Bar Ends on a Singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bar Ends on a Singlespeed

I have had a set of Singletrack Solutions bar ends laying around and decided to give them a try. I have not had bar ends on a bike since my very first mountain bike back in 1992. Thought the bar ends would come in handy for out of the saddle climbing. Anyone running bar ends on their singlespeed? If so let me know what you think about them.

I will be giving mine a try on Friday weather permitting.
    Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Singlespeed!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    You're gonna punch a hole in your liver

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I was on mine today and I was thinking that some short ones would be nice.

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Bar ends make my single speed a double speed -- I have so much more power when climbing out of the saddle when using bar ends it's like I have a second gear. I believe my perceived advantage with bar ends is about both having my hands in a preferred position (palms facing in instead of back) and being able to get forward more easily with bar ends as compared to just being on the handle bar. The only single speed I've owned that doesn't have bar ends is the townie...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    Bar ends make my single speed a double speed -- I have so much more power when climbing out of the saddle when using bar ends it's like I have a second gear. I believe my perceived advantage with bar ends is about both having my hands in a preferred position (palms facing in instead of back) and being able to get forward more easily with bar ends as compared to just being on the handle bar. The only single speed I've owned that doesn't have bar ends is the townie...
    Great feedback thanks! I gave them a go on the road and just the couple of hills I climbed it felt really good using the bar ends. Can not wait to give them a go on Friday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use the ergon grips with the little stubby bar ends built in. I love them. I absolutely think they help when climbing. I don't think I would ride an xc bike without them

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ditto on the ergons. Love them. They are a tremendous help in climbing and great if riding fire roads for another hand position.
    Have not punctured a liver yet.

SS Pusher Man
    Haven't really found a need for bar ends.....used to run them back in the day.

With 780mm bars I can get plenty of leverage.

But it is your bike....run it however YOU want to.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Hooligan

I do!

Worst case you don't like them and toss them back into the parts bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    The only time my hands aren't touching the bar ends is when I'm descending.

mtbr member
    I too recently picked up some Singletrack Solutions bar ends but I have not had a chance to ride them yet. I have 28" risers, so that bar ends will make my bars effectively 27" wide. will report back when I get a chance to actually try them out.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 05-04-2015 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a29rider View Post
    Ditto on the ergons. Love them. They are a tremendous help in climbing and great if riding fire roads for another hand position.
    Have not punctured a liver yet.
    +3. Ergons. I'm on the bar ends all the time if I don't need the brakes. More comfortable for me.
    Just be careful not to get caught on the ends when you need the brakes ... but you get pretty good at switching fast.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

psycho cyclo addict
    One SS I bought came with bar ends. Tried 'em for a couple of rides and thought they got in the way and didn't provide any additional climbing power for me.

I run ~700mm bars shifted a bit forward and they provide plenty of mash 'n climb leverage for me to negotiate uphill efforts better than mere mortals with easier gearing
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ran Cane Creek ergo bar ends for years and swore that they were the bee's knees. But now that I am using much wider bars, I don't really see the need for them.

mtbr member
    Loved having the bar ends I really felt a difference in the out of the saddle climbing with them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bar Ends on a Singlespeed-2015-05-01-sycip-diesel-paris-mountain-state-park-greenville-sc-4-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcave216 View Post
    Loved having the bar ends I really felt a difference in the out of the saddle climbing with them.
    What brand/model are those? I want a set with some "behind the bar" surface area and those look like they have some. Thanks!

MMS
    mtbr member
    I dug bar ends until I hooked a tree and face planted into another...now they scare the poo outta me.

I realize it wasn't the bar ends "fault", and that the same thing might've happened without...but fear is an irrational biotch
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

Saving lives with knives.
    Sapling-hooks?
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Been SS rider exclusively for last 7 years, and I swear by bar ends!! Don't care about fashion vs function garbage...They do their job better than any other option..I use Ergon grips as well, but don't like "bar end" options...I prefer adding a profile design bar end separately...Guaranteed, you will improve your climbing prowess instantly!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
    What brand/model are those? I want a set with some "behind the bar" surface area and those look like they have some. Thanks!
    Cane Creek makes some that go "behind the bar" a little bit. Also, Serfas makes some. They are cheaper, but look like they may not be as comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
    They are Singletrack Solutions ST Lite bar ends

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the info y'all. That will give me a direction to start. I have Ergons now but can't quite get them "right."

mtbr member
    The Ergons with the bar ends take a bit of fiddling to get them just right. Every time you adjust the grip the bar end angle changes and vice versa. Got to grip the hell out of the end you're not adjusting so it doesn't move. Or else I'm just doing it wrong!

Did I catch a niner+?
    I had bar ends for a few years on my SS. The problem I ran in to is on a bar with a lot of sweep (12 degrees) they put my hands in a weird position, too far back I felt. Now I run a 740mm bar (previously 690mm) with a pair of Ergon GE1 grips, I much prefer this setup now.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    have em, use em, love em...might go to dirt drops though. Not using super wide bars that are all the rage now though.

mtbr member
    I used the Singletrack Solutions bar ends for many years. They were excellent. But I no longer use bar ends because I went from 590mm to 710mm bars.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I use bar ends on my 720's but the 750's were too wide for ends as well.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 05-08-2015 at 03:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I used the Singletrack Solutions bar ends for many years. They were excellent. But I no longer use bar ends because I went from 590mm to 710mm bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I use bar ends on my 720's but the 750's were too wide for ends as well.

Same here. They felt a little ungainly on my 670's to me, no way would I consider them on the 740mm bars I have now.

