drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

Anyone regret selling off their geared bikes?

I've been riding singlespeeds for about two years now, and exclusively since June. I have a fully pimped Blur with less than 100 miles on it collecting dust in the garage. It seems like a waste to keep around, and I am a minimilist so it nags me to have something I haven't been using.

I've seen a lot of posts by people who have sold their geared bikes and are happy with their decision. Anyone regret it?

I live in Sacramento and have never been to NorthStar (get bummed with crowded trails). I know that the Blur is only a lightweight trail bike, but would I seriously be missing a full-suspension bike then?

I have also been thinking about some 12/24 hour events. I have a Ventana El Toro, which I love, that is a stiff bike to be on for that long.

USB Rep'n

ditch the gears!

see how they're getting you all messed up in the head? You can run shuttles on SS and there are many here (myself included) that have done endurance races on SS. Get rid of those pesky gears, they're bringin ya down brother!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Stop the madness.
    SS is incredibly fun. Riding bikes is fun. There is no glory, to me, in ONLY riding SS.
    I sold my geared hardtail because I didn't know how to ride it anymore. I couldn't figure out how to stay seated and climb, so I sold it. I love my Bullit cause I can sit and climb almost anything cause the travel soaks it up.
    On days when I cooked my legs the day before SSing forever or running or what not, gears, to me, are a great way to get out and ride, but not waste myself further, but recover a little. Some on this board... *cough *cough... Donkey...Hugh.... *cough....can go forever and SS into oblivion..I find myself... much more.. human...
    Also, as many say, when riding w/ slower riders, it's easier for me to go slower, on gears. I ride w/ my 62 year old dad every week.. on the SS...I'm just too fast.. which rarely happens...better to poke along on the gears for that one...

All that said, I'm in the market for a geared, full-suspension, 29er. I expect it to be my go to #2 bike. It's also pull double duty on the road.

I love my SS but I'm not willing to marry it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drm
    I've seen a lot of posts by people who have sold their geared bikes and are happy with their decision. Anyone regret it?
    Keep it. It is doubtful that you will get even close to what you have invested in it and some day you might change your mind and regret it. I know I have made this mistake a few times and have come to regret it. Besides, what's worse? Losing money on the sale of a used, pimped FS or having something that you don't use at this particular moment in time? It's hard to predict the future when you are in life's ebbs and flow.

JMHO.

dd..''

34N 118W

flip flopper

I sold my C'dale Jekyll in order to throw more ca$h at my custom Curtlo SS. So that's the only mtn bike I've had since January. No regrets.

However, I'm now massaging myself when I see nice geared 29'ers. So that may pull me back one day...Titus Racer-X, Silk Ti, Jones, etc. I do plan on making it a 1x9 tho to minimize shifter-induced anxiety attacks. My thoughts are to have a bike I can do nice long casual cruises on, especially group fun rides and not be the only one standing and grunting.

But for now it's one gear, into the sunset...

HW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I sold my C'dale Jekyll in order to throw more ca$h at my custom Curtlo SS. So that's the only mtn bike I've had since January. No regrets.
    Can we see pictures again? That IS a beautiful bike that surely warrants no regrets.

dd..''

Has a 19 inch Unit

No Regrets

Sold the last of my geared bikes 2 years ago and have not looked back - no need for gears or full suspension - what where people riding before the ass shock was developed anyways?

once again no regrets - SS baby

-JG
    "Man who eat many prune, sit on toilet for many moon"

-The Man

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I'm facing the same dilema. I own a squishy gearie (Giant VT) and selling it has crossed my mind several times but always find an excuse not to sell.

Padre's advise is great. When you want to ride and your legs are toasted what's better a gearie or a ss? 2 weekends ago I did my first 24hr and last weekend couldn't pedal at all (2 tired), Yesterday took out the gearie and was able to do a couple of laps on my favorite trail near where I work with little effort and felt a lot better, tomorrow is back on the SS to see how it goes.

mtbr member

ever since ENO

Ever since I got hooked with the ENO, I have nothing that shifts. I Ebayed everything that shifted.

