mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bar ends for a SS?

Do many of you use bar ends on your singlespeed to lever up climbs?

Im building a SS out of craigslist find (Cannondale m600 1994 with peperoni fork)- tried it today as with the oldskool bar ends and they seem to help on climbs. Am I better with them our without them?

Also what grips do you guys use for your rigid SSers to take the edge off? .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    it would give your more leverage i think when i ride it is nice for climbing also

mtbr member

Cane Creek Ergo Control II's

I have never been a fan of bar ends when I rode geared bikes. However, I throw these on my current SS rig and now I couldn't imagine riding without them. They are short but allow you to really crank up steep climbs and they give you another place to put your hands on long, endurance type rides and races.

Hil
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yet among the bikes I see in the "Post your Single Speed" thread, it seems that very few people use bar ends. Anyone have an idea why this is the case?

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil
    Yet among the bikes I see in the "Post your Single Speed" thread, it seems that very few people use bar ends. Anyone have an idea why this is the case?
    Messes up my Chi..

Actually I'd have bar ends but my stupid bontrager carbon bar sez no and I'm too chicken to try anyway. Singletrack Solutions has some really nice small light ones..

mtbr member
    I've got the monkey lite risers which are wider than the typical flat bar. The wider bar gives you more leverage and more stability when climbing and descending. The extra width is a small price to pay. I've used bar ends on this very bike when it was a geary, and really like the wider risers better.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I do. I use the Ergon grips w/ the built in barends. Love them for climbing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I run the Kalloy Dexter bars with ergon grips with their little built in bar ends. I would prefer normal bar ends but I need to find some that compensate for the 30 degree sweep of the bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidel
    I have never been a fan of bar ends when I rode geared bikes. However, I throw these on my current SS rig and now I couldn't imagine riding without them. They are short but allow you to really crank up steep climbs and they give you another place to put your hands on long, endurance type rides and races.
    +1 on the CC ergo II's i've never really liked bar ends, don't like the way they look on a bike, but after doing the 24 hours of Pisgah last year SS, i had them on, and loved 'em, then finally put them on my El Mariachi, had to get over the look....function over fashion any day! these things rock!

mtbr member
    Isn't handlebar width a critical factor? I don't know about you, but with bar ends my hands go outside of the ends, in effecting widening my grip. I have the Ergon grips as well, and they work very well on my old narrow scott flat bar, but don't feel right on some of the wider bars that I have on my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zipzit
    Isn't handlebar width a critical factor? I don't know about you, but with bar ends my hands go outside of the ends, in effecting widening my grip. I have the Ergon grips as well, and they work very well on my old narrow scott flat bar, but don't feel right on some of the wider bars that I have on my other bikes.
    I find that to be true too. If you have barends the perfect width then the bars tend to be too narrow and if the bars are the right width then the bar ends feel too far out.

banned
    Yep, a lot more leverage and it feels great on the arms when you really have to crank slow and hard. You know, when you should be walking but don't want to.

Members who have read this thread: 0