BB & Crankset Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

BB & Crankset Recommendations

you guys have made some excellent recommendations so far, so i am seeking one more from you single speed XC (and endurance XC) riders. My flight monocog BB is starting to wear out already so i figured i would take the opportunity to upgrade the entire crankset and BB. please recommend both the "if money were no object" and "i have $500 to spend" options. looking for something that can be on the bike in time for the SMT100 in two weeks, so nothing with long back-order or made-to-order builds would likely work.

Here's what came with the Flight:
    OEM BB specs: FSA ISIS 68mm x 108mm
    OEM Crank specs: FSA Maximus 32T W

TIA!!!

Fat & Single
    I have Middleburns on 2 bikes, one with a HBC spiderless ring, the other with a Middleburn Uno waiting on an HBC spiderless, one runs off a SKF ISIS BB and the other is a new X-type with a regular external BB.

Theres plenty of good options, Rotor, XTR, SRAM, WI, ect......
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

miwuksurfer
    I would get a set of these with a Phil Wood Outboard or Chris King bottom bracket...

Hot Rod Cranks

They are the Groovy Cycles Hot Rod Cranks.

***Edited: Sorry about the outrageously large photo before. Just go ahead and check out the web page.
    Last edited by miwuksurfer; 08-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm trying to get in touch with mtbtandems to get a set of middleburns but in 2 weeks I've had zero luck. I like the white industries too but it's square taper and I need external bb

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You need to call Alex at MtbTandems.. I called him last Wednesday and I just opened my new cranks today. He was very helpful for a new singlespeeder and the cranks are beautiful. Now I'm just waiting for the square taper BB to finish the conversion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I actually just got an email reply and am trying to figure out what I can run.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If it were me, I would pick up some XTR M960 cranks used on Ebay, Then, send them to Crazy8 for modding and ceramic coating in your choice of color. Throw on a Blackspire Mono Veloce 102bcd ring, and your are good to go. Crazy8 could probably hook you up with an HBC ring, but I wouldn't use that ring just out of principle at this point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you are looking for value go with SLX. If you want something nicer go with XT or XTR. Make sure you look for an 104bcd version.

For single speed look for a 104mm bolt circle because there are lots of chainrings available in that format plus it is strong for rings in the 32..36 tooth range. I personally would avoid the XTR M960 simply because the 102bcd format is not as well supported. Four bolt rings are also wear better then SRAM spiderless because you can rotate the rings to allow a different set of teeth to handle the power phase.

Overall SLX cranks are IMHO the best value.

On the other hand SRAM spiderless cranks have the advantage that they are lighter. You could also consider the XX1 if your aim is to shed weight.

mtbr member
    I run a set of SLX and also a set of the two-piece Stylo cranks. I like them both, the Stylo's more than the SLX though. I've had the stylo's for more than 4 years and they've never let me down. They are a snap to work on. So are the SLX though and they seem plenty durable, I've been riding them for a little more than a year. Both have been great SS cranks and I think once installed are forgettable.

If money were no object I'd probably go back to my roots and put on a set of profiles paired with their elite disc hubs. It would be nice!

Members who have read this thread: 0