Anyone ride a SS in Downieville?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Anyone ride a SS in Downieville?

I'm heading there this weekend and I'm bring my SS, but I'm debating on whether I should rent a full squish. We are shuttling everything. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a friend that rode his single speed with rigid fork at Downieville. He had 6 flats before he got to the bottom... But anyway, riding a single speed there with front suspension is a totally reasonable thing to do, doing it with a rigid fork is not. There are rocks and roots, but nothing too gnarly. I recommend saving the money and riding your single speed (assuming you have front suspension).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've ridden a HT and FS there.

HT will be fun and you can cruise down the hill. A majority isn't that rough and there are only a few hills so the SS won't be an issue, might be even more fun, especially with the additional ground clearance.

FS is more fun and can be ridden much faster. The top 3rd or more has some sections that has some 8-24" drops (most "can" be avoided) and some really rocky sections.

Rode it last spring and my 2 friends who rode HTs were much slower and got beat up quite a bit more, but to me it's fun either way. Of coarse the 2 other friends who thought they needed their DH rigs were hating life the majority of the trail as that much travel is not needed.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Guess I don't understand why riding a SS has any big relevance if you're shuttling. But FS vs HT is really hard to say, because it's really personal preference and tolerance level. I know guys that bomb down gnarly lines on their rigid bikes that guys with suspension forks have a hard time keeping up with (myself included).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm on a HT. I ride some fairly aggressive trails without issue, but I rarely ride over 15 miles in one ride. It sounds like the HT will be fine for the terrain up there.

mtbr member

Anyone ride a SS in Downieville?

Especially since you're shuttling you'll be good to go.

I attempted the climbs up on my 32x19 SS last summer, which was pretty rough and resulted in a lot of bhiking. But the downhill was a blast.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I took NINER ONE 9 ( 32 x 20, FOX 120 ) on its maiden voyage last summer. 5 runs in 3 days. First three awesome. Last 2 kind of beat me up ( I am in mid 40's ). If you are younger 4 will be fun! 2nd divide is all doable except a 2 foot rock face. Butcher is not bad, especially now that it is a little sanitized. I run tubeless. Some guys I was with this weekend had 9 flats in one run (5 of those guys, 9 flats). I would ditch tubes.