Aussie single speeder needs new rig!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Aussie single speeder needs new rig!

Hey all,

I used to read these forums religiously then year 11 at school hit in and ive had less time than i would like to spend trawling the net, mtbr especially. Anyway its summer holidays YAY! I've just got a job at a bike shop building bikes, fixing bikes (more fun than building) and the odd sales stuff. With the cash I'm earning i think its till to get a new SS rig, I want something which will be light. I would love to have a 10kg bike, but I also want good components on it.

I don't know what sort of frame to get but I am thinking aluminum rather than steel because of the weight difference, and I am quiet happy with my hardtail xc rig. At the moment my single speed is an old p1 with a manitou axel fork, dmr hub and just random parts. It does the job for a single speed but the geometry isnt flash. One of my friends is selling an eno eccentric hub laced to a dt 4.1 rim, so any frame would be suitable.

My options for frames are;
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Giant-ATX-Tea...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2007-Giant-XT...QQcmdZViewItem
    Another non single speed specific frame
    A single speed specific frame
    Or a custom built frame built by the head mechanic at works friend. I dont know how much that will cost though.

What frame would you guys suggest? Also what sort of fork would you suggest?

Once i have ideas on fork and frame ill look at other parts.

Sweep the leg!
    I poked around on eBay.au for a bit and found these options as well. You didn't mention a budget (Mum & Pops paying?) and I'm guessing 17" would be your size.

Scandium frame 1.45kg

Giant XTC carbon

A basic aluminum frame, but you'd need to live near enough to pick it up in person
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    If you work at a shop - can't you EP a frame from said shop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nah, im paying for it with the money earnt from my job. I could purchase a frame through the bikeshop I work at but I dont know whether that will be very successful because they are based around brands like sonar, SE, fuji and giant being their high end stuff. I saw that scandium frame looks good. Is scandium stronger? Or is it just lighter? I'm off to work now so I will ask around and see what kinda of frame I can get from work, also how much that custom fame would cost.

Thanks for the ideas

Sweep the leg!
    You made me do research... Scandium is an element which is added to existing alloys which are predominantly aluminum. Why? I didn't know so I went to Easton's site...

From Easton's info site...
    Where Scandium Shines
    The critical advantage that Easton’s proprietary Scandium alloys (Sc7000) bring to the party is the ability to minimize recrystallization after welding (see photos). Heat causes the grain size of aluminum to increase. Scandium helps to control this. EDIT
    Easton wasn’t content to start with typical 6000 or 7000 series alloys. Instead, Easton’s R&D department started with a proprietary alloy that had been in development for four years. With its unique chemistry this alloy exhibited exceptional strength — 68 ksi. With the addition of Scandium, the new alloy’s weldability was dramatically enhanced. Sc7000 was born.
    Finally Easton had realized the potential of Scandium. Higher strength combined with the lower density of aluminum allowed for lighter, smaller diameter tubing. Better compliancy was realized without sacrificing fatigue life.
    Lighter, more lively frames. Less harshness and better feel. Easton’s Sc7000 has now become the choice of cyclists worldwide.
    Another avenue you could pursue is to contact a company your shop doesn't do business with, explain to them what you want, in the hopes their product may enlighten your management and their product might be brought into the store. Or that you see their product is superior even though it's not carried by the shop, and you want to make the purchase if they'll let you...
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for that caffeine powered. I think I will try and get an aluminum/scandium frame out of choice. I am considering A) giant two2one, B) Scandium frame shown above or C) http://http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2007-Giant-XTC-Team-MTB-Frame-17-Black-MOUNTAIN-BIKE_W0QQitemZ160183416717QQihZ006QQcategoryZ98083 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"

I can get a surly 1x1 through work but to be honest they dont really appeal to me:S. My dad has a Zion 853EBB which looks great, isnt TOO heavy but it feels weird. I suppose i'm used to my kinesis frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well i found a frame, a specialized stumpjumper m4 i think not sure what year but i got it for $200 aud with some other stuff like an xtr front der. and a thomson seatpost pretty good value IMO. They are all second hand but in good nick. Just need to find a good, affordable fork.....

Members who have read this thread: 0