Anyone racing SS at the Gambrill AMBC MArch 21st?- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Anyone racing SS at the Gambrill AMBC MArch 21st?

Who is going to the AMBC race in Gambrill near Frederick MD? There is a SS class.

Anyone been over there in the last week, how is the trail condition?

http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=1255

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The race is at Greenbrier and it's a NORBA not ambc race

The race is at Greenbrier State park (not Gambrill) on Sunday March 21. It is a NORBA event. It's a few miles west of Gambrill.

Marla Streb has registered along with a few pro teams. Should be 400+ riders.

You only need a license if racing the expert class.

I'm definitely racing SS but watch that SS class. Going to be alot of local expert/pro riders that don't want to pay $50 for a license (to race the only midatlantic norba event this year) and will default to the SS class.

here's the link to the site.

http://www.fitness-concepts.com/Gree...gistration.htm

formerly Giantxc

I am

You mean at Greenbrier near Frederick. It and Gambrill are different parks.

Nonethless, I'll be there.

formerly Giantxc

Oh yeah...

Oh yeah, there's also a trail maintence day there tomorrow at 9:30 to get the trails prep'd for the race. see www.more-mtb.org

Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

Looks like I had my head up my @$$ when I posted.

If you read down the registration from, it says the race is an AMBC....I was surprised to see it is an AMBC. Does anyone know differently, or is the form wrong??

I will see you guys there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My mistake AMBC & NORBA sanctioned here's the link

mtbr member

might be there

I'm not really in racing form yet this year and might be forced to run it in fixed gear mode (depleted braking surface on front rim forces new build, won't happen in time.....) but it should be fun. Rockdogger is right though - anticipate ultra fast and competitive SS class.

Has anyone ridden the course? If I do decide to make a fool of myself running a fixie am I in for too much trouble?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll pre-ride tomorrow

after trail maintainance and post conditions. There is one STEEP loose hill in the course. Good thing it's close to the start. Hill starts of steep, gets steeper then eases off but is long.

Many of the experts were walking it by the 3rd lap on geared bikes last year. Should be fun is a sick way.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Why fixie?

I can lend you a freewheel if you need. Not the White though!

There are spots where you can hurt yourself if you're going top speed on a fixie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I can loan you a wheel

just don't beat me on it :-)

mtbr member

cause

1) after liberating it from you I'd have to try it out!
    2) would be a good excuse for an otherwise (likely) dismal showing ;-)
    3) wouldn't have to rely on front braking on that rim

But, I just remembered I have a spare front wheel, so 3 is moot.

I've got plenty of freewheels too......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Greenbrier ..

Looks like they need to run that course the other way looking at the elevation profile!

I'm going on up there for sure - looks like there's only 1 preregistered SS'er besides you all who got the "race for free pass" on maintenance day - should be a fun time.

See you up there -

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Yeah, I think it would be easier if they ran it backwards. The first long climb is killer so get ready for some hike-a-biking. Even if you could ride all the way up the climbs, I suspect there will be plenty of people hopping off. Not even the gearies I rode with made it all the way up the hills.

Besides the one climb, the rest of the course is really fast. Even if it rains a little, y'all still will rip it up.

Tear it up Nick, and you know what to do if your freewheel freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixeyfreeride
    Looks like they need to run that course the other way looking at the elevation profile!

I'm going on up there for sure - looks like there's only 1 preregistered SS'er besides you all who got the "race for free pass" on maintenance day - should be a fun time.

See you up there -

formerly Giantxc
    There were a whole bunch of SS'ers there Saturday and I'm pretty sure at least a few are racing.

The big climb is tough. I'm not looking forward to doing it 3 times - not this early in the season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any gear recommendations?

I've been running 34 x 17 around Wakefield and Fountainhead the last year and can clear most of the hills. I have an 18,19, and a 20 and haven't been able to get up there to check things out.
    Thanks!

formerly Giantxc
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonc
    I've been running 34 x 17 around Wakefield and Fountainhead the last year and can clear most of the hills. I have an 18,19, and a 20 and haven't been able to get up there to check things out.
    Thanks!
    I ran 32-17 there on Saturday and the combo worked well. I didn't clear the hill, but I got caught behind a gearie doing the sit and spin routine. By lap 3, I have a feeling I may not be able to do it with the 17, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway mostly because I don't feel like going out and buying an 18 and swapping it out the 16 currently on the flip side. If you have a flip-flop and the time, I'd suggest throwing the 18 and 19 on and heading out Saturday to preride the course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sunday, sunday, sunday....

