I like endos

? for Azonic Steelhead XL owners

Hey, anybody who has one of these or has had one. Do you think the XL model could be set up something like this with an instigator fork, a long stem and post and 29"/26" geometry for a 6'1" rider for aggressive trail riding/racing? (by the way the instigator is a 100mm corrected rigid designed for 26" but it will fit a 29" wheel and offers less geometry change than a 29er fork)

I'm a big guy so I think the beefy construction would be sweet and I love the long seatpost look and short wheelbase, plus 29" front apparently rides quite nicely with 26" rear. Azonic claims the XL is for riders over 6' so I figured it would work but just wanted some insider opinions on whether this would make a good trailbike for a bigger sser or whether it is basically urban/jump specific. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

hands up who wants to die
    I sold my Steelhead, but i'm 6' and had the XL.

I think it will be close, but with a 400mm seatpost, it *should* be do-able in regards to proper leg extension.

I have no comments on the 29" issue, but let us know how it works out!

You realize this frame is about 7 lbs, right? One more thing - this is a really beefy frame with giant straight-gauge d-shaped 4130 chainstays. It is not a "forgiving" 853 frame.
    That being said, it's very versatile and cheap.

-rob in NY

I like endos
    You realize this frame is about 7 lbs, right? One more thing - this is a really beefy frame with giant straight-gauge d-shaped 4130 chainstays. It is not a "forgiving" 853 frame.
    That being said, it's very versatile and cheap.

-rob in NY[/QUOTE]

Huh, most of the things I've seen listed have it at more like 4.8 pounds. Are they wrong, or were you exxagerating to make a point? Also, like I said, I'm a big guy, like 205lbs. and pretty strong, so weight is not super impt to me. The bike in my pic was built up from a frame around 5lbs to weight about 25 total, which is acceptable to me. Any other advice would be great.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

hands up who wants to die
    No - I'm not exaggerating. I'm sorry if I came off flippant. The frame is way over 6 lbs; i'm not sure of the exact weight. 4.8 lbs is definitely not correct; Azonic chronically has incomplete/incorrect info on their products.

6 lbs is typical (maybe even a little light) for a hardcore dirt jumping / urban 4130 frame. If you want that style of frame, but in a lighter package, you may want to consider an aluminum frame or else perhaps an Endless or a Peyto. Maybe an Evil DOC. Regardless, you will need to shell out some more $$, probably.

what frame is that you have in your pic?

-r
    Last edited by rpet; 05-24-2005 at 10:58 AM.

I like endos

that actually is an endless frame.

which I would love to have, but I can't seem to find out how much they cost. Do you know? Also I've considered a Santa Cruz Chameleon, which is about 4.1lbs. Thanks for the heads up. That bike actually belongs to the owner of endless bikes.

locked - time out
    I love my Steelhead SS - granted, it is the only SS I've had that I've ridden trails with. I imagine that your idea would work out just fine, there are lots of people running 5&6" forks on their Steelheads (I'm running 4" on mine - not sure where your proposed setup would fall in this range). I have a Thomson 410 seatpost on order right now, as I am not able to get full leg extension with any of the other posts I've tried. The frame is heavy, but I think it makes a great trailbike, if you are not too hung up on the weight issue. I've taken mine on plenty of rides with some sustantial climbs and it feels fine. I'm 5"10" FWIW

BTW -The frame weighs around 6.75 or so

I believe that the Endless Lifetime frame above costs somewhere around $750, but think that they may be hard to get ahold of.

I like endos

my proposed setup

would fall somewhere in between 4" and 5", rigid. The thing that concerns me is the weight, really. If we're talking about a 7lb. frame, I'm probably better off with an endless or a santa cruz chameleon. Thanks though- by the way, how much does your complete bike weigh?

I like endos

actually...

i just looked and the endless seems to be about a 6lb. bike as well. Just food for thought.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    would fall somewhere in between 4" and 5", rigid. The thing that concerns me is the weight, really. If we're talking about a 7lb. frame, I'm probably better off with an endless or a santa cruz chameleon. Thanks though- by the way, how much does your complete bike weigh?
    I'd guess somewhere around 31lbs - haven't weighed it yet though, and I am currently running a VERY heavy tubular cromo set of FSA cranks.

I like endos

pic

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I'd guess somewhere around 31lbs - haven't weighed it yet though, and I am currently running a VERY heavy tubular cromo set of FSA cranks.
    hey can you post a pic of your steelhead? I'd like to get some idea what I"m looking at. Also, is yours the XL?

locked - time out
    hey can you post a pic of your steelhead? I'd like to get some idea what I"m looking at. Also, is yours the XL?
    Please excuse the crummy camera phone pic. Mine is an XL, I have a long upper-body

ogarajef@luther.edu

Here is mine with the instigator fork on it. If you want I can put a 29" wheel in the front and snap a pic to show you what it would look like. And yes the frame is heavy, but strong.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

I like endos

is that an xl?

Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1
    Here is mine with the instigator fork on it. If you want I can put a 29" wheel in the front and snap a pic to show you what it would look like. And yes the frame is heavy, but strong.
    If it is, go ahead with the 29er, I'd love to see it, if not, you can do it anyway, but it might not accurately look like what I"m thinking of because of the size difference. I guess what I"m saying is, sure, I'd love to see what it looks like.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    If it is, go ahead with the 29er, I'd love to see it, if not, you can do it anyway, but it might not accurately look like what I"m thinking of because of the size difference. I guess what I"m saying is, sure, I'd love to see what it looks like.

It is not the XL, but the only diff. is 1 inch on the top tube. I will take some pics. I should have them up in 10 minutes or so.

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Here you go. Looks sort of weird but It rode well end felt like I could ride over anything.

I've got an XL steelhead trail/commuter ss. I am over 6 feet tall and it's fine with a Thomson 410mm post. I have a 5 inch dirtjumper on it and it's a little too chopper up front but not bad enough for me to switch the springs until the next fork service.

Weight doesn't register with me. I have too much to lose to worry about it. Try the 29er thing up front and let us see it.

The steelhead is a great urban/commuter/jumper bike b/c it's cheap and strong.

ganze

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Instigator fork

If you decide to do this, I have an Instigator fork for sale, don't know if the steer tube would be long enough though...

Here, I paid, so I spam:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval