Axle to Crown Length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Axle to Crown Length

I'm in the search for a steel rigid fork. I'm currently running a tora on my Kona Unit...which is way too heavy... I have my eye on salsa's cromoto grande 29er steel fork, which has an axle to crown length of 468 mm. It seems kind of small compared to a lot of the other forks out there. I know Niner just switched to an axle to crown length of 470 mm from the old 490 mm. Does anybody know what the benefit is? I'm running a small 16 inch frame, too. Tire clearance should be fine, right?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Apaulo88; 02-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your bike was designed around a specific axel to crown hgt. fork, changing the number from say a 43.5 to a 47cm fork will raise the BB height and the front end about an inch and a half. It will also change the virtual seat and head tube angles. Going the other way 47 down to a 43cm number, you would lower your BB and make your virtual head and seat angles steeper.
    A cm may not make much of a noticable difference but going from an old skool 42 to a new 48 would really change the way your bike rides.
    Back in the day 60-80 mm travel was the standard, now we are at a 100mm or greater travel available so newer bikes are usually designed around a slightly taller fork.
    There has been a bit of backlash on the taller forks and some builders like Sean at Soulcraft are building their 29ers at the 43.5cm range with the thought the longer rigid forks put too much leverage on the headtube. I am thinking he has seen a few snapped head tubes in his day.
    Bottom line advice is your new fork should probably have a fork axel to crown within a cm or so of the original design intended so it will ride like it is designed to ride.

mtbr member
    Unit or Unit 29er?

If it is the 29er - the Cromoto Grande will be spot on for your bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @MMcG Yes, it's the Unit 29er. Good to hear! You have one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just had time to look up the rest of the story. The Kona P2 fork for the Unit rig says it is 46.5. The 46.8 of the Salsa would work no problems at all. I don't think I would go to the super high numbers like the Older Niner. I am guessing that they probably snapped a few of those forks and went back to a shorter alex to crown. I would bet that the Salsa would work great as a replacement.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Awesome, Salsa it is. Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    If you want to stick with a P2 and don't mind v-brake posts - go to Cool Bike Parts and Accessories from the Coast of Maine since 1976 and look for their $29.99 P2 29er forks! A major bargain!

Bikeman Kona P2 29er Disc & Canti Fork

Members who have read this thread: 1