Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632

    Anyone know the weight of a complete Karate Monkey, Kona Unit, and RL Flight Mono?

    Looking to get my first singlespeed and want to see what a complete weighs, as well as, what has the better specs.

    The surly frame seems to weigh a lot. I can get a great deal on a Kona Unit and possibly RL Flight Mono.

    Are there any others out there I should consider? Any insights would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,591
    My guess is the Monocog Flite would be the lightest of the three. But that's just guessin.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSSasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    618
    I bet the Flight and the Unit are pretty close in weight. Similar grade steel and spec.

    However, the Unit has better brakes and cranks. If the price is even remotely similar between the two, I would definitely get the unit.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Godless Communist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    If the price is even remotely similar between the two, I would definitely get the unit.
    I'd let the geometry decide that. The MCF has a fairly short top tube.

    I don't know the weights, but I've compared my MCF to my buddy's Karate. The Redline was noticeably lighter.

  5. #5
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,592
    Had the Flight, now the Monkey. Monkey's heavier, but I like it!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Had the Flight, now the Monkey. Monkey's heavier, but I like it!
    Sorry, not a stock build
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8fCzj20yYnIJa_TtYwkFJA?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KyFJBul3K_w/TkM7ovh9a4I/AAAAAAAADrE/dREXK6LO7fU/s800/P8070031.JPG" height="600" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.S.Dolan/20110808?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">2011-08-08</a></td></tr></table>

    Race ready...SUB 30#!! Take that WW forum
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UpNCbDA3Cd8tWgAV9gfJ6Q?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pXJoKk2nJ0Y/TkM7rG0_bII/AAAAAAAADrI/HXIlp9yIvI4/s800/P8070032.JPG" height="800" width="600" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.S.Dolan/20110808?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">2011-08-08</a></td></tr></table>

    I do have an 18" and a 20" stock build in stock at the shop that I can weigh for you tomorrow, which would be more relevant?

  7. #7
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Sorry, not a stock build


    Race ready...SUB 30#!! Take that WW forum

    I do have an 18" and a 20" stock build in stock at the shop that I can weigh for you tomorrow, which would be more relevant?
    Sub #30 with all the trimmings!

    My Monkey is rigid. Haven't weighed it, but probably lighter than with a sus fork. The Flight was rigid too and was quite nice until the wreck...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    My Monkey is rigid. Haven't weighed it, but probably lighter than with a sus fork. The Flight was rigid too and was quite nice until the wreck...
    If memory serves, I gained a hair over a pound going to the squishy fork

    EDIT: And, like you my former single speed was lighter but I like the monkey better
    EDIT #2: You would also probably be hard pressed to find a heavier saddle or handle bar or seat post, more weight savings for you
    Last edited by DanD; 08-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    If memory serves, I gained a hair over a pound going to the squishy fork

    EDIT: And, like you my former single speed was lighter but I like the monkey better
    EDIT #2: You would also probably be hard pressed to find a heavier saddle or handle bar or seat post, more weight savings for you
    yeah, the brooks is a beast. I think it weighed about 3 times more than my road bike saddle. A guy I ride with has a brooks with springs on his hard tail stumpy 29er

  10. #10
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    don't consider the monkey if you're concerned about numbers on a scale.

    that being said, the monkey is a BLAST to ride. there's just something about it. i have a 20 lb niner one9 and a substantially heavier fixed monkey and it puts a smile on my face like no other bike. (whether fixed or fw)

    i've had a km in the stable for almost 10 years and always will. not cuz it's light or fancy or blingy. cuz it's FUN!!!
    Last edited by monogod; 08-10-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    yeah, the brooks is a beast. I think it weighed about 3 times more than my road bike saddle. A guy I ride with has a brooks with springs on his hard tail stumpy 29er
    3x sounds about right, the Brooks is around 600 grams, give or take. I wouldn't trade it for the world at hour 23 of a 24 hour race though

