bb height, chain falling off- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

bb height, chain falling off

I have exactly four hours experience riding my new specialized rockhopper 29 ss, so bear with me. Today's first ride has me wondering 2 things:

1) the chain fell off repeatedly. The bike uses a sliding rear dropout and I got the chain nice and tight and fiddled with the spacers in the back, but it pops off on bumps. I ordered an outer bash guard and chain watcher today, hopefully it's just the chain bouncing off.

2) I bang my pedals all the time. I did not measure it yet, but the BB height seems like riding a road bike, even my cross bike seems to have better pedal clearance. Is the a 29er thing or just a specialized thing? It's kind of a pain, as when I whack the pedal the chain derails too.

Other than that I like both the bigger wheels and the single speed aspect. I'm a little sore I must say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden
    I have exactly four hours experience riding my new specialized rockhopper 29 ss, so bear with me. Today's first ride has me wondering 2 things:

1) the chain fell off repeatedly. The bike uses a sliding rear dropout and I got the chain nice and tight and fiddled with the spacers in the back, but it pops off on bumps. I ordered an outer bash guard and chain watcher today, hopefully it's just the chain bouncing off.
    Um....it's not supposed to come off. You don't need a bash guard or a chain watcher to keep it on, you just need proper chain tension. Take it to a mechanic and have them show you a proper method for getting it tight enough maybe?

2) I bang my pedals all the time. I did not measure it yet, but the BB height seems like riding a road bike, even my cross bike seems to have better pedal clearance. Is the a 29er thing or just a specialized thing? It's kind of a pain, as when I whack the pedal the chain derails too.
    Meh, it is what it is. You can always play with fork lengths if it bothers you too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It has a sliding mechanism on the dropouts and I applied a lot of pressure with my hand and tightened it--am I missing something?

My spoon is too big!
    Check that the wheel and chainline are straight. Even a tight chain can derail, if something is crooked.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Retro Grouch
    It has a sliding mechanism on the dropouts and I applied a lot of pressure with my hand and tightened it--am I missing something?
    The Rockhopper 29er SS I have seen have an eccentric bottom.

edit; okay my bad, I found this pic of the "Expert". My guess is the dropouts are slipping; need to be cleaned and tightened with more torque
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bb height, chain falling off-rh.jpg  

Last edited by aka brad; 05-15-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Members who have read this thread: 0