Back on an SS again..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Back on an SS again..

Its been a while since I have owned and ridden an SS. Maybe 2 years I think. Anyway, I have been spending most of my time on a 1x9 drop bar 29er, but recently bought another SS on a whim. I finally got a chance to ride it today. I have been thinking about my gearing choices and in particular still needed a chainring to make it rideable. I finally did the only right thing and stole the 32T chainring off of my 1x9 and got a first ride in today. Man...very pure. I immediately remember why I like riding an SS. I have a lot of things to still consider as far as build parts go, but even going back to 26" wheels was not a big deal, and man does this bike carve the singletrack compared to my long wheelbase Vassago. I am glad I have at least been riding 1x9 as the shock of one gear really wasn't that big of a deal. Looking forward to getting back into the SSwing of things again.

mtbr member
    Why did you leave SS in the first place?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sold a bike to cover the cost of another bike project, and the next thing you know I am riding 1x9. I buy and sell bikes all of time...its a bit of a habit, and one my wife has come to hate over the years. I used to always try and keep an SS in my stable of bikes, but after going to 29" and then 1x9 I just settled in for a while. The up-side of the 1x9 is that I don't spin-out, and overall that set-up with drop bars has been pretty decent as an all-arounder for me. I ride that bike a lot like an SS with a lot of out-of the saddle time. I have missed the simplicity and agility of an SS though, and glad I have come back to it. At 51 the 1x9 keeps me in pretty good shape, but I am hoping the SS will push me even harder. I love the way the Phil handles tight single track, and other than not really being used to a suspension fork its a great little bike.

V-Shaped Rut
    A 26er SS with good gearing feels a lot like a BMX bike to me. I think 29" wheels and SS were made for each other, but there is an acceleration and fun factor to a bike like that which is hard to beat.

Members who have read this thread: 0