Back to the gearie impressions.- Mtbr.com
    Slow riding mama's boy

Back to the gearie impressions.

I rode my geared bike (a Titus Switchblade) for the first time in a couple of months since getting my used Gunnar Ruffian.

Since I got the used Gunnar, I loved it so much that I swapped the good fork (Fox Talas RLC) and front Marta SL brakes onto it. Other upgrades included a ti seatpost and stem, new front disc wheel, azonic handlebar, and a new rear brake. Also picked up a XTR crankset which I am waiting for a Boone spiderless chainring for.

While the Gunnar was upgraded, the Titus was slummin. It took the Psylo C fork from the Gunnar without complaint, and it was tossed a Avid Mech front disc. I thought I should take it for a ride to make it feel loved, and I didn't even get out of the house before I realized

THIS BIKE FEELS LIKE A PIG!

Keep in mind the build is still pretty light. Light wheelset, carbon bar, Marta SL rear brake, etc. Still, it felt like it weighed a ton! I couldn't believe it.

On the trail, I did get reminded of the joys of gears. Nice top speed, ability to spin when needed, etc. I also realized that the Psylo is a piece of crap. I didn't notice how lousy it was until I could feel it contrasting with the rear suspension.

But I also realized that I don't want to go full top of the line to replace the fork. I'm feeling more budget conscious on the fully, and wanting top end stuff on the SS. Maybe it's a phase, huh? I would have never thought it would happen. My SS has become the main ride, although I wouldn't want to give up the fully and gears.

Joel

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yep.
    I know exactly what you mean about the FS bike feeling crappy after being on a SS.
    I had a post on a similar topic only about a week ago

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=57763