Axle to Crown Measurements- Mtbr.com
    Mtn Biker Machinist

New question here. Axle to Crown Measurements

When measuring fork length, you measure from the center of the axle to the crown, but where on the crown? Is it to the crown race? I wonder because I just ordered a surly 1x1 fork, and got to measuring my old Marin rigid fork, and it seems to be about 16.1 inches(about 410 mm) from axle to the crown race. Am I just stupid, or did I just order a suspension corrected rigid fork for nothing?

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    When measuring fork length, you measure from the center of the axle to the crown, but where on the crown? Is it to the crown race? I wonder because I just ordered a surly 1x1 fork, and got to measuring my old Marin rigid fork, and it seems to be about 16.1 inches(about 410 mm) from axle to the crown race. Am I just stupid, or did I just order a suspension corrected rigid fork for nothing?
    Surly 1x1 axle to crown is 413mm:

http://www.surlybikes.com/forks.html

What's wrong with the original Marin fork?
    Cancel the order.
    keep moving

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    There was no "standard" for fork length before suspension. Forks could vary widely.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Mtn Biker Machinist

Reasons why

The Marin fork seemed to drop the front end significantly after changing from a Manitou SX-R 80mm, so I thought the surly would raise it back up. Plus the it doesn't have disc mounts, and I want to run a disc up front. My original question is still am I measuring right? I even compared the length of the Marin to a '98 Manitou that has 65mm travel, and to my '02 Skareb with 80mm, and it is definitely shorter than both. Can anyone clarify cuz I'm still confused?! thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Put a screwdriver in the dropouts and measure from the driver to the fork crown race seat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    The Marin fork seemed to drop the front end significantly after changing from a Manitou SX-R 80mm, so I thought the surly would raise it back up. Plus the it doesn't have disc mounts, and I want to run a disc up front. My original question is still am I measuring right? I even compared the length of the Marin to a '98 Manitou that has 65mm travel, and to my '02 Skareb with 80mm, and it is definitely shorter than both. Can anyone clarify cuz I'm still confused?! thanks
    Don't forget to take fork sag into account when the fork is loaded with your weight on the bike. You want to compare the suspension fork axel to crown when it is sagged. And if you are going to run a FAT tire, take that into account too.
    Example: I replaced a Judy T2 80mm fork and 2.1" tire with a Surly 1x1 and a 2.7" tire. The result is the ride geometry of the bike is unchanged. The Surly 1x1 was a little shorter than the sagged Judy but the FAT tire resulted in a 27" wheel. The 1/2 inch of extra wheel radius compensated for the slightly shorter Surly axel to crown length