  12. #12
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Had the Flight, now the Monkey. Monkey's heavier, but I like it!
    Same here.....my KM is 25lbs in SS, rigid form.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    100
    My 19" Unit was high 27's when I bought it with egg beaters. If I remember correctly the frame weighed 5.4lbs with the dropouts and the fork was 2.9lbs. Pretty heavy but I like how it rides. The 2012's are nice looking too with a little better rims. The only thing that sucks bad are the hubs. If you buy a Unit you will be replacing the rear hub within a year.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4
    2011 18" Kona Unit weighed in at 27.1lbs at the LBS when I bought it. This included weight of full reflector kit... since removed

  15. #15
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632
    thanks for all the responses. I'd be looking at an 18". Another question though, does the unit and MCF come with singlespeed hubs? If so, could you improve the engagement with a different freewheel like a White Industries? I heard the hubs kinda wear out quickly on these bikes.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    138
    My 2011 19" unit is just over 27lbs. Both hubs are steel threaded axles and the alex rims are for rim brakes so a new wheel set could make it lighter. Its a blast to ride.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    I have a 23 lb monkey. What do I win?

  18. #18
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,592

    Upset

    Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    I have a 23 lb monkey. What do I win?
    Banana for you! I like comfort over being a racer. I got a Brooks saddle on mine and I'm not giving that up!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    I have a 23 lb monkey. What do I win?
    That's pretty impressive, how do you have it built?

  20. #20
    Suffering Mightily
    Reputation: Drbbt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    215
    I had a rigid Monkey at 24.9 lbs. with nothing special in the way of components. KMs are great bikes!
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    That's pretty impressive, how do you have it built?
    I've just been replacing parts as they break. I haven't necessarily been trying to make a weenie build, but it's kind of turned out that way:

    King rear hub to Stan's Crest
    Hope XC front hub to Stan's 355
    Thomson stem/post
    M960 cranks
    King bottom bracket
    King headset
    Homebrew ring and cog
    Salsa rigid fork
    Easton carbon bars
    Avid Juicy 7/Carbon/Ultimate (built and rebuilt with parts scavenged from all over)
    185mm rotors
    Edit to add: specialized captain/renegade tires f/r set up tubeless

    I don't remember what seat is on there. It's really light weight, but my nether-regions seem to like it, so it works out!

    Despite being fairly light weight, it's pretty stout and has survived a lot of beating. I think the weak link is the 355 front hoop, it got a little bent when I got drunk and took the bike out on a shuttle day.

    Where's my banana?

  22. #22
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by chmnyboy View Post
    Where's my banana?
    Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Godless Communist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    thanks for all the responses. I'd be looking at an 18". Another question though, does the unit and MCF come with singlespeed hubs? If so, could you improve the engagement with a different freewheel like a White Industries? I heard the hubs kinda wear out quickly on these bikes.
    MCF is a cassette. No problems with engagement or wear.

  24. #24
    WWYD?
    Reputation: johnnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist View Post
    MCF is a cassette. No problems with engagement or wear.
    The hubs/wheels that came on my flight and monocog were cassette bearings. Easy to rebuild, and find parts for.

    Just want to mention the flight has a sliding dropout setup. I had an unfortunate wreck/endo/flip that slammed the dropout and deformed it. Wallowed out where the bolts tightened and ruined the frame. Nice bike, the Flight. Handled great and has a shorter top tube than the monkey. I like the monkey's horizontal dropouts with the hangar option if I want a derailleur. Less to mess up IMO.

  25. #25
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632
    Ok, the Monkey is back on the table. It just seems very versatile. Anyone know if there are any changes for 2012?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    71
    29er only i'm assuming...?

  27. #27
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632
    Yes, just 29'rs that come complete.

  28. #28
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    Sorry, not a stock build
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8fCzj20yYnIJa_TtYwkFJA?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KyFJBul3K_w/TkM7ovh9a4I/AAAAAAAADrE/dREXK6LO7fU/s800/P8070031.JPG" height="600" width="800" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.S.Dolan/20110808?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">2011-08-08</a></td></tr></table>

    Race ready...SUB 30#!! Take that WW forum
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UpNCbDA3Cd8tWgAV9gfJ6Q?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pXJoKk2nJ0Y/TkM7rG0_bII/AAAAAAAADrI/HXIlp9yIvI4/s800/P8070032.JPG" height="800" width="600" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/Dan.S.Dolan/20110808?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">2011-08-08</a></td></tr></table>

    I do have an 18" and a 20" stock build in stock at the shop that I can weigh for you tomorrow, which would be more relevant?
    If you could weigh the 18" that would be great! I'm kinda on the KM bandwagon with all of the options it holds.

