Basic SS Kit- Mtbr.com

Thread: Basic SS Kit

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Basic SS Kit

Could someone please outline what I would need to make my Giant Boulder SE SS. It is a 21 speed and I was wondering if I could use my current cogs as long as I took them apart? Also, do I need a chain tensioner and what do they do? Finally, can chain tensioners go into your spokes and break?

If someonecold answer these questions and give ma basic outline of what I would need to buy and what work I would have to do that would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yes, yes, they act like the bottom half of your derailuer no

Retro Grouch

Best to go with a kit

Quote Originally Posted by giantrider9
    Could someone please outline what I would need to make my Giant Boulder SE SS. It is a 21 speed and I was wondering if I could use my current cogs as long as I took them apart? Also, do I need a chain tensioner and what do they do? Finally, can chain tensioners go into your spokes and break?

If someonecold answer these questions and give ma basic outline of what I would need to buy and what work I would have to do that would be great.
    The kit at Nashbar is hard to beat. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...63&PID=1204522

Best to chuck the spring in the tensioner and use a zip-tie to attach the tensioner arm to the chain stay, so the arm is pushing "up" against the chain and around the cog.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    The kit at Nashbar is hard to beat. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...63&PID=1204522

Best to chuck the spring in the tensioner and use a zip-tie to attach the tensioner arm to the chain stay, so the arm is pushing "up" against the chain and around the cog.

1G1G, Brad
    Do you have a picture of this set-up. I'm curious to see what it looks like with the zip tie.

To address the original poster. If you're still thinking about going with the SS you will need a tensioner, rear spacers, rear cog, and front chain ring. Get a 32 or 34 tooth ring. Since you will have new rings buy a new chain. It's worth it.

The Giant Boulder is an entry level bike so the Nashbar deal sounds like the route you should take.

Retro Grouch

It looks like this

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson
    Do you have a picture of this set-up. I'm curious to see what it looks like with the zip tie.

To address the original poster. If you're still thinking about going with the SS you will need a tensioner, rear spacers, rear cog, and front chain ring. Get a 32 or 34 tooth ring. Since you will have new rings buy a new chain. It's worth it.

The Giant Boulder is an entry level bike so the Nashbar deal sounds like the route you should take.
    It looks like this

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cars Are Evil
    Can you change the tire without cutting the zip tie?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    why not use a hose clamp it would last longer, give you adjustable tension, and be reusable. but thanks for the visual that looks a little cooler than when it pushes down. i thought that with the singleator you could adjust it to push up like that with the actual stock spring instead of the zip tie i could be wrong but look into it. good luck

Retro Grouch

No..

Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Can you change the tire without cutting the zip tie?
    No, you're just going to have to carry a few zip-ties and a knife. Another way that works way better is to use a derailleur aka Keith Bontrager (check out the FAQ). There is no need for a "tensioner" or zip ties. The top pulley holds the chain over the cog and the bottom pulley does the tensioning; you're almost guaranteed the chain will not derail or skip. This is why chainline is not an issue with geared bikes. Below is a picture from the FAQ..

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the info on what to get. I'll prolly go with the Nashbar kit because it isnt too expenisve and it looks like it could get the job done.

Could someone tell me exactly what work and how i would do it to assemble the nashbar kit to my bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Get a springless tensioner like a Rennen Rollenlager, On-One Other Doofer, or DMR STS. Screw that zip tie crap, start with a product that works right to begin with.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Get a springless tensioner like a Rennen Rollenlager, On-One Other Doofer, or DMR STS. Screw that zip tie crap, start with a product that works right to begin with.
    This is good advice.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know how i could take the freewheel off of my bike without using a tool? Also, does anyone know how to take apart a chain without a tool?
    Any advice would be great.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by giantrider9
    Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know how i could take the freewheel off of my bike without using a tool? Also, does anyone know how to take apart a chain without a tool?
    Any advice would be great.
    i wouldnt suggest you try either.
    bad things will happen.

pick up the tools (fairly) cheap, borrow them or visit the local bike shop - see if they are willing to help.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike

Hey, HB is here!

This guy knows his stuff.

The STS is cheap and works. DO IT!

Members who have read this thread: 0