Anyone take stickers off a Zion 853?- Mtbr.com
    Rider Found Dead

Anyone take stickers off a Zion 853?

I took the little green sticker off the seat tube, which was easy. I'd like to take off the white stickers from the headtube and top tube, but they look like they may be under the clearcoat, and I don't want to muck up a brand new frame. Just wondered if anyone else has already tried.

Thanks, Philber.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Philber
    I took the little green sticker off the seat tube, which was easy. I'd like to take off the white stickers from the headtube and top tube, but they look like they may be under the clearcoat, and I don't want to muck up a brand new frame. Just wondered if anyone else has already tried.
    Someone else here just rattle-can'd them.

mtbr member
    Leave them on and rejoice in your internet frame as you ride by your closing LBS.

Rider Found Dead

I guess that's a dig ...

... but I patronize my LBS just fine thanks. My LBS makes their money mostly on comfort bikes and service, not on steel SS frames. I buy high margin stuff there, like cables, shoes, clothes and accessories. And I steer a lot of people there to buy bikes. If they go OB it won't be because I bought a $299 frame online. They happily installed the BB and the fork - probably more margin than they would make on selling a special order frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    A buddy that WORKS at the LBS just bought one, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... get out the rattle can!!

Thanks, Philber.
    I just rattle canned my 2004 flight monocog for the same reason, my 2000 model steel monocog had the stickers applied on top so it was easy to take the stickers off. I took Shiggies advise and hand sanded the frame and fork down some then rattle canned it, I'm still waiting for more nice weather so I can finnish the clear coat. It's taking a little more money and quite a bit more time then I was thinking it would but it should be worth it.
    Two tone, dark gun metal gray metalic and metalic cobalt blue.

Rider Found Dead

Cool ...

That's gonna look real nice.

The only reason I want to take the white stickers off is because I've got some really nice Steal Your Face (Grateful Dead) metal stickers (same image as my Avatar, but with gold trim instead of white), and it's kind of a tradition for me to use them as headbadges on all my bikes (after the badge on my very first real mountain bike, a Giant, fell off after about two days). The Zion logo, which I don't mind at all, sticks out above and below the metal sticker, so it doesn't look quite as good as if it wasn't there. My hope was to strip the stickers off completely, and then just put one metal sticker on the headtube and one on each side of the top tube. I think with the gold, red, white and blue, that would look pretty darn good on flat black. But alas, I'm not up for rattle canning a frame right now. I'll be happy if I get the wheels built before the snow flies!

don't try this at home

Thanks, Philber.
    so have you figured out to remove the stickers? i'm thinking of getting one of these for my wife but she's not into the stickers either.

Rider Found Dead

Nope ...

... and I've given up. I tried to peel up a corner with my fingernail, just to see if there was any hope of getting them off cleanly, and it wasn't even close. I think they're under the clearcoat, which means it would be a mess to take them off. They don't bother me that much. At least it's just white on black - for my riding buddies that will be a welcome change from the garish red, white and blue Jamis Dakar with yellow tires and orange pedals that I've been riding. I got voted 'most colorful' at one of our winter rides last year - a most dubious honor.