anyone using the WTB or American Classic SS hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

anyone using the WTB or American Classic SS hub?

can someone explain the cog setup? do you need a spacer kit still or ?? what makes these SS specific since they are cog instead of freewheel based?

Peace & Love
    i use em, and like em a lot.

some of my nomenclature may be off...but i will try anyway...

single speed specific in that on a single speed cassette, the freehub body is shorter than on a normal geared cassette freehub body (ie, you dont need the single speed freehub body as long since you are not going to put on a 8/9-speed cassette). In turn, this allows the rear wheel to be built with no dish (ie, since the drive side does not require as much room for a freehub body thus, allowing a symetric build).

you will need to fiddle with spacers a tiny bit, but that is trivial to do. spacers are needed just to help you get a good chainline which is dependent other things of course....but easy nonetheless. Cog and spacers just slide one and the lockring is trivial to put on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    do you have the WTB or AC? I hear the AC are not as durable?

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by vortrex
    do you have the WTB or AC? I hear the AC are not as durable?
    I have American Classic wheels. I have heard the same....I have also heard that Maverick forks are not good (bunch of crap)......I have also heard that anything but a horst-link suspension is not good (bunch of crap)......

who knows, all I can say is my own personal experience has been very good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What would you buy???

Not to hijack this thread... but if I were buliding a NON disc wheelset and wanted to use a SS cassette hub, and am unwilling to buy the high end stuff (King, DT, etc), what should I look at as far as brands and models. Rear hub only, I can fend for myself on the front. I weigh 140lbs and am not hard on equipment. Cross country, trail riding, big rides. Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    AFAIK there are only two mtb SS non-disc cassette hubs: Chris King and American Classic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Peace & Love
    if cost were the drive I would simply use an existing cassette hub and just put a few spacers on and use it that way. Sure, with single speed hubs you get the theoretical advantage of a dishless wheelbuild but it aint gonna matter on the trail for most of us.

are you set on a cassette hub? i ask cause i think there are a lot of great choices that run freewheels if you do in fact want a new wheel built. I love Phil Wood....but not cheap. Heck, even stuff like Surly or On-One will work just fine. Sorry to diverge...I know you said cassette hub....I just dont have a bias towards one or the other.....especially if you put on a sweet ENO freewheel; like having a King hub all of a sudden. Plus, I think you have more choices this way in terms of excellent quality for not a fortune.

are you gonna put this on a single speed specific frame (ie, do you have horizontal dropouts, sliding dropout, or an eccentric dropout)? If a normal frame, I would strongly recomment a White Industries eccentric hub (though it is freewheel) but that is a sweet way to make it work.

Sound like you know the higher end ones like King, DT, Hadley, I9, etc...:

Not sure if cheapest is what you are looking for but if so, here are a couple. not sure if non-disc though.
    * Dimension Single Speed cassette hub (about $105)
    * Novatec (about $100)

and the WTB woudl be a nice choice too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thanks Fo and Shiggy!

I'm using an XT hub now and have no isssues with it. It's on a VooDoo Dambala, sliding dropouts. I know the White Ind freeewheel is good, I just hate to spend all that money when a good cassette hub does it all so well. I stole this wheelset off my Ibis (monster) cross bike and either need to put this wheelset back on the Hakkalugi or build a new wheelset for it. I am playing with the idea of an ENO for it cuz it has vertical dropouts. Too many options. I'm somewhat new to SS and am having a ball and loving it big time. I just am not too sure I should give up my option to run gears, being an old man and all. I'm leaning toward building up an ENO based wheelset for the Ibis and sell it if I ever were forced back into riding with gears again. I wish there was a less expensive option to the ENO for verticals dropouts. I could have track ends brazed on for what the hub and freewheel cost... but then I'd still need a hub.

Members who have read this thread: 0