Anyone still fixed?- Mtbr.com
    Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Anyone still fixed?

I've gotten fairly bored running around my local loop so I started looking at options to make it a little more challenging.

I found one.
    It is riding fixed off road.

So, not being one to be patient, I ordered a Tomicog last weekend and I'm looking forward to an entirely different experience in the woods. In my excitement I decided to read all about riding fixed in the woods. Then I noticed something: almost all the posts are from a couple years ago.

Is anyone still riding fixed? If you quit, why? If you stuck with it, then tell me why I should be excited!
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fixed riders simply spend too much time out riding to post

Seriously, though, fixed offroading is great fun and after a while becomes second nature. I think you'll find plenty of reasons to feel excited once you start tackling challenging obstacles, technical downhills, and once your riders take you further and further from home. Learn to accept the fact that your environment will not understand you, though. If ss'ing is fringe, then off road fixing is simply wrong in the eyes of the cycling world.

mtbr member
    HuldaCrooks4_27_11 - YouTube

I got more fixed dirt bike videos on my YouTube account.

mtbr member
    I'll go fixed again when it starts to snow.
    Ride more!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I built up a fixed CX-type rig over the summer to add some spice to my local trails (fireroads, essentially no technical stuff at all). But then I moved to Reno, and I find that I like being able to at least coast on the trails around here. So the fixed gear has taken over commuting duty.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Mr Bee, thanks for the vid!

I guess I stopped caring what people think about my choice of recreation a long time ago. Winter camping, racing sled dogs, riding singlespeed, whatever.... I'm here to have fun, however that might be.

Although now I'm intrigued, why fixed in the snow? I mean, other than avoiding potential hub freezeups...
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Man, I was riding a trail today wishing I had my fixed wheel instead of my freehub. It just depends on mood. I have a dedicated fixed wheel, so the swap is easy. Mostly I save the fixed for bad weather or riding alone.

The tomicog is a great investment. Really lasts a long time.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I love riding fixed! I have just been so busy racing and training for cross that I haven't had time to ride the fixed gear mountain bike.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying it. I told someone I was I was going to try riding a fixed gear mountain bike and they looked at me like I was crazy. After a moment of uncomfortably awkward silence they said
    "Fixed, you mean like it was broke before?"

I just had to walk away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying it. I told someone I was I was going to try riding a fixed gear mountain bike and they looked at me like I was crazy. After a moment of uncomfortably awkward silence they said
    "Fixed, you mean like it was broke before?"

I just had to walk away.
    Yes broke and now I FIXED it

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I've ridden fixed off road on and off for the past couple years. Only reason I don't right now is because I don't want my only MTB to be fixed. If I could add another bike to the stable, I would love for it to be fixed.

Beer is my spirit animal
    I commute about 25 miles round-trip on mild to moderate singletrack with my TomICog enhanced MonoCog a few times a week, and it's just like Sheldon Brown said it would be; addictive. My next bike will be fixed, and while I still really enjoy riding my full suspension geared bike, I am constantly aware of that moment of hesitation before my pedal stroke engages the drivetrain. There's something really satisfying about being so connected to the bike's drivetrain. It's comical, too, 'cause I'm a skinny jeans wearing, PBR drinking kid in his late 20's, but my fixed gear is a rigid 9er that is not color coordinated and has a front brake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm thinking my next bike will have the S3X hub and 1.75 tires. Should be fun.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I'm still waiting for my Tomicog to show up. I wound up measuring my chainline and it should be almost perfect with the Tomicog. So, I'll essentially have a flip flop hub which will be pretty convenient.

I'm so pumped for when it does show up. It will be so much better than Christmas, especially considering my mother in-law's habit of buying socks....

mtbr member
    Velosolo.com also has bolt on cogs and they make a 15t cog witch I'm using now.
    Web site is cool also has a good info section with lots of how to's for converting to fixed or SS

mtbr member
    My fixed offroad machine has the cranks connected directly to the rear wheel. That's right, no chain. Alright, so there's no front wheel, and the frame looks more like a rigid fork. Yeah, it's a unicycle.

If an offoad fixie is crazy, that look I'm getting from people must be complete insanity. Seriously fun, and a great workout though.

Livin the Dream
    Yep, Still fixed. Have you ever seen how much it cost to have the reversal surgery?

Dinner for wolves
    I am still loving the FGMTB I put together at the start of the season. I actually prefer it for epic rides and technical trails. Places where speed is not needed. For the smooth and/or fast stuff the freewheel bikes get the nod. The reality has shattered my preconceived notions of what FGMTBing would be like.

TreeFarmer, you made a good choice.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    My commuter rig is fixed... 1980 Fuji royale road frame converted over to the dark side.... P.S. it's a 67 cm frame 'cause i'm tall
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    My commuter rig is fixed... 1980 Fuji royale road frame converted over to the dark side.... P.S. it's a 67 cm frame 'cause i'm tall
    I built my fixed commuter up from a 1973 Schwinn Le Tour frameset.... with the original golden paintjob. I'm cooler.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    little more challenging.

