anyone using 29r/26r combo's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

anyone using 29r/26r combo's

Is any of you guys using the 29r front/26r back setup, if so did you use your existing 26r frames and modify seatpost/stem/bars......???? or do you have to have frame specific setups?

It looks like a go from my standpoint, but was wondering what you fellas are doing
    thanks
    missourisingletrackrider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by missourisingletrackrider
    Is any of you guys using the 29r front/26r back setup, if so did you use your existing 26r frames and modify seatpost/stem/bars......???? or do you have to have frame specific setups?

It looks like a go from my standpoint, but was wondering what you fellas are doing
    thanks
    missourisingletrackrider
    Consider that the 29" front is approximately 1.5" taller and you will see that a specific geometry would be desirable to accomplish this. Using the rough (very rough) rule of thumb that 1" front elevation slackens the head angle 1 degree, you can see the issue that comes up as it will affect the handling.
    Some years ago I built a frame using 26" front and 24" rear, with that purpose in mind ahead of time. It did what its design called for.

Peace & Love
    search the 29er forum....especially under "Carver" and/or "96er" and people will have a lot of opinions. not sure i agree with them but opinions nonetheless. even check out carverbikes.com to see what they have to say about it if you have not already.

cheers

King Pin

... and if we just ... Bbbb

My Vulture, the "big burly beige bird" has been run 29/26" since I obtained her. I love it!

No changes in cockpit controls nor seatpost, etc. The chainstays are perfectly horizontal with the earth whilst running the big front wheel....with Kona P2 fork, which is likely too short for this gigantium frame with a smaller wheel.

I'd go ahead a bolt a 29'er wheel back aft, IF it would fit...but alas it won't. I haven't found any drawbacks to the different wheels, though!

Mtn Biker Machinist

Waiting to try it! GRRRR USPS!

I have a 29er wheel/tire on the way via the postal (slower than frozen molasses) service, so when it arrives, I am dying to mount that bad boy and try it out. I actually have a too steep head angle with the surly rigid and 26 wheel, so I am hoping that the 29er wheel will compensate for this, I'll post pics if the mail ever gets the wheel here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep

I wanted to try it out but i wanted to do it cheap.
    I built up a 29 wheel with a Sun CR18 and Ignitor. I had a disc hub and spokes sitting around along with a SASS fork that the tire clears with only 1/4". I figured if it didn't work i'd sell the wheel. If it did, then I'd move on to more 29 experiments. My Kelly fork has more room so that will go on next and it has the same A-C measurement.

I put it on my 15" Gunnar SS(22" TT) and it rode well but toe overlap was mighty close. I have a 16" Gunnar(22.75" TT) and put the front end on that and it works much better to my liking with no overlap issues. The bike is about the same in height compared to how it would be with an 80mm sus fork w/o sag. The BB is at 12" which is lower than some of my other 26" bikes.

I only have several singletrack rides on it but for me, but I like it. I'll have to get more rides in before I form any opinions on it. I'm hoping to use the input for future plans to have a custom 29 frame made.

If you try it, IMO a rigid fork with 420mm A-C and a frame with adequate toe overlap is a good start. Also IMO, if you have to sink a lot of cash into it, a 29 bike is probably a better option (thinking of the 29" Redline for starters) Still, if you have the right frame and parts already, go for it.

mtbr member
    Dirt Rag just did a review on the Carver 96er (29" front, 26" rear). Issue 118.

French for "Suck"

Maybe I'm picky, but...

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I'd go ahead a bolt a 29'er wheel back aft, IF it would fit...but alas it won't. I haven't found any drawbacks to the different wheels, though!
    Wouldn't you need to carry two different sized tubes? Sorry if this is an ignorant question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeroplane
    Wouldn't you need to carry two different sized tubes? Sorry if this is an ignorant question.
    No question is ignorant.

Yes, unless you're running tubeless. I'd run tubeless for the 26 and tubed for the 29, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nope

I run 26" tubes in 29 wheels as do a lot of people.
    You just inflate them a little bit and they roll right over the rim into the tire.
    Make sure to use big 26" tubes, not the skinny 1.5-1.9" variety.

French for "Suck"
    So it is possible... you learn something new every day. This will be added to my cache of 29'er trivia, which includes the fact that 29" wheels are smaller in diameter than 27" wheels.

Cheers!

those are Rollercams...
    29 X 26 on my Inbred with the 420mm Knifen(Inbred) fork. I like it but I've never been on a full 29er to make an accurate appraisal of which is better.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Recovering couch patato
    I did it to my VooDoo Bokor with a 410mm Dimension Disc fork. Liked it to a 26/26 setup. 29/29 cannot be touched though, after I got my Fisher I took the front wheel from the Bokor and just it in a proper adult bike. Never had the slightest urge to use 26" rear for XC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    I run 26" tubes in 29 wheels as do a lot of people.
    You just inflate them a little bit and they roll right over the rim into the tire.
    Make sure to use big 26" tubes, not the skinny 1.5-1.9" variety.

I have put a 26" tube in a 20" BMX bike tire in a pinch. The wheel was way out of balance but it got me home.

Mtn Biker Machinist

finally got my wheel!

I got the wheel and tire last week, but today was the first time I rode it. Just 11 mi on the morning commute, so no trail rides on it yet. Feels different, steering is a bit interesting, due to the change in HT angle most likely, but I am stoked to get it dirty and test it on my usual trails. As you can see from the second pic, tire clearance is minimal (less than 1/8"), so I will probably perform a little creative modification of the surly fork, who needs reflector mounts anyway! Can't wait to try it on the trail but it may be a little while. Details below:

Zion 853 EBB 17" frame
    Sun CR18 29" rim/generic 6 bolt disc hub (front)
    WTB Exiwolf 2.3 tire (front)
    Rolf Dolomite Disc wheel (rear)
    Kenda kinetics 26x2.35 (rear)
    Surly 1x1 rigid fork
    Mary bar
    Ritchey stem
    Hayes hydros
    ODI rogue Lock ons
    generic seatpost
    Coda saddle
    Bonty cranks
    Race Face bb
    Sram PC-58 chain
    King Headset
    Surly 36t ring
    Bonty 42t ring machined down to a bashguard
    King 18t cog
    machined aluminum discos (love making stuff for my bike at the local tech college!)
    Light and fenders for commuting
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1 cog frog; 01-20-2006 at 10:22 AM. Reason: forgot some details

Members who have read this thread: 0