I really believe that bar ends offer a superior climbing position for hands and wrists, similar to riding the drops on a road bike, but they work best paired with old school narrow bars.

mtbr member
    I have ergon grips... I used to have the ergon grip/bar-end combos... but I kept spinning out the bar ends... Guess I was grabbing too hard for too many rides...

So I use normal stubby aluminum bar ends with the ergon grips... that works for me !

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    At the 6hr on Sunday, there were only 3 places on the track you could spend time on the ends to relieve hand pressure and only 5 spots where the ends got used for climbing.
    The climbs were also so short and bumpy the fork compression damping was left about 1/3 open for the whole race.

After riding in the local hills for 4 months, I can't believe I did a race without really using the bar ends or suspension lockout...

mtbr member
    I've just seen these Ergon GP3 grips for the first time and like the look so much I will order a pair. Question is, Small or Large ? This website gives some idea of size but as I only have their photo to base my decision on, I really do not know.

At present, I am using these ODIs which I really like the size of.

Would you agree Large would be the closest match ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have Ergon GP3 grips on my ss and ht. Love them. Lots of hand positions for long rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    I have Ergon GP3 grips on my ss and ht. Love them. Lots of hand positions for long rides.
    large or small ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c8stom View Post
    large or small ?
    You should try them for size at the lbs. The packaging allows you to hold one grip in your hand. Large for me.

mtbr member
    Used the Cane Creek bar ends, ditched them when I went to my 800mm Kore Torsion bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    You should try them for size at the lbs. The packaging allows you to hold one grip in your hand. Large for me.
    Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, all the bike stores I know have never heard of them. It seems Ergon does not distribute to my country ( HK ) yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have an opinion on this! I had a steel single speed (just sold it) and experimented with bar ends. I had a long-ish stem, flat bars and bar ends. I found them VERY useful on the climbs and for long days in the saddle. However, I had two pretty large get-offs because the hooked bushes (not a branch or tree, just bushes!). both times I got pulled down while going pretty fast.

I ran bar ends for years while racing in the late '80s and through the 1990s, FYI.

I decided to take them off and go with a shorter stem/wider bar combo. This is the set up I enjoyed most (and it more closely matched my trail bike). I missed the multiple hand positions every once in a while, but this set up made the bike handle better and I still had great leverage on the bars for climbing. I also no longer hooked the bar ends.

If you can try out both solutions and see what you like best.

Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by algs911 View Post
    I have an opinion on this! I had a steel single speed (just sold it) and experimented with bar ends. I had a long-ish stem, flat bars and bar ends. I found them VERY useful on the climbs and for long days in the saddle. However, I had two pretty large get-offs because the hooked bushes (not a branch or tree, just bushes!). both times I got pulled down while going pretty fast.

I ran bar ends for years while racing in the late '80s and through the 1990s, FYI.

I decided to take them off and go with a shorter stem/wider bar combo. This is the set up I enjoyed most (and it more closely matched my trail bike). I missed the multiple hand positions every once in a while, but this set up made the bike handle better and I still had great leverage on the bars for climbing. I also no longer hooked the bar ends.

If you can try out both solutions and see what you like best.

Al
    I have really nice OnZa bar ends on my old bike which also use to race. On my latest custom bike which I ride 80% of the time, I do miss bar ends and want a smaller but functional set. I had considered reusing my OnZa but they just don't match. I will try the ergons as they tick all the boxes

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just a theory. Think of bar ends in the context of pull ups vs chin ups. When climbing, bar ends allow for chin up like strength vs wo bar ends - itís like a pull up. For me, bar ends allow for greater strength when mashing.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SS29erRigid View Post
    Just a theory. Think of bar ends in the context of pull ups vs chin ups. When climbing, bar ends allow for chin up like strength vs wo bar ends - itís like a pull up. For me, bar ends allow for greater strength when mashing.
    ^^This. Bar ends allow you to recruit more of your pecs (a big muscle) when climbing. Helps to power and muscle up stuff. I have always used them on my SS, and am currently on Ergon GS3ís.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I will never ride a bike with tree hooks. I did once, hooked a small tree and don't remember much after that. .
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

The perfessor
    - not a deal on the trails I ride so I use 'em......really does help on the climbs.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    ^^This. Bar ends allow you to recruit more of your pecs (a big muscle) when climbing. Helps to power and muscle up stuff. I have always used them on my SS, and am currently on Ergon GS3ís.
    Not only pecs, but biceps too. The Ďelbowí end actually wraps into between your forearm bones, so the muscle is inhibited when palm-down, or it would force you to turn palm up.

Iím a big fan of the stubby Serfas bar ends. Moving my hands from grips to bar ends is like adding a tooth to my cog in terms of climbing ability.

Bar Ends on a Singlespeed-984db9ed-cfc5-40e9-8f1f-8fc976f08f76.jpg
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Not only pecs, but biceps too. The Ďelbowí end actually wraps into between your forearm bones, so the muscle is inhibited when palm-down, or it would force you to turn palm up.

Iím a big fan of the stubby Serfas bar ends. Moving my hands from grips to bar ends is like adding a tooth to my cog in terms of climbing ability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	984DB9ED-CFC5-40E9-8F1F-8FC976F08F76.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1188179
    Post some pics of that bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Parallel grips do seem to help when it's time to get the power down, eg when climbing.

Drop bars do the same job if properly set up. Worth trying.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Post some pics of that bike
    Lol. Well, if youíre going to twist my arm...
    Suspension mode:
    Bar Ends on a Singlespeed-57a10949-afa7-49e2-b733-38d34c31b47c.jpg
    Rigid mode: (just installed my new Enve post)
    Bar Ends on a Singlespeed-741eaeab-12d6-4a17-b99c-243bba7a890f.jpg
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.