So, not being one to be patient, !
    Yeah, it makes your old trails fun again and again and again and again and again
    and again and again

But, be patient when learning it. Take it easy and then increase speed in small steps.
    Contrary to pop shitaqua, it is the hella **** for building strong knees. I couldn't run until my knees got stronger from fixt riding. I love it as a second bike. My cross bike is fixt and frikkin fun hell. It'll teach you how to be balanced when you aren't. It'll teach you how to relax at times you not thought possible. The connected feel is super fun and cool to mess with. Leave your backpack or camelback at home and go with bottles and whatnot. The added weight up high tries to thwart the fun fixt feeling with a lopsided feel...

Do it right and get ready for stronger knees !!
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

trail rat
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    I ran fixed on my snowbike for simplicity sake for 3 years but I'm going back to ss. Yeah I know, lame, I just couldn't get over the awkwardness of trying to ride over icy skinnies and rock gardens, and drops? Not happening without blowing out my knees on the landing. It is extremely fun on more mundane trails though, there is no better way to "be one with your bike". I might look into a tomicog for a quick conversion if I start to miss it again.

mtbr member
    I've gotten fairly bored running around my local loop so I started looking at options to make it a little more challenging.

I found one.

Is anyone still riding fixed? If you quit, why? If you stuck with it, then tell me why I should be excited!
    Treefarmer,

I hope you got your bike up and running as a fixie. Indeed you will be way less bored and a little more challenged. You might even crash-your-brains-out. Winter is on our doorstep and if you're gonna go fixed, the time is now. You will be more in tune with the bike. You will be in more control on slick terrain. You will get kicked in the balls. You might get really hurt. These are all things that make riding a FGMTB great. The chicks will swarm at you like a god. Do it. Let me know when you get the 'bunny-hop' figured out. It's one of the biggest challenges going from freewheel to fixie. Once you do figure it out it's super fun, you'll flow over logs and rocks and have a hellluva time doing it. Best of luck...I'm headed out to ride mine tonight...it's Wednesday, time for the P-ride

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for all the encouragement ! I did indeed get my Tomicog last weekend and got to take it out for a quick ride. Unfortuantely I only was able to ride for about 30 minutes due to fading daylight.

All I can say at the moment is that riding fixed off road has a STEEP learning curve. I found a crack in the seat tube of my frame and am waiting for the warranty replacement to show up, so I haven't had a chance to really get out and ride. New frame should be here Monday, but the time change, school, and holiday travel means no dirt time for a couple weeks

Initial thoughts:
    -messing with other people at the trail head by riding backwards is fun. Just don't fall over.

-closest thing I have to skinny jeans is roadie windproof tights.

- yes, it will make me stronger, smooth out my pedal stroke, and renew old boring trails, but my wife was not amused when I said I was going to be fixed. Her first thought was the surgery

one chain loop
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qwPQRENz8Ts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yea.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    fishcreek -
    watched the cyclo ball....hmm - they've got some shooting skillz
    But.....those bikes are a JOKE - 1x1 gear ratio and seat set-up and bars - WTF
    I've played some bike polo they ain't that reeTarded - plus you get to swing a mallet

Also, I ride Fixed gear off road. Been doing so for around 4 years.....not too many others giving it a go. It's Kinda like getting folks to give up BBQ and become vegan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got 3 mountain bikes: full suspension 2x10 29er, rigid 1x5 (5cogs on a hope singlespeed hub) 29er, and rigid fixed gear 29er. All three get ridden pretty equally. Kinda depends on my mood, where I'm riding, and who I'm riding with. It's nice to have options, but the fixed gear is my go-to for solo, non-racing rides. The 2x10 fully gets the nod for endurance racing and xc racing tho.

In 2007, after I graduated college, I finally had enough cash scraped together to get a WI Eno Eccentric hub built into a wheel for my old rigid Gary Fisher 26" mtb, allowing me to not only drop the chain tensioner I'd been running for singlespeed (I converted it to a rigid single speed during college due to lack of funds), but also try out fixed gear mtb. I ended up riding fixed offroad in New England for 2 years exclusively. All trails, all rides, etc. That time spent on the fixed mtb definitely sharpened my bike handling skills 100%. It was also a lot of fun.

Really I am that slow
    Still fixed 99% of the time
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

inner peace to make peace
    I use a fixie road bike (Bianchi Pista) for occasional commuting, but am curious about fixed dirt riding in the canyons.

Know anyone with serious knee injury riding fixed MTB?

As soon as my knee heals (sustained from judo randori) I'm temped to build a rear wheel on my SS to have one side fixed and the other side SS, both with the same sized cog
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    I would say road fixed is more harsh on the body then dirt, the dirt "can" be forgiving the pavement not so much.

mtbr member
    I haven't read all of the posts here on this thread yet. I love riding fixed gear, but have only ridden a fixed gear road bike. I just finished a build that is a fixed mtb with a drilled steel cog bolted to the disc mount and cannot wait to ride.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    Know anyone with serious knee injury riding fixed MTB?
    This might be helpful. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/fix...ee-240812.html
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Anyone riding fixed near the Philadelphia area (and by that I mean a 50 mi radius or so)? I have tried to convince more than one person to try it out, but get the same blank stare.

