Anyone Missing rides due to SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone Missing rides due to SS?

I'm new to riding and bought a Monocog for my first bike. I'm having loads of fun on it but there are hills I end up walking some on no prob I can deal with that. Last week my buddies went on a ride that was mostly straight up a long, Long, steep hill. I know a lot of you could make the hill on your SS but I know I would have been a walking SOB. Next time they go I'll probably not go with them on that particular ride.

Anyone miss out on rides that just are bigger than your ability? At this point it looks like I either put gears on my bike or skip rides. Other options?

Brandon
    There's always money in the banana stand.

Rusting Steel
    I have found that if I am walking my SS in most cases I'd be walking my geared bike.

It sounds like you have your gearing set too high. I run 34x18 and find it works perfect for me in the Smokies, Pisgah, Colorado, etc... I tend to get spun out faster than the 2:1 ers on flats, but all in all it's a good gearing for me. My friend will push a 33x19 or a 32x19 sometimes on hillier rides.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    No, not at all. In most cases I can walk/ride my bike up any climb as fast as most of the group.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    If it's really that long a steep then they will be spinning up the hill in their granny gears, going much slower than you. So you stand up and power up the hill as far as yo ucan go, when you run out of steam, then stop or walk to recover a little, by the time they catch up, repeat.
    Couple of weeks ago i tagged along a group fo geared riders who are much stronger than me, and there was a big steep hill. At the base I rode away from them, about 2/3-3/4 of the way up I had to get off the bike, and walked the rest. The strongest an fastest of them passed me spinning granny just few yards from the top. The rest arrived to the top after I got there walking.

There is a rule that I keep hearing from many different people : "the only way to get stronger and faster is to ride with people who are stronger and faster than you!"
    Go on the rides, push yourself. It'll make you sronger. SSing will force you to work harder, improving your fitness faster, and before you know it, you'll be waiting for them at the top of all climbs. And they will be missing rides because of gears!
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The only hills I can't climb on the SS are the really sick technical ones that I only had a 50% chance at best at clearing on my geared bike.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonNorCal
    I'm new to riding and bought a Monocog for my first bike. I'm having loads of fun on it but there are hills I end up walking some on no prob I can deal with that. Last week my buddies went on a ride that was mostly straight up a long, Long, steep hill. I know a lot of you could make the hill on your SS but I know I would have been a walking SOB. Next time they go I'll probably not go with them on that particular ride.

Anyone miss out on rides that just are bigger than your ability? At this point it looks like I either put gears on my bike or skip rides. Other options?

Brandon
    There are always going to be some hills that you will never be able to ride up...SS or geared.

I find that as long as I have decent traction, I can usually keep up with most other riders, but sometimes you just have to get off and run/walk it. No big deal.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i gained a hike last weekend haha i went for a ride at a new to me place and found a steep fire road that went on forever i just couldn't maintain any traction so i walked up it i would have been stopping and resting a lot if i could've maintained traction though i was on a monocog as well. im not very new to riding (9 years) but i need to do it more so im off for a ride now.

mtbr member
    have fun dog.

mtbr member

There is Another Option

I am also concerned about keeping up with friends when I am on the single speed. For the fast friends, I keep a geared bike so I can at least keep them in sight. There are just too many rides with long climbs and technical downhills that overtax the single speed. Riding the single speed has definitely made me faster, so they don't get as far ahead anymore. With the slower friends, I ride the single speed.

I recommend you offer your friends a sample of the single speed riding on some relatively flat, twisting singletrack. They will also get hooked and buy their own single speeds - problem solved! You could also but a second geared bike, but I suspect you will sorely miss the simplicity of the single speed every time you miss a shift or try to drag the extra weight up a slightly inclined trail.

Bend, OR
    If the hill is steep enough for me to have to walk, and if others are riding, it won't be much faster than I can walk. Everything else I was going to say has pretty much been said I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, but that's because i only have a MTB tring to show up to my friend's roadie bike club. I went once, made it up the hills, except very slowly. They've asked me not to bring the bike again and try to bring my parents road bike.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    have fun dog.
    I did! it ended up being my first night ride this year and what a blast!! it seemed like i was going a little faster than usual maybe it was the adrenalin from riding in the dark or just the newness of it all (dont do much night riding) but either way it was a perfect beginning to halloween! cant wait for tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    At my current weight yes there are times I miss out on a ride when I know I should be going. I'm 280 I got down to 240 before summer hit. Here in South Carolina its so hot in the summers to ride ( at least for me) Falls back so I'll be hitting the trails soon but it wont last long winter will be here & I think this year we're in for a rough one. I want a gearie too so I can go back & forth just can't afford one right now.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

player hater
    Oct 2006
    Biggest drag and hesitation is not hills it is the long rides to get into the hills - where folks are pushing big gears to get there -

mtbr member
    One thing that I've found when climbing hills on my SS is if you know your aproaching the hill & its a smooth climb, pedal your ass off get carry as much speed as you can going up it & dont stop. Nevermind thats been said sorry.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    One thing that I've found when climbing hills on my SS is if you know your aproaching the hill & its a smooth climb, pedal your ass off get carry as much speed as you can going up it & dont stop.
    That doesn't help much for 1 hour, 2000' climbs.

mtbr member
    Thats So true!
    ~Kierkegaard

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That doesn't help much for 1 hour, 2000' climbs.
    especially when your riding partners are truly fit...
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    Yes, but that's because i only have a MTB tring to show up to my friend's roadie bike club. I went once, made it up the hills, except very slowly. They've asked me not to bring the bike again and try to bring my parents road bike.
    Ha! You brought a SS mtb to a group road ride!?!? With off-road gearing???? I'm amazed they didn't ditch you within the first 10 minutes! "You're on your own! So long suckah!"

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Spin, spin, spin…

About the only time I can keep up or overtake a roadie on my SS is on the descents. It’s quite funny actually as a local MTB bunch and separate Roadie bunch often do the same road loop during winter. The Roadies usually do two laps to our one, but we always seem to ride the descents together. Coming through!!

Back on topic though, and initially the SS was a hindrance for me on the climbs, but after a while it’s become business as usual, and it has made me a little more determined to make it to the top. I actually find that in most cases I’m climbing better on the SS. Technical climbing is a different story though. I have nothing really to add, it’s all been mentioned.

Happy trails!

Dave.

Over the Hill
    My friends tell me and I think it may be true. I am I stronger SS rider than a geared rider. I am basicly lazy and if it has a lower gear I will use it.

My problem riding SS with other geared bike riders is on the flats...I am not a good spiner

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    At my current weight yes there are times I miss out on a ride when I know I should be going. I'm 280 I got down to 240 before summer hit.
    Not to hijack the thread. But SS'ing at 240 is awesome....good for you. It only gets easier....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

climbing w/ geared bikes

I think the biggest issue when riding with geared bikes is the different way they tackle hills. Many gear way down and sit and spin while a SS'er is forced to attack the hill more to keep the gear rolling over. Getting stuck behind someone spinning in a 22/30 bogs you down more than anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brandon, give it a try. You might have better luck keeping up than you think. I remember riding the Berryman with group that included Rev Patrick. The Rev was on his Surly and I on a geared FS. He was ahead of me. While I was able to granny gear up one of the hills I never could catch up to Patrick walking. He probably expended less energy that way as well.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brandon, give it a try. You might have better luck keeping up than you think. I remember riding the Berryman with group that included Rev Patrick. The Rev was on his Surly and I on a geared FS. He was ahead of me. While I was able to granny gear up one of the hills I never could catch up to Patrick walking. He probably expended less energy that way as well.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I used to have a similar problem when started to ride the ss most of the time my geared riding buddies didn't wanted me to take the ss to the rides. They thought that I may become the anchor man and slow the ride, I'm almost always of the back so it really didn't mattered much.

