Anyone try this chain tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone try this chain tensioner?

So, anyone with experience using this model? I know its not true SS using a tensioner but sometimes you just got to!

Anyone try this chain tensioner?-single_speed_tensioner.jpg

Also, how are the tabs on the inside of the wheel mounting plate supposed to help? Looks to me like they would just make the wheel crooked? Is it for some special frame there the tabs fit into a matching slot maybe?

Anyone try this chain tensioner?-single_speed_tensioner2.jpg

The model can be found on Ebay, just search for "single speed tensioner".

So, is it any good!?

mtbr member
    how is that attached to the bike? does it go on the derailleur hanger?

mtbr member
    I believe it sits in the dropout slot together with the wheel and the wheel axle goes through the hole. Just to me it feels like the "upper" tab should not be there for it to sit flush and not make the wheel sit crooked.

mtbr member
    did you try contacting the seller? I would ask there and wait for an answer rather than waiting for hearsay on this forum.

at risk of making an uninformed comment: yeah, if it's supposed to attach to the axle inside the dropouts, that's a horribly flawed design that will never work. utterly useless for a mountain bike. some of those listings show it being used on a folding bike, which would have different spacing and is probably designed with an internal-gear hub in mind. those IGHs usually have a washer with a tab similar to that to keep the axle from changing orientation to make the gears work.

mtbr member
    Well, i did ask for input from anyone with experience of this model and not hearsay. Will see if any real information comes along soon.

About asking the seller i have low expectations, they are just bought in bulk i think and passed on for a profit. I much more trust the members of a bike forum full of enthusiasts.

Upcyclist
    Looks like it's meant for folding bikes.

By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send chazpat cookies.

mtbr member
    If you want a tensioner that works without problems, buy a Rohloff DH tensioner. I use it to run my full suspension bikes as SS.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    The Rohloff one looks like a pretty serious piece of kit! I might do that.

About the one in the OP, I think you guys are correct. Its designed to fit into horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts only and not vertical, so does not really fit into the normal SS conversion use case anyway.

mtbr member
    related- all of the frames except my first one have had ss-specific features to tension the chain. when I consider buying a new frame, I have to block out 99.5% of what's on the market because I don't want to deal with a tensioner. that Rohloff item looks like it might be worth the compromise to run a tensioner, which opens up the possibility to ride any frame on the market. thanks for sharing that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    related- all of the frames except my first one have had ss-specific features to tension the chain. when I consider buying a new frame, I have to block out 99.5% of what's on the market because I don't want to deal with a tensioner. that Rohloff item looks like it might be worth the compromise to run a tensioner, which opens up the possibility to ride any frame on the market. thanks for sharing that one.
    Yep, same here and i assume for a lot of us hanging in this part of the forum. It is pretty frustrating having to make due with .5% of the market =)

mtbr member
    is the chainline on that Rohloff piece adjustable? I will dig into the instructions on their website, but I had to download a book of a PDF to get to it.

mtbr member
    is the chainline on that Rohloff piece adjustable? I will dig into the instructions on their website, but I had to download a book of a PDF to get to it.
    Yes,
    I've used it on my non boost Norco Revolver and my boost Specialized Epic full suspension bikes. You need to adjust where you put the dog, but that is easy enough with a single speed spacer kit.

I was bound and determined to run a full suspension single speed and this was the only one on the market that worked flawlessly.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am on my 3rd tensioner and so far i like the shimano Alfine the best. i had the singleator style and that was ok. then i got the Alfine and that this is very nice. it is a bit heavy but runs smooth. i now have the torqlite UL from origin 8 and so far so good. much lighter than the Afline. time will tell if it works better.

A friend of mine runs the singleator style and likes it. only downsize was limited cog adjustablity with out addin/ removing chain links.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    You need to adjust where you put the dog [cog?], but that is easy enough with a single speed spacer kit.
    that worries me. if I adjust the cog to line up with the tensioner, but that is significantly out of line with the chainring, which cannot be adjusted much or at all in some cases, it could cause problems. I would rather install the cranks, adjust the cog spacing to line up with the immovable chainring, the adjust the tensioner to match that. I'll have to see what the chainline is on Rohloff hubs to see if it would match up.

mtbr member
    that worries me. if I adjust the cog to line up with the tensioner, but that is significantly out of line with the chainring, which cannot be adjusted much or at all in some cases, it could cause problems. I would rather install the cranks, adjust the cog spacing to line up with the immovable chainring, the adjust the tensioner to match that. I'll have to see what the chainline is on Rohloff hubs to see if it would match up.
    Yes cog. Lol

There are washers and different steel bushings in the kit.

Nothing to be "worried" about.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/use...015_03_web.pdf

page 68-69

Name:  rohloff.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  30.9 KB

yeah, that looks like it has a fair amount of adjust ability. therefore, I would probably be into putting that on just about any frame and calling it a day.

Category Winner
    Rohloff was plenty adjustable. I used one on my Bronson.

Sold the bike tho... tensioner sitting in the parts bin now.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.