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Been cheating on the SS lately

So, I ended up barrowing a bike from a friend and getting otu for a couple of road rides over the past week. I must admit, it was a nice change of pace for me as I was getting a little tired of my local trails and I simply don't have the time to venture out to other locations very often.

In any case, I guess if you are going to barrow a bike then you might as well go all the way right? I mean, barrow the best you can get your hands on anyway! So I have been riding a Bianchi steel frame (pretty much what we call a catalog bike, as they made one, put it in their catalog, my buddy who owns a shop bought one, only to find out they stopped making it and it is now the only one!) w/ a mix of Campy components on it. It's basically 10spd record but with the newer shift levers on it. This is great for me since Campy is all I used to ride so I felt right at home on it.

So, aside from me getting in a few road rides lately, I took it back to the shop to return it to him yesterday. While there we were talking about the new Super Record stuff and I asked if he happened to have the new rear derailleur there. He said only the ESP version! What?! So while I was fondling the $925 part he went out to his truck and brought in his Cinelli carbon set up that has full Record (not super record) w/ ESP. I had told them that I got to play around with a Di2 set up while on vacation last year but never got to actually ride it. Next thing I know I am ripping around the parking lot clicking buttons, shifting under load, and simply from ear to ear! This was by far the coolest gear shifting set up I have ever frickn played with!

I tell ya, my SS is nice and I don't have any plans on moving back to gears on it. But for the road bike, well....if I had the money this would be the dream set up. I say dream because that damn Cinelli I was on had to be worth all of $10k! I don't think I have ever been on that expensive of a bike and trust me, I have owned a few very high end set ups back when I was into road bikes.

All I can say, is that if you ever get a chance to ride either the Di2 or the Campy ESP do it! Don't let your SS mentality get in the way. It is just some trick tech stuff to play with for sure. The shifting is instantanious and percise and it will frickn change your whole mind set of crappy cable shifting! Just cool stuff I tell ya!

So after that, I snached the Bianchi back and took it back home with me as I felt inspired to go for a couple more road rides (I can sneak out at lunch and get in about 15-20 miles). I figure the Bianchi isn't going to do anything but hang in the shop at this point (which is what he said as well) so why not.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're gonna have to change that name of yours.

Low Rep Count
    Well, if I had the funding I wouldn't have an issue with it being 11spd!

Low Rep Count
    Here's the green machine I've been riding. I swapped out the seat/post to mine as his post was a little more laid back than my set up. I don't particularly like how high the bars are on the steerer tube but hey, it's not my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Been cheating on the SS lately-img-20120626-00059.jpg  

mtbr member
    I find the road to be a good time in the heat of summer. And I am with you, if I had the coin I would drop it on that Campy ESP in a second.

Single Speed Junkie
    Well the good news is that the trusty SS collecting dust over the past few rides will never call you a dirty XXXX for riding another bike

Might need to check out the Campy ESP one of these days. Even though I don't have the coin to get any.

Low Rep Count
    Nope, not my ride! My SS is cleaner than this Bianchi! Seriously. I pretty much clean it within 24 hours of a ride. I think that is the old roadie in me coming out but my SS loves the attention just the same!

Members who have read this thread: 0