anyone with tomicog experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

anyone with tomicog experience

i am building a surly 1x1, and though i will be riding primarily with a freewheel, i like the option of switching to fixed on occasion. i know the tomicog works by replacing the disc rotor with it but is it an easy switch that could be done on a regular basis depending on what mood i am in or would it be easier to have a separate wheel in the long run.

AZ
    banned
    It would be easier to have a second wheel , alot less wear and tear on the threads also .

Retro Grouch
    +1 Constantly switching would be a bad idea; disc screws have a locking compound on them and constant R&R could cause them to come loose. A better idea would be to run a canti-rear brake. That way you can flip/ flop any time you want and keep the Tomi-cog installed.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    +1 Constantly switching would be a bad idea; disc screws have a locking compound on them and constant R&R could cause them to come loose. A better idea would be to run a canti-rear brake. That way you can flip/ flop any time you want and keep the Tomi-cog installed.
    what he said
    no chain no gain.

trail rat
    Yes, been using two for about two years.

Initially did the mullet brake option, disc front with a V rear so I could flip flop the wheel, and keep the rear brake as I learned fixed off road.

Now I have an extra wheel that is TomiCog only and skip the rear brake completely. It is my gravel grinder and quick night trail ride for fitness, nothing long and steep.

Next month I plan to build a dedicated wheel with the Surly fixed disc hub, so I can have a brake again.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

I am the owl
    Of course having a second wheel would be easier, but swapping will not be an issue. Use proper tools and torque and don't cross thread your bolts and you'll be fine.

I've got my Surly 1x1 set up with the mullet (disc front, v-brake rear) and the Tomicog. Like aka Brad said, this is the way to go.

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Members who have read this thread: 0