Anyone using a converted Gunnar Rock Hound?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone using a converted Gunnar Rock Hound?

My main ride is a '91 Merlin Mountain set up rigid with an ENO hub. The thing is light as a feather, stiff, and rides like a dream. But I've been feeling kinda guilty about my (once main steed) Rock Hound collecting dust for the last 2+ years, so I stripped it down and converted it, figuring I'd ride it on longer, rougher rides (its got a Judy Race on front).

I went for some rides and tried real hard to like it, but it just didn't feel right. Yeah, it was heavier and a little bouncier in front, but that wasn't it. I can't really describe it well, but it felt like I was using 170 cranks or something --inefficient somehow. Then I realized it was mostly when standing (climbing) and I thought it might be BB flex. I remember this a little when I rode it geared. Any of you SS-converted Rockhound riders had problems with this or even noticed it?

Still love that Gunnar though. Just maybe not as a SS..
    Porrick

Medium?

Measure the Effective Top Tube length

Geometries have changed since the early '90s. Most bikes have shorter seat tubes and longer top tubes. The Gunnars have particularly long top tubes. If you like the other bike better, the Gunnar may be a bit too big (long) for you.

I feel very cramped if I try to ride an 18.5" or 19" bike now that I'm used to the 24.25" ett of the Gunnar. Mine is a Ruffian SS, if that matters, but the geometries are the same.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Geometries have changed since the early '90s. Most bikes have shorter seat tubes and longer top tubes. The Gunnars have particularly long top tubes. If you like the other bike better, the Gunnar may be a bit too big (long) for you.

I feel very cramped if I try to ride an 18.5" or 19" bike now that I'm used to the 24.25" ett of the Gunnar. Mine is a Ruffian SS, if that matters, but the geometries are the same.
    Completely agree with Fast Eddy. I have a Rockhound, but it is still set up as a gear bike. I happen to really like the longer top tube. I also like the way it climbs when I'm standing up or staying in the saddle and feel it is plenty stiff in the bottom bracket area. Ernesto from Wisconsin has converted his Rockhound with an ENO and loves it. My favorite bike is a rigid NiTi Stumpy that is aching to be converted. It's a great climber and a lot of fun. My current SS is a 95 Stumpy M2 that really likes being a single speed. It also has a long top tube. All 3 bikes have similiar geometry. You might just have really adapted to your old reliable. I'd give the Rockhound a little more riding time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oh yeah, top tube length........

Yeah, this makes sense to me. The geometries of the bikes are way different and I've adapted my riding style to the Merlin. One thing I may try is throwing a pair of risers on the Gunnar. I really like the MonkeyLites on the Merlin and this may help get me into a similar position on the Gunnar.

BTW Fast Eddie: I thought the Ruffian had a slightly different geometry than the Rock Hound. Like longer chainstays maybe? I'll have to take a look at the Gunnar site.....

Thanks y'all.
    Porrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rockhound SS

Get your Rockhound set-up for you and you'll be happy.

I have a Ruffian SS and Rockhound set up for SS and they're almost like twins. With horizontal dropouts the effective chainstay length will vary with the gearing as the hub changes position.

I run the Rockhound with 32x18 w/o tensioner. If that gearing works for your riding, you can save the price of an ENO and get another Monkeylite.