The only shiftable bike I was not allowed to touch was Sarah's Trek Fuel. Other than that, all other parts in my parts box are extra bars, chains, Shitmano freewheels, tires, cranks, and misc. But nothing that shifts. And no, I don't regret it. It's how I chose to ride.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 10-27-2004 at 12:08 PM. Reason: idiocy

Category Winner

sold em all

no regrets
    I have done a 12 hour race and the Assault on Mt Mitchell on my SS. I am going to La Ruta in two weeks. I am planning on doing The Burn 24 hour race next year.(I have done a few 24 hour races on a geared FS and a geared HT)
    I got sick of staring at my Ellsworth ID on the wall collecting dust. I only had it 3 months, but it fell victim to the SS. It was my 8th FS (AMP B-3, Amp B-4, Bullit, Mtn Cycle, Superlight, Truth, Craftworks, ID) since 95, maybe my last. Hold onto an FS bike too long and it will lose any value quickly.
    That said, I don't think it is the right choice for everyone. I just know where my heart lies. After doing The Assault I realized it was the only way I would ever want to ride. Two weeks ago we went to Snowshoe, WV and did lift/shuttle runs all weekend. Sure the FS bike would have been fun, but so was my single speed.
    I do have two sets of wheels. One is light and sexxy and the other set is a pig with 2.6's. I also have platform SPD's, extra seat/post, and other parts I swap depending on what I am doing.
    Do it, don't do it. Money ebbs and flows. The only choice I make when I head out the door is "Do I ride my bike, or do I ride my bike?"

Probably drunk right now

Padre Preaches the Truth....

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Stop the madness.
    SS is incredibly fun. Riding bikes is fun. There is no glory, to me, in ONLY riding SS.
    I sold my geared hardtail because I didn't know how to ride it anymore. I couldn't figure out how to stay seated and climb, so I sold it. I love my Bullit cause I can sit and climb almost anything cause the travel soaks it up.
    On days when I cooked my legs the day before SSing forever or running or what not, gears, to me, are a great way to get out and ride, but not waste myself further, but recover a little. Some on this board... *cough *cough... Donkey...Hugh.... *cough....can go forever and SS into oblivion..I find myself... much more.. human...
    Also, as many say, when riding w/ slower riders, it's easier for me to go slower, on gears. I ride w/ my 62 year old dad every week.. on the SS...I'm just too fast.. which rarely happens...better to poke along on the gears for that one...

All that said, I'm in the market for a geared, full-suspension, 29er. I expect it to be my go to #2 bike. It's also pull double duty on the road.

I love my SS but I'm not willing to marry it.
    Don't sell it. I too have a $3,000+ geared bike sitting neglected 90-95% of the time. Oh, but that 5%. An extended trip to Colorado is so much more enjoyable for this fat, flatlander when I have gears.

Don't think of it as a dust collector. Think of it as a sniper's rifle. It's may not be your everyday machine gun, but when you need it for a specific job, you'll have it in your arsenal.

Or if that's too militant for you: Think of it like a $100 bottle of wine. You can't afford the bottle as a daily drinker, but it's really worth it when you uncork it for a special occasion... like getting up the nerve to kill someone with your sniper's rifle.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nope. The only geared bike left is our tandem MTB. All others are SS or fixed (or both). 'Nuff said.
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.

an eagle in your mind
    Aug 2004
    sold mine sunday

no more taking up space in my room

no more cleaning the derailleurs

no more adjusting the derailleurs

no more chaindrops

no more squeak squeak click click buzz buzz

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    nope. My geared bike pretty much felt lame and stupid after I got the singlespeed so why hold on to a lame and stupid bike

mtbr member

I feel bad...

for waiting to build my first singlespeed up acutally. I bought a new full suspension bike then a week later decided to try the singlespeed thing. Well, with in a short time frame I ended up selling off the fully since it was brand new and collecting dust. The money I lost on that bike would have bought a nice Surly 1x1!
    I've been singlespeeding 2 years this Nov. I really don't like gears offroad anymore. Still ride gears on road, but use a small cassette and a double chainring setup to help simulate the singlespeed on longer climbs.

You sound fully converted to the singlespeed world so why not Sell the Blur and put the money in the bank for a nice bike trip or something.

MC

I've been riding singlespeeds for about two years now, and exclusively since June. I have a fully pimped Blur with less than 100 miles on it collecting dust in the garage. It seems like a waste to keep around, and I am a minimilist so it nags me to have something I haven't been using.

I live in Sacramento and have never been to NorthStar (get bummed with crowded trails). I know that the Blur is only a lightweight trail bike, but would I seriously be missing a full-suspension bike then?

I have also been thinking about some 12/24 hour events. I have a Ventana El Toro, which I love, that is a stiff bike to be on for that long.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Don't think of it as a dust collector. Think of it as a sniper's rifle. It's may not be your everyday machine gun, but when you need it for a specific job, you'll have it in your arsenal.
    Well said. I like it militant.

----woof----

I'm facing the same dilema

I haven't ridden my Blur in months now. Ever since I got my C-dale at almost 1/4 the price as the Blur, its all I ride. Sometimes I miss the comfort of a suspended bike, but I definitely get more of a rush on my SS.

I toyed with the idea of selling my Blur, but only to replace it with a 29" bling-bling SS, kinda sick isn't it.

Recovering couch patato
    I could never part with bikes I paid hard money for once. The last four bike I bought, were SS's, and all are ride-ready. I have more geared once, but they all have very mayor problems. I'm keeping at least one for communting/groceries, and I really need one for racing. My race bike would be the Fisher, but it's also very much neglegted. Probably cost me the race win last saturday, bad rear derailer setup and mud forced me to SS the race, in the wrong gear. Chainsucked out of the lead, ended up in 44/18 or something with mud everwhere. Yes, my KM would have been better for the race, but I also rode the 16miles out and back to the course, over perfectly smooth, wet Dutch roads.
    Keep at least one geared bike ready-to-ride. SS is IT, but not always. This summer I had serious lung problems, and SS sukked in the hills, could hardly keep up with my girlfriend. Well, I was laying besides the road somewhere halfway the climbing, coughing my lungs out. SS was not a friend of mine that day.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Keep It

When I converted my one and only Litespeed HT, I needed some new drive train stuff, so it made sense to go SS. That was a year ago, 2 weeks after I converted it my wife watched me closely and couldn't keep up with me. Therefore her Litespeed became SS. I sold off all the useable geared stuff and have never looked back. These are our only bikes except for our road bikes and they will stay geared. If I had a nice tricked out bike like yours FS I would keep it. If it was a one of the major name brands out there and only set you back a little bit, I'd sell it use the $ to put cool stuff on your SS. One day I will have another, probably a Titus Racer X 29er, till then I am very happy with what I have. Try putting a sheet over it so 1. You don't see it clearly when you walk out in the garage and 2. Dust doesn't gather so much on it!

Jed Peters
    Hell yeah.

I'm outta shape like a motha right now and need a geared bike back. Man it has been killing me. Add to the fact that I did a couple rides where I couldn't SS (canmore, AB; Grouse Ridge; some Downieville Rides) and I woulda loved to have a gearie.

Think i'll get one!

mtbr member

Wait awhile

Make sure it isn't going to be riden ever before you take a loss on it. You'll know if and/or when to do it.

I had only been mountain biking for about four months when I picked up a DISS on closeout. That was two years ago this month. I tried a few times afterwards to ride the geary, but it wasn't fun at all. About ten months later, I sold the geary because I couldn't stand to see such a nice bike just sitting there, all sad and lonely in the garage.

Funny thing, I was living in Sacramento at the time I went through the same dilemma. I've since moved up to Nevada county, and I don't regret my decision to ditch gears, although I did go from 2:1 to 34:18.
    James
    ---------------
    my bike sucks!

mtbr member
    I ride my SS 99% of the time when I hit the dirt, Funny thing is I have my FS up for sale right now, and next I'm going to get rid of the other dust collector the geared road bike, I'm on my fixie all the time when I hit the road,
    I came to a conclusion that I don't enjoy geared bikes anymore.

CraZy AnDY

hispanic mechanic

Tell ya what...

Go out for a ride on the Blur on your favorite trail. If you realize how much fun you're having, maybe you should keep it. On the other hand, if you're thinking about how heavy, complicated, inefficient, and inelegant the Blur is, part it out.
    You could definitely use the money to get a custom steel SS frame built, which would be easier on the bones for endurance stuff.
    In fact, the funds left over would probably get you a couple of entry fees!

the los (not a single geared off-road bike in my collection, no regrets!)
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Kill your... television

You know how many people would kill to have that dilema?

A SC Blur sitting in the garage collecting dust. A tragedy! I rode my FS geary a couple of times last week for the first time since I got my KM. It was pretty fun. I think having a geary around is a good thing (even though I want to sell it off and buy a GF 29er HT, I just love those big wheels). I like the idea of having a geary in case I go on a cycling trip where I will NEED gears (does that happen?).

Moto

mtbr member

I hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    I like the idea of having a geary in case I go on a cycling trip where I will NEED gears (does that happen?).
    I've been wondering that myself lately. I have a rad soma double cross that I built up all B.O.B.-ish (barcons, brooks, etc.) just in case the wife and I decide to go ride down to Mexico or something, and I need gears to haul panniers or a trailer with, which doesn't just happen when you have a five-year old, ya know? That and my boy-racer road bike (that I HATE) are thick with dust at the moment. I've been toying with the idea of ditching both and picking up a Quickbeam, but those seem really over-priced for the level of components on them.

This may be my justification to sell a few things and call Mr. Chester and finally order my dream bike. Then wait...
    James
    ---------------
    my bike sucks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I had almost the exact same question to confront at the beginging of this race season, I had been riding my ss religiously since December 03 and had this beautiful Blur sitting in the garage collecting dust. To make a long story short, I sold the gears and havn't looked back since then. I have raced 100 mile mtb races and 24 hr solo races aboard my single speed and love it. Simple and Pure, no mis shifts. THe joke umong my friends is that I didnt know how to work on my geared bike so I had to start with a lower maintence and less complicated platfrom, the single speed. Bottom line, single speeds are about commintment, you sound commited, so the answer is easy. Sell.

Medium?

Sell it.

It's a big bunch of funds tied up in a place where they're doing you no good. Wait to get top $$$, spend half the money on a decent geared hardtail (Karate Monkey, Jamis Dragon, Jenson 853 Zion), and save the rest for upgradeSS.

Besides, my guess is that the first time you really need that Blur, it will need some new bushings and your warranty will be up.

I agree with Padre et al about the need for a quality backup. There are some trails that are so steep, that if I wanted to walk, it would be easier to walk up them without a bike.

zeebot
    No regrets here. I went from geared hardtail last year to a squishmaster and then in February this year I met Hollywood and life just hasn't been the same since. Almost immediately upon returning to NYC I sold my squishy and bought a surly completely pimped out to the max. decided the horizontals were a PITA with disc brakes so I had a custome EBB frame made for me this summer.

Somewhere in the mix of this I acquired a fixed gear 1985 schwinn traveler for road epics. Love it too. Now i want to dump the freewheel and go fixed on the MTB as well...sigh.

I see no reason for gears.

paintbucket
    I have a 5 year old FS bike that I regret _not_ selling. Sounds to me like what you need is an SS frame with a derailleur hanger, and a few spare parts so you can convert it to a 1x on those rare occasions when you need gears.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

drm
    Jul 2004

thanks all for your input

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I have a 5 year old FS bike that I regret _not_ selling. Sounds to me like what you need is an SS frame with a derailleur hanger, and a few spare parts so you can convert it to a 1x on those rare occasions when you need gears.
    This might be a good option. My Ventana has a hanger already but no cable stops for the derailleur.

I wonder if shifting performance would be awful running the cable housing all the way from the shifter to the derailleur?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Whenever someone asks me this question, I tell them I have a 20 speed! 10 in the left leg and 10 in the right! By the way DMR, what size is your blur? hahaha

later,

humuhumuhumu

mtbr member
    i sold my last real geared mtb 2 1/2 years ago only regret it was a cove g spot that piveted
    around bottom bracket ,i should have enoed it.i sold my last free wheeled bike a couple of weeks ago its all fixed from here mtb,cx,road i do have a frankin bike 8 speed just for rollers.

highly visible

Sounds like you're committed to SSing already

If you hadn't been riding SS for so long already, or had said you were more the "collector" type with your stuff, I'd say keep the Blur. But it sounds like you know where you're headed, and you're more the "mimimalist" type with your stuff (as I am). You may very well find the Blur needing maintenance every couple of rides if they're as infrequent as you describe.

Take the Blur out for one long, rough, rocky goodbye fling. If you're not still in love with it - more specifically, if you're not finding yourself wanting to take it out instead of your SS on your upcoming rides - let it go. Sell it while it's still worth something.

banned
    Apr 2004

Gears are like steroids

If my fellow riders and racers are going to be on them, then so must I.

Just kidding I'm all Natureal less the diggity dank of course.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Anyone ever sell off his/her singlespeed?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Retro Grouch

In a word , no..

To paraphrase WC Fields, "It was a DS that led me to SS; it's the one thing I'll be forever indebited to her for".

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey DRM, I'm in Auburn

and the only thing I regret, is my El Fuego sitting in the garage wasting away (it's currently on MTBR for sale). We live in an SS goldmine, all of our trails are perfect for SSing so I doubt you'd regret much. On the 12/24 thing, I hate saying get a different frame, because I'm also a past el toro owner, and loved mine but you may consider something a bit less stiff.

By the way, do we know each other?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You don't count

you were outta shape on your geared bike too! Did you decide on what you're gonna buy? By the way, how's Suzy's shoulder?

drm
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    and the only thing I regret, is my El Fuego sitting in the garage wasting away (it's currently on MTBR for sale). We live in an SS goldmine, all of our trails are perfect for SSing so I doubt you'd regret much. On the 12/24 thing, I hate saying get a different frame, because I'm also a past el toro owner, and loved mine but you may consider something a bit less stiff.

By the way, do we know each other?
    I don't think that we've met, but I'm always up for a spin. I'll send you a pm. Do you SS Clementine? What gearing do you use? Regrettably, I've been having similar thoughts about the El Toro.

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

I too feel your pain........

as I have the same problem as you only mine has maybe 200 miles on it.
    The bike is now sitting at my LBS waiting for the right guy to take er away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

Down South Yooper

I never realized

That there were as many people with the same thoughts that I'm having, and in almost the same situation. I'm debating whether my blur is worth keeping since I got my KM SS. The KM is just so much fun, and to tell the truth, I feel as fast or faster than on the blur.

I can remember when I got the blur last year, I was so excited about the new pimp ride, but now I am yearning for a fork for the KM (the Reba looks nice), and thinking about putting disks on it, rather than the blur. Hell, I'm even trying to justify selling the blur by pricing out a geared setup for the KM: I can take the money, build extra geared wheels, buy some derailleurs, convert it over night if there's a ride coming up. In fact, I can probably buy another KM, gear it, and have two for what I have in the blur.....

I think that it's some sort of sickness.

Plum

kung food
    The only thing I ever regret is owning bikes I don't ride. Just the passing thought of owning a bike with dangly shifty bits makes me queasy. Simplify, simplify, simplify, my darlings.

gray hair in my shammy

Smile Love my SS, love my FS geary too

I'd keep it, and work it into your riding. I have a road bike too, and I use that for recovery/long endurance rides, or when the trails are muddy.
    I have a sweet Ti SS that I love riding, but I also love riding my RX 100. I use the RX for longer rockier rides/24hr racing or when my legs are smoked and I still want to ride offroad. I Use my SS for the shorter rides, it its allways more intense on the SS. Riding the SS is allot of fun, but on the longer rides, it completly kicks my arse. Keep the Blur, but ride it once in awhile!!
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"