Bashguard - Chain guide - Nothing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Bashguard - Chain guide - Nothing?

I'm finishing up my first SS and am in need of some input. I originally was going to use an old crank and just remove the outer and inner rings and replace with a couple of BBG bashguards to keep the chain from jumping.

I've now decided I will get a single speed chainring instead for the old crank. My question is whether or not I still need to run some sort of chain guide to keep the chain in place? I've got an old steel frame Scott with vertical drops, so I will be using a tensioner if that makes a difference (I'm thinking it does).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Some additional info to clarify...I'm not worried about needing a bashguard for protection on the trails I ride. I'm more concerned about whether or not having vertical drops and a tensioner would mean I'm more likely to drop the chain. I just want to avoid that.

is buachail foighneach me
    with a tensioner it shouldn't be necessary. single ring, no guides or guards. Just take the time to make sure the chainline is correct. If you find the frame is flexing enough to drop the chain, a guide of some sort might be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good deal. Hopefully I can get it together sometime this weekend. We're having a heat wave up here in Wisconsin...it would be nice to get the maiden voyage in.

Thanks for the reply!

local trails rider
    I don't need a bashring to keep the chain on. I have it on two SS bikes anyway.
    That way I can use normal length chainring bolts and I do not worry about crossing fallen trees and stuff.

Also, I've seen pics of 4 bolt chainrings that bent and broke the spider too. The bashring reinforces the system just like a big ring.

Members who have read this thread: 0