Anyone ride at Rocky Gap Maryland State Park- Mtbr.com
    One gear to rule them all

Anyone ride at Rocky Gap Maryland State Park

My wife just signed up for EMS Off-Road Triathlon - A Nissan Xterra Points Series Race. She wants to do the mnt bike section on her SS. I am trying to get some ideas on gearing and conditions. Thanks
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Professional Slacker

SS'ing at Rocky Gap

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    My wife just signed up for EMS Off-Road Triathlon - A Nissan Xterra Points Series Race. She wants to do the mnt bike section on her SS. I am trying to get some ideas on gearing and conditions. Thanks
    I rode there a few times this summer on my SS. I was riding 32 * 18 and struggled with some of the hills, but I was also in really bad shape and new to singlespeeding. For the most part, its relatively rolling with a few short steep climbs. There is one or two longer climbs that may be part of the course though. I'm not sure what the course will entail. I think a loop on the lake trails is less than 8 miles but I've mostly only ridden the singletrack around the lake..which is basically fishermen foot paths. I'm sure somebody in good riding shape would be able to blow through most of the trails on 32*18 if not 32*16, with the exception of the longer climbs that go up over the mountain. If you can, why not just head out this way and check it out? Then you guys can see exactly what she's in for. Hope this helps. Good Luck !
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

Fight the Kakistocracy!

She must be becoming a stud

Rene is going to race, man she must be riding more than she used to. You will definitely have to give her my best and let me know how it goes.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by chili
    I rode there a few times this summer on my SS. I was riding 32 * 18 and struggled with some of the hills, but I was also in really bad shape and new to singlespeeding. For the most part, its relatively rolling with a few short steep climbs. There is one or two longer climbs that may be part of the course though. I'm not sure what the course will entail. I think a loop on the lake trails is less than 8 miles. I've mostly only ridden the singletrack around the lake..which is basically fishermen foot paths. I'm sure somebody in good riding shape would be able to blow through most of the trails on 32*18 if not 32*16. Hope this helps. Good Luck !
    The park web site says the trail is 4.5 miles. The race schedules has the bike portion at 11 miles. I am not sure if they will just make two laps plus some out and back? My wifes current gearing is 32x18, maybe I should leave it alone for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by veelz
    Rene is going to race, man she must be riding more than she used to. You will definitely have to give her my best and let me know how it goes.
    She works out 4-5 times a week. Renee did a tri on Thankgiving day this past year. She did really well. She also did the civil war century last summer. So, now she wants to try an off road event. I think she will place well. It's not until this summer so she has plenty of time to train.
    "Stud" is not the word I would use maybe, tri-babe

Only one person has ridden here? Come on guys

Professional Slacker
    Only one person has ridden here? Come on guys
    Well, to be honest, for me its not all that great of a place to ride. I have to drive 30 min on the Interstate to get there . First of all, I hate driving. Second, I hate having to drive to ride my bike. If I'm going to drive to ride, there are other places much closer I'd rather go.The only thing that sometimes attracts me is that it is some of the only singletrack around and there are weekly group rides so I'm guaranteed to have somebody to ride with. I would say in the 10 years I've been riding, I've maybe ridden there 10 times.

4.5 miles does sound more accurate. I was over exaggerating for the benefit of doubt that I don't know all the trails perhaps. I know that we do one loop..then ride the same loop backwards...and in total, it probably is less than 10 miles. There is a guy that just started posting here (well, not here, but on mtbr) under WesternMD I think. He rides there a lot but never on a singlespeed. He may or may not be able to give you the answers you're looking for.

When is the race ? Why not just come check it out ? How far are you frome Rocky Gap ?
    Last edited by chili; 02-11-2005 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chili
    Well, to be honest, for me its not all that great of a place to ride. I have to drive 30 min on the Interstate to get there . First of all, I hate driving. Second, I hate having to drive to ride my bike. If I'm going to drive to ride, there are other places much closer I'd rather go.The only thing that sometimes attracts me is that it is some of the only singletrack around and there are weekly group rides so I'm guaranteed to have somebody to ride with. I would say in the 10 years I've been riding, I've maybe ridden there 10 times.

4.5 miles does sound more accurate. I was over exaggerating for the benefit of doubt that I don't know all the trails perhaps. I know that we do one loop..then ride the same loop backwards...and in total, it probably is less than 10 miles. There is a guy that just started posting here under WesternMD I think. He rides there a lotal but never on a singlespeed. He may or may not be able to give you the answers you're looking for.
    Thanks for all the info, chili. My wife would not be riding there either if it were not for this race. We may make a trip out there to check it out. Mapquest says it's a hour and a half drive for us.
    In your opinion, would it be smart to ride SS for a Triatholon there, or would it be much faster with gears. I have found that the only rides that I am faster with gears, are the flat rides. Not that I own a mnt bike with those gear thingeys, anymore.
    Wha'ya tink?
    Last edited by 32seventeen; 02-10-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Professional Slacker
    In your opinion, would it be smart to ride SS for a Triatholon there, or would it be much faster with gears. I have found that the only rides that I am faster with gears, are the flat rides. Not that I own a mnt bike with those gear thingeys, anymore.
    Wha'ya tink?

Hmmm...I can't really say. Sorry. I will agree with you though. I seem to ride and climb faster on my ss than I do with gears, except on the flats as you mentioned, or when I have to get off an push. When I climb with gears, I climb in a much easier ratio than what my ss is set with. However, pushing can sometimes be quicker than spinning along in the granny gear. If your wife is in good shape and used to riding a ss, I think she will be fine. If the big climbs I mentioned are in the race, they will be the only real challenge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

more-mtb.org

Try more-mtb.org for info on this trail. Many single speeders. Also, Jim Harman the race director is a friend of mine. Runs great races. Good luck.