mtbr member
    Just do it. I`ve ridden close to a 1000km on a RSS (road-single-speed) and it was an eyeopening experience even though my bike wasn`t fixed.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004

Anyone ride gears on the road?

Hi,

I've been riding singlespeed offroad for a few years now, almost exlcusively. I'd like to get a road bike of sorts, but never reall having one that fit, or for an extended period of time, I'm not sure what to look for.

Something like an Il Pompino or the new Bianchi is very appealing -- light, simple. But, I have heard locals who ride singlespeed offroad comment that they wouldn't want to ride singlespeed on the road, unless it was fixed.

Not really sure what I am hoping to accomplish by posting this, but I'd like to hear some other opinions experience.

Thanks,

Colin
    death is a star.

Sweep the leg!
    Depnding on the terrain in your area a single speed road bike should work if you gear it correctly for your needs. Otherwise, there's no shame in having a good quality multi gear road or cyclocross bike as an option to singling it.

Bianchi, Redline, Lemond, and others I can't think of all make nice cross bikes you could be happy with.

Just Give'r!
    i'm guilty of running gears on the road- an 06 trek madone 5.2 sl is my ride. I like the options for hammering out sprints, taking super tough climbs and spinnin the lactic acid out of my legs. that being said, i've ridden a mtb single speed w/slicks on a 100km ride and it was a lot of fun. Don't plan on any competitive group rides or anything with a road s/s obviously, but there is room for one, definitely. just another excuse to own multiple bikes.

Retro Grouch

As I said before...

Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    Just do it. I`ve ridden close to a 1000km on a RSS (road-single-speed) and it was an eyeopening experience even though my bike wasn`t fixed.
    Using gears is like re-discovering your ex-wife.

I have ridden my fixie on almost every road in Santa Cruz. Yes, sometimes I have to stop to catch my breath and sometimes I traverse, but it's a hoot. There a few times if I expect a long steep downhill, like the 15 miles from the Santa Cruz Summit down Soquel-San Jose Road to Soquel Village, that I might choose my RSS freewheel bike (someday I'll have to invest in a flip-flop hub). But hey, that's just me and I'm been told I'm sometimes too stubborn for my own good. Anyway, GTG, first RR with my new neighbor, RSSF verses geary (but he does have an old Bonty SS with horizontal drops and the original fork that I may have to kill him for). SEE YA!!! (Whoo! gotta take it easy on the Day Quil)

1G1G, Brad

Nat
    mtbr member
    I've never tried fixed so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I like my geared roadie.

What day are we riding?
    I love my fixie road bike for around town. Have ridden it up to 60 miles at a stretch. I do switch it to a freewheel for snow and ice.

Longer than 60 or so, I prefer to have gears so that my lazy butt can take a break.

"Mr. Britannica"
    fixed or geared on the road... ss road = kinda boring

just have fun!
    I ride gears on the road. I like to keep my cadence steady when I'm on pavement.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    fixed or geared on the road... ss road = kinda boring
    Why is that? I am curious because I think my fiance would kill me if I built another bike only to be disatisfied.
    death is a star.

mtbr member

SS road boring? Not!

I have two SSs and a geared road bike. one of the SS is for the dirt, the other for commuting, and training road rides. sometimes i ride the commuter fixed, sometimes SS. so what's wrong with riding SS on the road? boring? you could call it that, but i agree with sheldon brown who says that one of the virtues of riding SS is that by not thinking about shifting you can let your mind wander, focus on the scenery, or turning perfect circles. that, and it's about the perfect chainline. SS road riding is therapeutic for me. boring? alot of things in life are boring, but riding is never one of them.

The Top Cap Guy
    I used to have a road bike - and I only road my fixie road bike anyway. So I sold the geared roadie. Now that I've moved in to the county (vs. in town) I'm kind of finding myself needing a geary again (let alone my Cyclops trianer isn't quite the workout it was before with gears). The thing that sold me was the 7 mile down hill I need to get down and back up from my house to get to the local bike path. I've been suffering all this year on the fixie trying to convince myself if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger. I think the geary though might win atleast for a trainer bike.

FF
    Last edited by Fast Freddy; 12-04-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Retro Grouch

At some point what doesn't kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    I used to have a road bike - and I only road my fixie road bike anyway. So I sodl the geared roadie. Now that I've moved in to the county (vs. in town) I'm kind of finding myself needing a geary again (let alone my Cyclops trianer isn't quite the workout it was before with gears. The thing that sold me was the 7 mile down hill I need to get down and back up from my house to get to the local bike path. I've been suffering all this yearonthe fixie trying to convince myself if it doesn't kill me it will make me stronger. I think the geary though might win atleast for a trainer bike.

FF
    makes you sick and weak ...my guess is your over 30; welcome to the club..

1G1G, Brad

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    makes you sick and weak ...my guess is your over 30; welcome to the club..

1G1G, Brad
    Yep - ripe old age of 34......lol

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    The only solution I see is to get one of each... one geared and one fixed/free SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

No gears here

I ride my Sycip Crossdresser on the road SS with a ratio of 44X17 ... Its quite comforting to know I can just tune out and keep a steady pace on rolling terrain ... I am working my way to ride it fixed, but I would reckon you give it a shot ... its nice and cruisey ...

