Bar placement preference for your SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bar placement preference for your SS

Bars low and close or higher and farther forward?

When I ride my SS, I sometimes feel like I rest too much on the bars, making me think a longer stem would be good to try. But then today I was riding my FS in a SS like gear and the lower and closer bars position felt kind of powerful and good.

So what do you think works better and why?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like to try and maximize the benefit of the width and sweep of my riser, so I don't go too far forward or back where the sweep design would be compromised. I don't use the Mary bar or any alt. bar like that, although using one of those sounds interesting.

My spoon is too big!
    Low and close seems like it would feel cramped when standing.

I kinda like low and long for my SS. My bike had a fairly tall riser bar with little sweep, and it just felt too high. The seated position was too upright, and the bike felt like a beach cruiser. I swapped it out for a Fleegle, which is a wide, flat bar with a 15* sweep. It made the handling much more predictable and stable.

Beyond proper bike fitment though, it's really just personal preference.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Out spokin'
    Absolutely, positively 100% personal preference. That said, I like my bar about the same height as my saddle, with the reach right where it feels best to me.

Hope that helps a little.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Absolutely, positively 100% personal preference. That said, I like my bar about the same height as my saddle, with the reach right where it feels best to me.

Hope that helps a little.

--Sparty

+1
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Bike set up is NOT personal preference! You shall all set your bikes up according to my instructions or you will all perish and burn in a lake of fire

I got nothin'
    I set the height of the bar close the the seat, but I have a slightly shorter stem than I use on my FS and commuter bikes. The slightly shorter stem feels a little less squirrely to me on the trail than the longer reach over the front end with a long stem.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use a 90mm stem with the bars at the same level or a bit lower than the seat. I like a decent amount of weight on the front wheel in the tight turns so i can lean forward and power through it.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I typically orient my bars towards the front. When they are up there, I like them about saddle height because it is easier to climb and keep weight back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like my bars to be comfortable when standing on a long out of the saddle climbs. This also gives me a pretty upright position when seated, which for me gives me more power. Make sure your on an incline when you check standing bar position.

local trails rider
    I have my bar just a little below the seat. If the bar is too far forward, it feels like it is hard to keep enough weight on the rear wheel when climbing out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    I like mine a little below my seat. Currently I've got a 90 mm stem with a 12 deg rise, but I think I might swap it for a 100 mm flat stem. I picked up the Race Face Next XC carbon bars (3/4" rise). Nice and wide, great damping, they're fantastic; highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm still not sure about these responses...

Low and far reach?
    High and far reach?
    Low and close?
    High and close?

Has anybody tried some combo of these to find the right setting for them? And if so what works and why?

AZ
    banned
    I set my bikes up the same , geared or s.s. It is completely dependent on rider preference , I do not buy into single speed position , it is just bike position . Just my take on things .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I set my bikes up the same , geared or s.s. It is completely dependent on rider preference , I do not buy into single speed position , it is just bike position . Just my take on things .
    Fair enough. But I suppose that means you never feel like you need to change your position much (or at least you body shifts are all comfortable and expected depending on the terrain). So you might be lucky.

Members who have read this thread: 0