Anyone try Heated Hunting socks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone try Heated Hunting socks?

Having issues with my feet (have Gout) and I need to be sure and keep my toes from getting frost bite. I have Lake Winter shoes but they don't fit well. I'm thinking about just running heated hunting socks with my high top style riding shoes. Has anyone tried the heated socks? Do they work well, and how cold did you use them?

Thanks,

Scott
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had some battery powered ones. They didn't work at all. Maybe some expensive ones would. If you're going to roll with just shoes definitely get some neoprene covers to block the wind. Are the "Lake Winter Shoes" the MXZ 30x boots? What size are they and why don't they fit? Are they too large? If too large, try adding some more socks. I wear a sock liner, a wool sock, a regular shoe, and neoprene covers right now and it's working great. It's only been down to about 10 degrees. Most days I don't bother with the cover.

mtbr member
    we dont get very many very cold days down here in dallas. on a few of the very cold days over the past few years, i have used the small heat packets that will fit in my shoes that are activated by exposure to air. they seem to work ok most of the time. you can usually find them in or around the hunting section of wally mart.

mtbr member
    Check these out. Kind of spendy though.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Having issues with my feet (have Gout) and I need to be sure and keep my toes from getting frost bite. I have Lake Winter shoes but they don't fit well. I'm thinking about just running heated hunting socks with my high top style riding shoes. Has anyone tried the heated socks? Do they work well, and how cold did you use them?

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott, I do not remember if you are a big coffee drinker, but I had issues with cold hands and feet until a buddy mentioned that caffeine constricts the capillaries. I cut back on my coffee (started with 1/2 reg / 1/2 decaf) and noticed a huge difference in a week.

Are you still using the Lake insoles? I found they made more difference in warmth than the shoe itself. Writing that, I just remembered K. Bontrager recommending cutting insoles from 1/8" cork gasket material for insulation and comfort. I have done that for summer shoes. need to make some for my winter shoes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The problem with battery heated socks is the battery, it needs to be mounted where it doesn't bounce around. A few in our group tried them, and they were generally considered a failure.

These, however, have been very good:

Google "hand foot warmers" for sources

Several riders regularly use these though the winter, and they work well. If you are running clipless, the cleat is like a big refrigerator (big metal heat sink close to your foot), and these counter that effect very well. Keeping the shoe somewhat loose fitting helps too, as tight fitting cycling shoe restrict circulation.

mtbr member
    Don,

I do drink too much Ale-8-One (www.ale8one.com), which does have caffeine. I normally am fine down to the mid 20's but not last night. Very cold at 30(toes got hard and near frost bit). My Lakes don't fit well anymore, my feet are changing some with the gout and age. Just sold them, might get a larger size but thought about trying other solutions first.

The cork makes sense. I run some older shimano hightop style shoes for cold rides now and they generally work well. The cold seems to be coming throught the sole, probably the cleat as itsdoable suggests. I'll give the heat packets a try first.

Thanks everyone.

Scott
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

trail rat
    Interesting on the caffeine, Shiggy. I know it dilates capillaries, and my winter survival training says to avoid it, plus alcohol, of course. I have cut way back on coffee and it did not seem to change much for me. YMMV

MellowCat, do you regularly take aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. as an analgesic/anti-inflammatory? My problem has been Ibuprofen; broken bones from crash last January have healed, but old age creeps in and the shoulder still aches on rides. Doc recommended two Ibuprofen four to five times a day; I do not understand the pharmacology, but not taking it before rides and I stay warmer.

I've recently been diagnosed having hypothyroidism, and placed on meds for correcting that to increase my metabolism, but that, or age is getting me I guess, and I am having trouble below 40 degrees now. Picked up some Pearl Izumi mtn shoe covers for 50 bucks, and using the Grabber hand (10pr/$15) and toe (8pr/$12) warmers mentioned above.

Past injuries, age and health issues are just not going to keep me off the bike!

Good luck, keep riding!
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

No really, I am that slow
    I second the neoprene booties. Inexpensive & make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    I do take meds sometimes for the gout. Indocin is the drug most commonly prescribed. Its like taking 20 Ibuprofens(or at least for me it is). Makes me fall to sleep. I don't take the Indocin unless I have a flare up though. I would research your Doc's recommendation about Ibuprofen more if I was you, that stuff is not good on your system. Caused my sister in law to have ulcers. Also known to increase your risk for heart issues.

I'm looking at shoe covers and heater pads now. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    Wow. Crazy stuff, remote control foot beds!

Members who have read this thread: 0