    I can always put a carbon fork on it down the road too, not for weight but damping the trail.

  29. #29
    Life is Go0d!
    Reputation: mo0se's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    891
    A 19 Inch stock Flight is 26.8 lbs.. with crank brothers Candy SL pedals...mine was anyway. I can poost a pic on a scale if you'd like.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

  30. #30
    Master of the Obvious
    Reputation: Angus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Ok, the Monkey is back on the table. It just seems very versatile. Anyone know if there are any changes for 2012?
    The KM for 2012 will be disc only and will have a lighter more responsive front fork, same colors from 2011 black or battleship grey.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hihache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    31
    My 2005 Unit weighed about 26 pounds with a half pound bashguard and freeride wheels on it

  32. #32
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    2011 Kona Unit 18"

    25.5#

    Changes from stock setup:
    -relfectors
    +Easton Haven 2011 wheelset
    +Easton Haven Carbon handlebar
    +ODI Rogue Lock On Grips
    +Brooks B17 Narrow saddle
    +Speedplay Frog pedals
    +Incredibell XL
    +Surly 21t cog
    +KMC 8 speed chain
    +Purgatory 2.4" tubeless front & Purgatory 2.2" tubeless rear
    +140ml of Caffelatex
    +TruVativ Team Carbon seatpost
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,055
    The seller put it on the scale before shipping to me. As pictured (hey, where are the pedals) it was 24 pounds and 7 ounces. Or did he say 11 ounces?

    Surly Karate Monkey - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    138
    2011 19" unit now with some carbon parts.

    Niner carbon fork
    Havoc carbon bar
    Haven carbon seat post
    2.4" Racing Ralphs
    (This cost as much as the bike).

    Everthing else still stock

    24.2lbs

    Cant wait to put a lighter wheelset on.

  35. #35
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    632
    Decided to go with the unit. I'm going to convert the wheels to tubless and add some Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires to it. The stock 2.1 seem a little small for my first ss. I wouldn't mind a bit more cush.

    Thanks for all of the help and direction and will be sure to post a pic when it arrives.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    Over 1 year later...

    I just picked up my 2013 karate monkey weighed in at 25lbs 13oz
    -18" frame
    -2.4" Ardents, tubeless
    -light wtb seat
    -ergon grips
    -22 tooth cog
    -shimano m520 clips
    Last edited by rdh190; 12-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    708
    Stock build, my 2010 RL MonoCog Flight was just shy of 28lbs. Now it's in the 22-23lb range. I swapped to a Niner fork, NEXT carbon riser bar, Thomson 90mm stem and layback seat post, ZTR Race on AC hubs with Slant6 mounted tubeless, Misfit 21t cog, and a generic Ti railed saddle. I use BB7s with 185/160 rotors. Scoots pretty good now, but I wish I could shave 6lbs off the rider!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob1035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh190 View Post
    Over 1 year later...

    I just picked up my 2013 karate monkey weighed in at 25lbs 13oz
    -18" frame
    -2.4" Ardents, tubeless
    -light wtb seat
    -ergo grips
    -22 tooth cog
    -shimano m540 clips
    Wow, that is surprisingly light! Nice!

Similar Threads

  1. Kona Unit or Surly Karate Monkey?
    By jhaze3 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
  2. Need new bike, karate monkey, salsa fargo, kona unit?
    By lameasswastaken in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 08:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
  4. Karate Monkey worth 50% than a Kona Unit?
    By onkel in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 02:19 AM
  5. Weight of Monkey vs. Kona Unit 29 is....
    By Endoverend! in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 07:10 PM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.