Anyone out there ride cyclocross?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Anyone out there ride cyclocross?

If so, are there any relatively cheap, complete cyclocross rigs out htere that anyone would recommend? Is there any sort of FAQ for newbie cyclocross riders?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

rejected

roadies

maybe here... at the roadbikereview.com cyclocross board.....???

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    the surley cross check is a good ride for the money. you can buy them as complete builds or frame and fork only. the goemetry is not traditional cross, but its more than adiquate for a guy or gal thats gonna have some cross fun. you can use them as a heavy duty road bike or a touring rig. they have semi horizontal drop outs so you can run it fixed or ss too. its da shizzle.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    If so, are there any relatively cheap, complete cyclocross rigs out htere that anyone would recommend? Is there any sort of FAQ for newbie cyclocross riders?

IIRC the Surly Cross Check is the most reasonably priced complete, about $850-900. Most other complete bike mfgers make 'em too, Trek, Cannondale, Bianchi, Kona, etc. but priced a bit higher.

Try these links for starters:
    http://www.maddogmedia.com/crossnet/howto.html
    http://members.aol.com/napavelo/intro.htm
    http://www.stlbiking.com/cyclocross101.htm
    http://www.triathlon.co.nz/triconz/T...les.asp?id=166
    http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/Tech.cfm

There is also the CX board on the roadie forum and Simon Burney's classic book entitled Cyclo-Cross.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Consider used

Any new cross bike sitting on a dealers floor is likely to be marked down soon if not already.

I see a lot good used bikes. By Dec. 1st, cross is over in most locales except for nats. There's usually a fair amount of decent used bikes just after the season is over. Also, just before the new season, there tends to be a lot of stuff available. I bought a used Kelley single speed cross bike last week for $850 complete.

BTW, the single speed class in my area draws 40-60 guys a weekend and is the second fastest race of the day behind the As. If you dig single speed mtbing, you'll love single speed cross

cheers

34N 118W

brands

Redline
    Fuji
    Kona
    KHS

try driving your car less
    I bought a used crosscheck and, while it is a nice bike, I suck at cross, as evidenced by the two photos below. I am the loser that wipes out in the sand pit and people had to run over me.
    SS content: in the second pic, fixedbeer is in his gunnar jersey and orange helmet and rode to a commanding 12th place on a fixed gear.
    Unknown dude in red helmet hoisting his bike over me in that same pic was riding a Matt Chester SS (someone on this board??). And I beat the kid in the motorcycle helmet, at least. This race had a beer tent that the racers had to ride through. So we drank Buzzards Bay Porter (free, of course) from the tap and watched Mark McCormick smoke the field. That guy is so fast it's scary. 2003 US Road Champ, fer chrissakes. Also won cross nats at some point, I think.
    The other cool thing about this race is that it's across the street from my house. Coonamessett Ecocross.

Only boring people get bored.

cut like the fog.
    I love my Kona Jake the Snake, fantastic bike which has all but replaced my roadie bike. They're definitely cheap to be had and a great value.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a quasi-cyclocross bike for the winter (or what passes for the winter around here). It's a tank, but boy do I go downhill fast In a few weeks it's going to turn into my 24 hr race tank.

As for cyclocross, give it a shot on whatever bike you've got - it's a nice quick pain trip

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    the best all around reasonably priced bike i've seen is redline. they are designed by a former masters nat'l champ, and are real race bikes that handle well, and the frames are dimensioned for easy carrying. that's what i raced when i was racing, and i just recently got a new one for commuting and play.

mw
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    the best all around reasonably priced bike i've seen is redline. they are designed by a former masters nat'l champ, and are real race bikes that handle well, and the frames are dimensioned for easy carrying. that's what i raced when i was racing, and i just recently got a new one for commuting and play.

mw

Will disagree and agree with you somewhat. Yes, the ubiquitous Redline Conquest is a very reasonably priced, relatively light (aluminum), and capable racer, but it is designed for just that- racing. They have tigher geo than a Surly (or Soma, etc.), have no rack mounts, and using full fenders will be tight. I don't think you can call it a true all-around frame (although you did say it's a "real race bike"). However, they do make a Conquest Tour (or something like that) and they are going for <$200 at Greenfish Sports in some sizes. Now that is a great deal!
    Last edited by roadiegonebad; 11-18-2004 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bianchi makes a Volpe (I think thats it) It's reynolds 520 with full brazeons. It's a do it all road/cyclocross/light touring rig. Loose the suspension seatpost and adjustable stem and you've got yourself a weener. And for 2005 it comes in a great pea soup type green. Think it's priced right there with a complete Crosscheck (surly)

I raced my old Crosscheck SS 2 seasons of cross and it was a great bike to race Bs. I'm not that fast. This year I'm racing a Waterford X-11 SS cyclocross. SS cross has it's high and low points just like any other time. Gear accordingly and better to gear too low than too high. Unless you really like pain.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by OFSFrank
    Unless you really like pain.

