Anyone using their SS for CX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone using their SS for CX?

Cross racing just came to town for the first time ever this year so I figured why not give it a try. I've done a couple practice races and 1 race so far and I'm loving it on rigid SS. I figured its better than bobbling around on my heavier susp bike and getting sand/mud clogged into the gears. ( FYI, geared bike is officially in pieces right now)

At first I just used my 32t ring and went down to a 15t cog, which normally works fine on the trails with my chain tensioner, but adding the skinny tires must have caused it bounce a lot more because in the race it would come off nearly every lap in the same rough section. Not going to have much success like that.

For this weeks practice race I tried putting on a 36t that Stumonky gave me, but I only had enough chain length to fit the 14t cog, and then just barely. It was a hard gear to accelerate, and it was on a tight course, but I did manage to keep two of the fastest guys around within my sights, and it was a sneaky move but I closed the gap and sprinted to contest one of them for 2nd.

For normal trail riding, shifting happens naturally for me, I just ride the SS because its more fun and challenging. But with CX you are constantly having to dismount or make 180 turns, downshifting is apparently very important (at least thats what all the other guys tell me). Can't wait for a sloppy race to get everyone's gearing junked up.

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0