Season is kickin' off and I can't ait to see everyone rippin' those trails up. The SSpeed race should be fun and the tech. sections aren't that bad. 3 laps should be fun and the Pink Monster is salivating at the chance to test out the legs and lungs...PA has been clod and snow filled...good thing I messengered for a month to get the leags back. See everyone Sunday morning. I'll have fliers for the May race up here! Eric Roman

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

single speeders unite

Hey look, this is how I see it. For what ever reason we have all chosen Single Speeds as our passion. And this race is early for everyone, but promoters are watching. Whether we get to ride 2 hours a week or 20 hours, doesn't matter, we want to gather and celebrate the joy that is our bond, the single speed bike. The competition will be fun, but more importantly if we want to have single speed classes in the Mid Atlantic, we need to suport them. I for one am looking to get smacked around pretty good this weekend, but I will be proud to line up with my fellow single speeding brothers and sisters...

much respect
    fatmarc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I signed up for it, but what about this F***ing snow. Will they still run the race?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

think Flandrian Bulldogs....

sping classics, mud, snow, cans of cheap beer- I mean fine Belgian Brews, snot running down your face, cold feet, numb fingers, and then the reward of all those Euro Ladies waiting to tell us how wonderful we were on our bikes.....MMMM...spring...can't wait to see everyone...Eric

Fahrrad fahren

SO? How did it go??

So, who actually went? How was the race? Sure looked cold and windy up on the mountain.

H
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

mtbr member

Cold, windy, wet and muddy

Good times were had! A few locals and denizens of this board - including Rockdogger, Joe.P, DmofoT, Mike from Jamis Bikes (handle?) and myself braved the 20 minute wait at the starting line and were rewarded with a great course that had a bit of everything...good steep climbs, tight rocky and rooty downhills, and veritable swamps. As expected, some fast mofos helped ensure that not any of us really had stellar finishes. Eric Roman won handily - no surprise there! Jon Hansen also was in the top five, and I do have to point out that Joe.P had one heck of a strong finish - just blazed by me in the last mile and I had nothing left with which to give chase.

mtbr member

What ShivaSteve didn't mention...

was that he was the only bada$$ on a fixie! Absolutely no way I could have caught up with him otherwise. I'm used to finishing somewhere in the back of the pack, but even I could see that this was a fast field.

Best parts for me:
    1) Eric Roman getting off his bike at the start line and going around wishing everyone good luck (BTW he turned in the fastest time out of all the 3 lap races hands down)
    2) Sprinting off the starting line and getting to the single track in something like 5th place, and then getting passed by everyone on the first hill and winding up in 19th.
    3) Walking every hill on the last lap
    4) And last but not least, the SS tribe vibe.

Great day, great race, general happiness all around. Ok back to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was a great event, it was rad and the vibe while staging was definately cool. Everyone wishing everyone luck. A couple of fellas had a couple sips of beer before the start. The Norba offical was kinda surprised at the size of our field. he did a double take. That was punk rock too. I have to give props to the pro woman Lauri Webber who does not hold a pro licence but was ripping on her single speed in the pro class I think 3rd until she flatted. Thanks to everyone that came out it was a great event. Even more props to that super freak E Roman super cool dude, And really props to all of the single speeders, everyone was feeling the love, and everyone was really cool. I was damn proud to be a part of all this. Definately an outstanding event. Are there any pictures out on the web?

fatmarc

mtbr member

Yeah but one thing -

Fatmarc - you ain't so fat! I think you need an "s" in that handle. But if you throw me that sweet Spot woolie, I won't tell anyone next time I see you lined up at a race. Wouldn't want to throw the odds ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That was good.
    Don't make me break out my fat pants again before September....

respect,
    fatmarc