B.O.B. Trailer question....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

B.O.B. Trailer question....

i just got a BOB trailer from a friend of a friend who neglected to include the special quick release and pins, etc. i've searched some sites and ordered a QR for my geared bike, but as far as pulling it on my singlespeed, i think i might be screwed.

am i?

BOB makes bob nutz, but they are for solid axles only. i have spot hubs, and don't really want to throw a QR in place of the allen bolts. them things are structural!

has anybody solved this?

thx

m

mtbr member

Yo Flat Tire...

I was lucky enough to have an extra rear wheel with a surly hub. I use that with a through axle and the fun bolts for towing the BOB.
    I asked the same question with my king hub. I think you are out of luck. Maybe you might know someone that can build up a surly rear wheel for you???? donkey?????! Help a broder out would you!!?

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Flat Pluto Society

Why don't you ask B.O.B.?

I've always had good luck communicating with them via email- I'll bet they would be more than happy to help you with your question.

fp
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member

thanks homies.

fp - i sent BOB an e-mail as well as asking on here...you know, the old two pronged approach. haven't heard back from them yet.

andy- i've got a few surly wheels (just got into wheel building my own self), but all 700c. i just got a SS cx, so i could pull it with that.......i'd just have to stop being a wuss and ride it on the bumpy stuff. or get a squishy fork for it. hmmmm.....those rock shox 700c forks have been on e-bay lately.......hmmmm....

thanks all.

p.s. - sorry about the flats. i only did one. julie did the other one. actually, we didn't do it. the booze did. and donkey egged us on.

giddy up!

That's a tought one....

....although I have heard of people making bob compatible bolts for spot, paul, etc....

I say go to a fastener store like McFadden Dale and see if they have anything that you can make work.

I had the same problem with my king hub on the monkey.

Now you need to fill up a cooler and come out on fridays with us:-)
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

that's the plan, stan.

yep. we're all fired up on the FRED. just gotta bring BOB and mr. guinness. rock-it should be fun on my cx bike with 32's on it, eh?

"yeah, the liger is pretty much my favourite animal. it's bred for it's magical powers."

VOTE

FOR

PEDRO

mtbr member

BOB's reply.

here's what BOB replied with. oh well. off to the hardware store. anybody need anything?

Hello Mike,

We do not have any attachment system for your type of hub. I do not think we are coming up with anything any time soon. We have not had the demand for it so I don't think R&D department has plans for that type of attachment system. But I'll certainly pass your email along to them so they can take a look at it.

Best Regards,

Osvaldo Olmos

giddy up!

Smile I take it you saw the movie...

.....Every scene in the film that involves a bike is classic, particularily when Napoleon is towing Kip to Rex Kwon Do.

"Are you drinking %1 because you think you're fat?"
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    "picture yourself in the middle of the ocean. all is calm. then you notice that your surrounded by tiny little sea horses. thousands of them."

"yeah. that is pretty nice."

Dain Bramaged

Buuuummer

Quote Originally Posted by lazy72
    here's what BOB replied with. oh well. off to the hardware store. anybody need anything?

Hello Mike,

We do not have any attachment system for your type of hub. I do not think we are coming up with anything any time soon. We have not had the demand for it so I don't think R&D department has plans for that type of attachment system. But I'll certainly pass your email along to them so they can take a look at it.

Best Regards,

Osvaldo Olmos
    If you figure anything out please post. I am in the same boat through a stupid chain of events. Here goes...
    I bought a new Surly, so I ordered BOB Nutz for the Surly rear hub. They show up, but are the wrong thread count. I send them back, but while the new ones are shipping the Surly is stolen. Bummer. I figure what the heck, in the meantime I'll use the new BOB Nutz on my fixed gear. Nope - the fixie axle needs the Nutz I got in the first place!!

Before I can get something done about this I find a nice Spot on Ebay, which I now own. And of course you just pointed out a big problem with the Spot hubs. SO....in closing, I have a BOB trailer and no way to use it with 2 of my 3 bikes! Yikes!

Medium?

It seems like

you could get some stainless steel round stock of the right diameter, cut a pair of 1" pieces, and drill a hole in the center of them. Then get 1" longer hex bolts, and bolt the wheel on with one of the doohickeys on the outside of each dropout with the axle bolt going through it and the brass dropout washer. You could alleviate side-to-side play with some regular washers.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could have two washers welded onto each 1" piece and the "forks" of the trailer would be captive, like on the original.