At the end I sold the geared full susser and only kept the ss, now my only riding buddies are my son and my neighboor that also rides ss.

Have been on group rides and most of the people are intrigued by the ss but when ride time comes they forget all about it.

Category Winner
    I wouldn't say I've been "missing" rides, Bob

I might have felt that way at first, but I definitely don't let my bike choice affect me now.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member

I have learned , one of the most important thing for me is - Riding at my own pace.

I can go forever at my own pace, when I am trying to keep up with a fast group I'm done.

mtbr member

Brandon
    at first yes. Now, not so much. I find myself riding with SSers more anyway, so we're all on the same page. The only time I get left behind is when I ride w/ people who are faster than me, singlespeeding or not. The thing about walking a SS is that it's a hell of a lot lighter than a geared bike so there's an advantage too. You'll learn to ride the hell out of that thing sooner or later and you'll start dropping your buddies on those long steady climbs (you'll crush them on shorter steeper sections too!) - just watch them make their time up on the flats, that's about the only time I want gears though. It's a wash, they can keep their fragile, loud drive trains.

mtbr member
    I'm new to riding and bought a Monocog for my first bike.

Give it time. You will get more fit. And look into lightening up that Redline. I used to own an '06 and it was a total pig.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sausagehead
    Give it time. You will get more fit. And look into lightening up that Redline. I used to own an '06 and it was a total pig.
    Thanks Joe and everyone else I have spent the last week researcing and pricing out ways to gear the bike and needed to do it to remember why in the hell I got a SS in the first place. I've come to my senses. The single speed stays. I don't know why the gears idea even poisoned my mind.

I think lightening the bike will help some too. different rear tire, different pedals, new seat. and I'll hit the search function to find some other ways to lighten up. The biggest change will just be losing 10-15 lbs off of my fat a$$. Thanks again!

Brandon

mtbr member

Welcome Back

Nothing like a little intervention from your friends on singlespeeds to bring you back to your senses. The biggest bang to lighten up the bike is with light tires to cut down on rotating mass. It saves weight and allows quicker acceleration. Try looking into 1.95 tires (I run Nevegals) which can make a big difference compared to the weight of 2.3s.

Nervous Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    Build up a cheap roadie at something like 52:16 gearing and they'll let you ride...

Remember- Lance likes to sping big gears!

On second thought, they might ask you not to ride that bike either, after you dust their $$ carbon road bikes.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member

Own Pace

I have to echo Burtondog sentament, ride your own pace, nothing ruins the shear pleasure of a ride more than trying to ride someone elses pace, SS or FS. Thats why I go solo most of the time on my SS, I can just enjoy the ride and be out under God's blue sky (more gray here in Oregon).

I ride FS with my buddies and SS on my own since no one else in my crew is into SS. Being some what of a loner I find the FS is good for group rides but nothing beats the quiet spin on the SS when its just you and nature.

Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Here's my technique. If you're not strong/fast enough, slow your buddies down:
    -- Start bringing lots of beer to the next couple rides in a cooler. I'm talking good stuff - nice local microbrews. Have your friends enjoy a few after you've the tough ride. Thus you're turning your weekly rides into more of a social event than a purely athletic one.. Maybe even sponsor some kind of contest for your friends with the price being some kind of beer jersey. The trick is to always drink at least 2 less beers than your firends.
    -- After two or three rides, everyone else will start bringing the beer, or establish a good rotation, so you're not footing the bill. (if not, get new friends) But you're burning more energy on the singlespeed, plus packing in less calories after the ride (still at least 2 beers less than the fast guys).
    -- Notice that now you're friends are much more fun, but not nearly as good shape as when you started riding with them a few months ago, they're just a few pedals slower... Now, surprisingly -- you can hang!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0