I also have a On One Pompino, which I use as my all round grocery getter and work commuter ... it works great !! But i love the looks the hard core roadies give me when I pass them on the climbs with my sycip .. they then have to crank big gears to catch me at the top .. then i let them go and wait till the next climb ...

when I ride with a group, I usually have no problems keeping up at a steady speed of around 35-38 Km/H ... anything faster than that, gets a little too testosterone-charged for me and I'd rather stay back and watch them kill themselves ... gears just sound all too much to handle ... then I would have no excuse to sit back and cruise ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    only have one road bike...but it has gears...unlike my mtn bike...but my road bike has got style! chromed lugs and 8-sp campy makes me happy when riding!

mtbr member

I have both...

I have a geared roadie that I use for group training-rides with the local road-racers. A fixie just couldn't keep up on 50+ mile rides with lots of climbs and 40+ mph descents. There's one guy that's shown up a few times to the Sat. morning ride on a single speed and done quite well, but there's no way you'd keep up on the downhills on a fixie geared to make the climbs.

For riding around town and commuting back and forth to work I ride a fixed-gear. I've done longer solo rides on the fixed gear, as well as a century with a few other fixie riders (Riders from this board as a matter of fact. Speaking of which, you guys doing the Palm Springs Century again this year? Hollywood, Hugh, Calvin, Donkey, Aosty, whoever else I'm forgetting?).

I wouldn't want a fixed gear to be my *only* road-bike though. I don't think you can moderate your efforts well enough to train effectively riding exclusively singlespeed/fixed. OTOH, I know there are some reallyeffinfast guys out there who ride almost exclusively on one-gear...

-Trevor

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    I have a geared roadie that I use for group training-rides with the local road-racers. A fixie just couldn't keep up on 50+ mile rides with lots of climbs and 40+ mph descents. There's one guy that's shown up a few times to the Sat. morning ride on a single speed and done quite well, but there's no way you'd keep up on the downhills on a fixie geared to make the climbs.

For riding around town and commuting back and forth to work I ride a fixed-gear. I've done longer solo rides on the fixed gear, as well as a century with a few other fixie riders (Riders from this board as a matter of fact. Speaking of which, you guys doing the Palm Springs Century again this year? Hollywood, Hugh, Calvin, Donkey, Aosty, whoever else I'm forgetting?).

I wouldn't want a fixed gear to be my *only* road-bike though. I don't think you can moderate your efforts well enough to train effectively riding exclusively singlespeed/fixed. OTOH, I know there are some reallyeffinfast guys out there who ride almost exclusively on one-gear...

-Trevor
    I'll definitely be there......you?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    May 2004

Forget gears

Ride a belt drive bike.
    Bankrupt the terrorists: commute by bike.

One gear to rule them all

Geared or Single...both

I've got to agree with Cygus here. Road SS is not that much fun.
    I only have a SS mnt bike. On the road, use my geared bike most of the time. I also have a fixie, that has a flip flop hub, I almost always have it on the fixed side.
    If you are riding with a group of geared riders, it can be difficult to ride SS or fixed with them. I usually ride the fixed when I'm riding alone.
    I own a cross check, and when I first built it, I built it as a SS, but I found that switching between road and off road during a ride with only one gear is not that much fun. I was always over geared on the off road portions and under geared on the road portions. So, I put gears on that one too. Now I have an even number of geared and SS bikes.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    I have two SSs and a geared road bike. one of the SS is for the dirt, the other for commuting, and training road rides. sometimes i ride the commuter fixed, sometimes SS. so what's wrong with riding SS on the road? boring? you could call it that, but i agree with sheldon brown who says that one of the virtues of riding SS is that by not thinking about shifting you can let your mind wander, focus on the scenery, or turning perfect circles. that, and it's about the perfect chainline. SS road riding is therapeutic for me. boring? alot of things in life are boring, but riding is never one of them.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

pedalphile
    SS off road = fun
    Fixie on road = fun
    Geared on road = fun
    Geared off road = fun
    Fixie off road = don't know, can't comment
    SS on road = fun unless it's a mountainbike geared 34x20 in which case it's the worst thing ever

Now if only someone would invent a geared fixie. That would complete the Voltron.

Edit: Oh yeah, that's what a flip-flop is... duh
    Last edited by BontyRider; 12-05-2005 at 09:11 AM. Reason: not enough coffee
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Hills and drastic elevation changes are not a major concern considering I live in south Florida. I do enjoy going rather fast on the road, but I imagine I would start to feel the same way I feel about gears offroad. But, what do I know, never having actually had a 'real' roadbike.

Right now I think I may go Steamroller/similar with a reasonable, dependable build.
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    3 offroad SS and 1 geared touring bike for getting to work on quickly when I'm late.

mtbr member

Dunno yet...

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I'll definitely be there......you?

B

Not sure yet. I get back from vacation on the 9th. Depends on how jet-lagged I am...

-Trevor

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    Hills and drastic elevation changes are not a major concern considering I live in south Florida.
    sounds like a recipe to try out a fixie with a nice tall gear. If you want to test the waters first, look for a second hand steel road bike w/horizontal drops that fits you and have a rear fixie wheel built up. That was my first move, all for about $100.

I've since added to the stable with a Surly Cross Check with a flip flop rear hub. FWIW, I think I've flipped it to the freewheel side maybe once. Nice new ENO freewheel just sittin' there, neglected. (I also run only a front brake, so it makes freewheeling a little sketchy).

the 'boring' part comes when you spin out the gear, have to coast until you slow down a bit, then start spinning like mad again. That gets old, IMO. Especially if its mostly flat there.

Now if I could only find my geared road bike....I know I left it around here somewhere.

HW

Members who have read this thread: 0