I take single track pretty damn slow and haven't really found a group to ride with, but don't really like going solo in case of injuries. Plus it'd be nice to find someone who understands the mentality of FG MTB.

Dinner for wolves
    Killsurfcity and I are riding tomorrow (Friday) during the day at Belmont. You are welcome to join. PM me your digits and I will text you the time and place.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Killsurfcity and I are riding tomorrow (Friday) during the day at Belmont. You are welcome to join. PM me your digits and I will text you the time and place.
    Actually I saw your posts in the fixed pics thread right after I wrote this. Cool that there are two of you! Does three make a gang??

I dunno about this Friday since I am wrapping up a semester at school and have a ton of work, but possibly...

Looks like I have a few more posts before I can PM. You can write me at RLudington AT gmail dotcom. I'd def want to ride soon if not Friday. Hope you don't mind a slow poke.

mtbr member
    Wait, is Belmont the spot that's between art museum and Lemon hill? I always wondered who else rode that little patch....

I found an even creepier trail that comes of Lemon HIll and parallels Kelly Drive, but it was filled with glass/tetnus/hobos.

edit- nevermind, finally found it through google. I didn't know there was something off of Monument Drive. That is so much closer for quick rides.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by bike for days View Post
    Wait, is Belmont the spot that's between art museum and Lemon hill? I always wondered who else rode that little patch....

I found an even creepier trail that comes of Lemon HIll and parallels Kelly Drive, but it was filled with glass/tetnus/hobos.

edit- nevermind, finally found it through google. I didn't know there was something off of Monument Drive. That is so much closer for quick rides.
    Sent you an email, BFD. Update your tetanus and we are good to go.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    The last post to this thread was 3 years ago.
    I just looked through the posts to get some info. I've been a SSer for the last 5 years. Last year I bought a Surly fixed disc hub and rode it a bit but gave it up. I've decided to give it a shot again. So here is my "letter of intent" to be either riding a fixie KM or my SS KM. Can't stand the gears even though I'm slower than everyone else.

If anyone is inclined to point to some relevant threads about FG Mtb I'd be much obliged. For one I don't know how to get my feet into straps without the luxury of freewheel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eselsweg View Post
    The last post to this thread was 3 years ago.
    I just looked through the posts to get some info. I've been a SSer for the last 5 years. Last year I bought a Surly fixed disc hub and rode it a bit but gave it up. I've decided to give it a shot again. So here is my "letter of intent" to be either riding a fixie KM or my SS KM. Can't stand the gears even though I'm slower than everyone else.

If anyone is inclined to point to some relevant threads about FG Mtb I'd be much obliged. For one I don't know how to get my feet into straps without the luxury of freewheel
    Have you tried clipless? I tried straps on my fixed road beater and didn't like it. I'm sure enough practice and I'd have it down but I find clipless pedals much easier.

mtbr member
    I've always ridden clipless. Just was wondering if there is a sense to straps when back pedaling like pull out of the cleat by accident.

Not to sound like a style freak, but I was wondering also if straps are the proper crank attire on a MTB with FG. One advantage is the respective shoe choice. I anticipate hopping off the bike more without a freewheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone is inclined to point to some relevant threads about FG Mtb I'd be much obliged.
    Here is a whole website: 63xc.com--The Offroad Fixed Gear Site

I've always ridden clipless. Just was wondering if there is a sense to straps when back pedaling like pull out of the cleat by accident.

Not to sound like a style freak, but I was wondering also if straps are the proper crank attire on a MTB with FG. One advantage is the respective shoe choice. I anticipate hopping off the bike more without a freewheel.

Dave Nice (slowerthensnot) rode fixed on the TD race. Plastic flat pedals and Keen shoes. So basically, use whatever you like.

mtbr member
    I know you rode flats! Saw a video in Vimeo. I was never sure if you were the exception to the rule. Thanks for the advice. I have flats, straps, and clipless. Guess I'll just try 'em all.

mtbr member

I guess whatever is functional with peoples preferences works best. I remember there being a post your fixed gear MTB thread. I don't remember seeing any type of pedal retention preferred over the other as much. People just ride what they like. You should probably search for it if you haven't already. Some cool looking bikes in there.

Dinner for wolves
    Still loving my fixed KM and my fixed Pugsley. I have a custom SS that now competes for my saddle time, but my FG bikes are still the titz.
    Responds to gravity

local trails rider
    I have flats, straps, and clipless. Guess I'll just try 'em all.
    There's also Power Grips which should be easier to get out of than traditional straps.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    There's also Power Grips which should be easier to get out of than traditional straps.
    I have those on my ss. They feel great once your feet are secured. But they're difficult to get into the over time because they don't retain their shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Still loving my fixed KM and my fixed Pugsley. I have a custom SS that now competes for my saddle time, but my FG bikes are still the titz.
    Glad to read that Buddak is still fixed on FG. A lot of his posts got me curious to finally give it a go. I'm originally from the greater Philadelphia area and I think it's cool to know that there is a fixed minded guy from there. I'm in Germany now and NOBODY ride fixed MTB as far as I know.