I thought CX was all about pain???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I thought CX was all about pain???
    Yeah you got me there

Nothing like sloggin through 6" of mud for 45 minutes with a monster gear!
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

Witty McWitterson
    Yep. Loving my ENO'd Major Jake here. It's become my everyday roadie too.
    Just a regular guy.

Where's Toto?
    I currently ride a Spot singlespeed crosser as well as a custom Merlin crosser. Both were finds on eBay. Before that I rode a Trek XO-1, which I would highly recommend. Other good, off the shelf buys from Redline, Kona Jake the Snake, Lemond Poprad (steel frame), Bianchi, and Surly. If you want a great all around bike that can be used both on and off road, for commuting, road training, even light touring, the cross bike rocks. I would recommend looking for something with clearance for at least 42c tires - that way you can slap on some bigger tires and can take on some pretty burly trails. Put on some 23c rubber and you're out with the roadies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hey all- Thanks for the feedback/information

I'm going to be checking out the Surly and the Bianchi- all depends upon sixzing- the Bianchi is at 55cm and the surly is at 54cm and 56cm. I have NO idea on sizing so I'm gonna check them both out if I can (provided I can find a Surly dealer with a cross check in stock...
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Where's Toto?
    Be real careful on sizing. Cyclocross bikes have a higher bottom bracket, therefore, the distance from the BB to the center or top of the seat tube is shorter --- this means you will typically ride a smaller frame size when measured in the traditional CT or CC way. I always suggest using top tube length and standover height to compare to estimate frame sizes. Of course the best method is to get some sizing help that knows cross and has the bikes on the floor so you can test ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Redline
    Fuji
    Kona
    KHS
    Fuji or Redline are good choices. Reasonably priced and lightweight units.
    Also check out the Felt or Cannondale (non-headshock) for a lightweight AL rig.

"Mr. Britannica"

mtbr member

My 1st year racing Cross and...

Most fun I have had racing in a while...definately a blast...and hard. Cross racers (a least to me) are a faster group of racers. I've been racing B's, though my riding time has really diminished since June. Either I am greatly out of shape or as I mentioned, they are just a fast bunch of riders.

Picture - My remounts are kind of close so I need to work on these, but everyone is doing just fine and the facila expression is due to intensity.

I just bought the 05 Cannondale that has basic components and it has been working great. I just sold the original wheelset and had Mike Garcia build me up a lighter wheelset. Specific hubs, Velocity deep rims and bladed spokes.

KMan

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Be real careful on sizing. Cyclocross bikes have a higher bottom bracket, therefore, the distance from the BB to the center or top of the seat tube is shorter --- this means you will typically ride a smaller frame size when measured in the traditional CT or CC way. I always suggest using top tube length and standover height to compare to estimate frame sizes. Of course the best method is to get some sizing help that knows cross and has the bikes on the floor so you can test ride.
    Yup. That's why they're not the best road bikes.

If you're gonna be near Lexington, Kentucky, there's a shop here with three Surly Crosschecks in stock.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Kona, Surly, Redline

If so, are there any relatively cheap, complete cyclocross rigs out htere that anyone would recommend?
    I just built a new Surly Cross Check for pretty cheap. Lovin' the heck out of it. Kona, Surly and Redline all make good, cheap crossers.
    Is there any sort of FAQ for newbie cyclocross riders?
    Check the cx board at Road Bike Review and there's always Cyclocross World.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Beacon

Was that pic at Beacon?

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Most fun I have had racing in a while...definately a blast...and hard. Cross racers (a least to me) are a faster group of racers. I've been racing B's, though my riding time has really diminished since June. Either I am greatly out of shape or as I mentioned, they are just a fast bunch of riders.

Picture - My remounts are kind of close so I need to work on these, but everyone is doing just fine and the facila expression is due to intensity.

I just bought the 05 Cannondale that has basic components and it has been working great. I just sold the original wheelset and had Mike Garcia build me up a lighter wheelset. Specific hubs, Velocity deep rims and bladed spokes.

KMan

mtbr member

Yes....

Taken right after the short sand pit right before the stairs run-up.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    Was that pic at Beacon?

mtbr member

Raced yesterday

Just rode my first cross race in several years, I forgot how much fun it was. I built up an old Serrotta T-Max Mountain bike into a SS and had a blast. I found that none of the geared bikes could keep up on the hills (they didn't want to climb as fast as I had to). The only one that could, passed me at the finish line. Then I noticed he was on a SS Cross bike, he won't get me next time...