Which BD 29er SS Ridgid Has Casette Ready Rear Wheel/Hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Which BD 29er SS Ridgid Has Casette Ready Rear Wheel/Hub?

Having a hard time finding a 21" Stout, so looking at BikesDirect BullsEye, DeadEye, Gravity 29, or Windsor Cliff. All say "multi speed capable", but I think they are referring to cable guides or the width of rear frame being wide enough..yes? No? I know from some of the posts here, that the Stout (not available in 21") works without changing the entire wheel. Help please.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all here!
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    If you scroll down to the table of specifications for each bike and look under either cassette/freewheel and/or hubs, it tells you. I believe all but the Gravity 29 are ready without changing a wheel -- but, of course, be sure to confirm with BD before buying.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerCycling View Post
    ...of course, be sure to confirm with BD before buying.
    True this but I believe all the BD ss 29ers come with a dished, non-ss-specific wheel that can be used for multi-geared arrangements, including the Gravity.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks BC, I read it, but the way it's worded, I was/am not certain.."Dawes Alloy Cassette disc Ready Hub, 36H, Nutted, 18T Cog".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    True this but I believe all the BD ss 29ers come with a dished, non-ss-specific wheel that can be used for multi-geared arrangements, including the Gravity.
    You may be right, but the Gravity 29 is the only one that isn't listed as 9-speed capable on the main page, and doesn't indicate anything in the specs table either (believe it says 2 spacers). Like I said, I could be wrong (ask my wife ), but I didn't see any clear indication it was 9-speed capable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just received a email from BD confirming that the BullsEye, DeadEye, and Cliff are all cassette capable..no mention of the Gravity 29.

My other choice is a Monocog in 21"..anyone know of one in N. California or a dealer who ships? I like the geo of the Cog and the fact that it has eyeletted wheels. Test rode the 19", but want the 21".

Former Bike Wrench
    The Gravity is multi-gear ready just like the others, here is proof from another thread on this forum. However, none of the BD SS bikes have cable stops for a front derailleur, only for the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The Gravity is multi-gear ready just like the others, here is proof from another thread on this forum. However, none of the BD SS bikes have cable stops for a front derailleur, only for the rear.
    Interesting -- guess those are the spacers the specs mention. Anything else needed for it to be "cassette ready"? Also, I don't see cable stops for the rear of the Gravity, but perhaps I've missed them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post

THANKS mtbiker72! I was leaning towards the Gravity and it does indeed appear to be cassette ready. Question: it appears the rear tug is not centered? Possibly bent?