Avid & Midge Qs... Shig, I'm looking at you...- Mtbr.com
    hispanic mechanic

New question here. Avid & Midge Qs... Shig, I'm looking at you...

Anyone use the Avid road disc brake on their MTB? I'm looking at using them on the Wily, so that I won't have to buy brake levers, too. Are they as powerful as the BB-7?
    As far as the Midge goes, does anyone have an idea of how much more stem length/rise I'll need to get in about the same reach as my MonkeyLite?

Thanks!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Anyone use the Avid road disc brake on their MTB? I'm looking at using them on the Wily, so that I won't have to buy brake levers, too. Are they as powerful as the BB-7?
    As far as the Midge goes, does anyone have an idea of how much more stem length/rise I'll need to get in about the same reach as my MonkeyLite?

Thanks!

the los
    The Avid Road Disc works GREAT with STI road levers. I have them on two bikes including the Beast (Coiler DL).

If you are running SS use the MTB discs and Dia Compe 287V levers.

Stem: Do not know. Start with the cheap 40 degree stems.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

hispanic mechanic

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Avid Road Disc works GREAT with STI road levers. I have them on two bikes including the Beast (Coiler DL).

Stem: Do not know. Start with the cheap 40 degree stems.
    I 'preciate it!
    I hoped you had tried them.
    Well, now I guess I just have to wait... I hate waiting.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005
    A question for you shiggy... How much lever travel do you get with the STI road levers and the avid road discs. I just set up a commuter with these brakes and am not very happy with the amount of lever travel I have. I have the pads set so that they are as close as possible to the discs, which were kind of tweaked right out of the box, but I have them pretty darn straight now after lots of tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by mxbulldog
    A question for you shiggy... How much lever travel do you get with the STI road levers and the avid road discs. I just set up a commuter with these brakes and am not very happy with the amount of lever travel I have. I have the pads set so that they are as close as possible to the discs, which were kind of tweaked right out of the box, but I have them pretty darn straight now after lots of tweaking.
    Do sure what your question is.

I can set up the brake feel any way I want and have plenty of lever travel.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have *too much* lever travel??
    Playing around with the cam/lever position on the brake unit lets you tune the amount and feel of the braking action.

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Sounds like you have *too much* lever travel??
    Playing around with the cam/lever position on the brake unit lets you tune the amount and feel of the braking action.
    Yeah, that is exactly it. I have raced motocross for about 20 years and ridden sportbikes for a few years, and am used to strong brakes that engage without much lever travel, and I have all of my mountain bikes set up this way, with avid mechanicals too. Now I just got a Brodie Romax 'cross bike to set up as a commuter, geared at this time unfortunately. But, I have tried messing around with the pad adjustments and have had no luck with getting the brakes to engage as quickly as I would like.
    So, you are saying that if I move the cam on the caliper I can change the engagement?

Thanks for the help..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lever pull

Mxbulldog how old are your brakes.
    I am using shimano levers with avid road disc on my SS CX bike and at first I had the same problem that you describe, but after about 4 or 5 good rides the lever feel seemed much better. I would think that the STI levers would have the same amount of pull.
    When you do sort it out the brakes are great.
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, that is exactly it. I have raced motocross for about 20 years and ridden sportbikes for a few years, and am used to strong brakes that engage without much lever travel, and I have all of my mountain bikes set up this way, with avid mechanicals too. Now I just got a Brodie Romax 'cross bike to set up as a commuter, geared at this time unfortunately. But, I have tried messing around with the pad adjustments and have had no luck with getting the brakes to engage as quickly as I would like.
    So, you are saying that if I move the cam on the caliper I can change the engagement?

Thanks for the help..
    I run my lever contact close to the bars but there is plenty of pull to do it your way.

The levers will always feel a bit soft because of the high leverage.

Setup makes a difference, too. Full length housing tends to work better. The routing should be as straight as possible even if you have to by pass the frame guides.

After the brake beds in there is more adjustment range, too.
    mtbtires.com

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005
    I run my lever contact close to the bars but there is plenty of pull to do it your way.

The levers will always feel a bit soft because of the high leverage.

Setup makes a difference, too. Full length housing tends to work better. The routing should be as straight as possible even if you have to by pass the frame guides.

After the brake beds in there is more adjustment range, too.
    Thanks shiggy and Neville. My brakes do have full housing, with pretty good routing. But, they are brand new, so maybe after they bed in it will get better. thanks again, and I hope they get better than they are.