Anyone riding Nevegal 29er 2.2's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone riding Nevegal 29er 2.2's

Got a great deal on a set of these, but they are 2.2's. Will they be plush enough?? I currently have a set of Mountain Kings 2.35's, and they are plush but bulky. Any good opinions??
    Last edited by vindiggitydog; 07-02-2012 at 03:56 PM.

conjoinicorned
    No one is riding one, since they aren't made...same with the mtn king 2.3 that isn't made either

But if you mean the 2.2, i have plenty of time on mine. I wouldn't call it a plush tire, but I don't find my 2.4 mtn king super plush either although I love that tire. I'd compare the two almost directly in Cush factor but the nev is waaaaaay slower rolling
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nevegals are SLOOOOW...but they sure do hook up.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Nevegals are SLOOOOW...but they sure do hook up.
    +1, there are better tires out there than never-go's
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog View Post
    Got a great deal on a set of these, but they are 2.1's....
    Those sound like the cheap 30tpi OEM Nevegals that come on new bikes, my buddy's Outcast came with them. Not the same as the 2.2" 60tpi Nevegals, they really suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Those sound like the cheap 30tpi OEM Nevegals that come on new bikes, my buddy's Outcast came with them. Not the same as the 2.2" 60tpi Nevegals, they really suck.
    Which one's suck? I think that the 2.2 Nevegals are good tires, they are just slow. I've never tried one on the front with a fast rolling tire on the back. I plan to soon though. I have two new Nevegals in the shed that I bought not knowing they were so slow when used front and back. I took them both off and used my Specialized Fast Traks instead. I need new tires and plan to get a fast rear and try the Nevegal again on the front. If it still doesn't work I'll try to sell them I guess.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    great in front, piggish out back for all but the nastiest of the nasty.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Which one's suck?....
    The cheap OEM version sucks, it is intended to scam noobies into thinking they are getting good tires. I didn't even know there was such a tire until my buddy bought a BD outcast 29er SS. Now I see them all the time on ebay for cheap, there's a reason.

I do like the 29er 2.2 60tpi Nevegals, I have a set on my bike right now, haven't had anything else for the last 4 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Nevs wear down pretty quick. You'll get no more than one season out of them if you ride a few times a week and the second half of the season you'll notice the performance degradation. They are cool tires though and if you are flying around loose corners they will keep you upright and on trail.

If you want something with moderate grab but a little longer lasting, I've been using the Bontrager 29-3 TLR on the front and it's been pretty good for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    No one is riding one, since they aren't made...same with the mtn king 2.3 that isn't made either

But if you mean the 2.2, i have plenty of time on mine. I wouldn't call it a plush tire, but I don't find my 2.4 mtn king super plush either although I love that tire. I'd compare the two almost directly in Cush factor but the nev is waaaaaay slower rolling
    ok you got me there!! I thought they were 2.1's, and the Kings are actually 2.35 Thanks for the info. BTW, why are the nevs so slow?? Is it the tread pattern??

mtbr member
    The Nev 29er 2.2's are on sale at Performance Bike for 39.99 right now!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    In the snow/slush I run a Nev in the front and a Slant 6 in the rear. Otherwise S6 both ends
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vindiggitydog View Post
    BTW, why are the nevs so slow?? Is it the tread pattern??
    heavy/do not roll well bc of the tread.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I hated them on the front, they work ok for me out back but slow. In the front they would provide good traction until you lean to far then they would just give out all at once. Left me on the ground a couple of times so I switched them out for a slant six and like the slant six much better. Alot more preditiable slide when you start to lean heavily in corners. Atleast that's how they worked for me. Haven't tried the mountain kings so can't compare.

29er
    Apr 2010
    like others said, too slow

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Really depends on the terrain your on and what your looking for. In my area nevegals are the goto trail tire that works in about all our local conditions. I've run the 2.35 ust version on my nomad as well as 2.1 ust and non ust. The more expensive ones last a long time and most people I know get at least a season on them
    I ran the 2.2's on my 29er last year. They hooked up awesome but agree they definitely dont roll as fast as the xc tires (maxxis ignitors, maxxis crossmarks). However I would say the nevegals is a better 'trail' tire in terms of all around hookup and reliability. After I get a couple races out of the way I just may put them back on my 29er for some fun trail rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nevegals only feel slow to me when I'm riding them on terrain they were not intended for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I absolutely LOVE Kenda tires. That being said, get a set of WTB Bronson tires. About the same in the traction department, light years ahead in the rolling speed department.

mtbr member
    Nevegal front, Small Block 8 rear. Great combo for most conditions.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    I rocked that combo, but out here in Colorado, where the climbs are some times a bit loose, the SB8 just didn't bite enough for out of the saddle climbs. Great tire, just doesn't work well on my trails for a single speed.

mtbr member
    Only place I'd run one of those Nevs is upfront, other than that just too damn slow rolling, much better offerings out there that provide almost if not identical grip that roll way better. I've recently thrown my 4 year old one on the front of my Prime and by far it is the nosiest tyre I own, much prefer the 2.35" Rampage, but I paid good $$ for it, so I'm gona use it out finally then it'll be replaced with a better tyre.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Love Nevegals on the terrain I ride. Love em because they stay glued and I don't find they roll as slow as people say they do.
    RM Trailhead
    Access XCL 9r

mtbr member
    I also have this combo on my rigid SS 29er and I ride hard pack, roots, and enough sand to give it a mention. We don't have much in the way of sustained climbs here so I haven't had a problem with rear traction. The nevegal is a bit slow out front, but I'm not speedster myself. Next time I'll try a Slant 8 up front and keep the SB8 rear.

That Nevegal does stick itself to the trail, no doubt.

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I run the nev up front, great grip, had one on back and while it provided great traction it was heavy and slow. I switched to an ignitor and wow, way faster rolling but I can actually overpower it and cause some wheel spin now and again. With the nev back there it never broke loose. Tires can be locale specific products, here (NE) lots of people use nevs because the work well when wet
    Drink beer all day

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I absolutely LOVE Kenda tires. That being said, get a set of WTB Bronson tires. About the same in the traction department, light years ahead in the rolling speed department.
    I just got a Bronson 2.2 to replace a Nevegal 2.2, and it's worth mentioning that the Bronson is (at least when new) noticeably narrower than the Nevegal was. It measures out to pretty much exactly 2.2, where my remaining Nevegal was closer to 2.35.

mtbr member
    Love this combo, works great for my SS just about everywhere. Going to grab myself a new set sometime this season. I run the 2.35's all the way around, too.

mtbr member
    I love the small block 8's, they are very fast but seem to slip when climbing. I just sold a set of nevegals 2.2's on ebay. I agree they roll way to slow for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0