Anyone know anything about Pro Shocks forks.- Mtbr.com
    singlespeed smash brother

Anyone know anything about Pro Shocks forks.

I posted this over in the shocks forum but these seem pretty rare and I remember seeing a ss with them on this forum a while back.
    Looks like a head shock but for regular headtubes. They havn't much info on the site. Anyone ride one?

http://www.actiontec.us/proshock.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinboy
    I posted this over in the shocks forum but these seem pretty rare and I remember seeing a ss with them on this forum a while back.
    Looks like a head shock but for regular headtubes. They havn't much info on the site. Anyone ride one?

http://www.actiontec.us/proshock.htm
    Hi shwinboy,
    theres a discussion in the 29er board,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145244

they've been around quite a while but a low profile. I remember seeing them in MBA mags about the early nineties, precursor to the headshock ( but think they were released about the same time). Can't remember if commitment to a dedicated frame is required, only 60/70 mm travel so might fit in regular frame. But then again cannondale required moving their headtubes upwards with similar travel or was it the different headset?
    oh well....
    The 29er thread seemd to indicate the the actiontec fork is like a soft rigid fork and that the action of a headshock is far superior. Having said that if your looking for the travel and feel from say a fox fork, then the cannondale fork wont even come close. I have and have ridden 70, 80 and 35mm headshocks (35 is for cyclocross frame) and great for smooth xc or all day rides, but dont do it if you're an aggressive rider or jump, pure xc racecourse fork. The compression and rebound adjustments are internal tearpapart only. The headshock is quite reliable, but expensive if you dont look after them. Altering the shimstacks to suit is a demanding and intensive process - no dials to click.
    ray.

ps. did you get your steamroller from BSC? went to too look once more and sold...then you posted yours.... jealous

singlespeed smash brother
    Thanks for the info. Yep I snaffled the BSC steamroller. It just kept looking at me funny so I had to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedray
    Hi shwinboy,
    theres a discussion in the 29er board,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145244

they've been around quite a while but a low profile. I remember seeing them in MBA mags about the early nineties, precursor to the headshock ( but think they were released about the same time). Can't remember if commitment to a dedicated frame is required, only 60/70 mm travel so might fit in regular frame. But then again cannondale required moving their headtubes upwards with similar travel or was it the different headset?
    oh well....
    The 29er thread seemd to indicate the the actiontec fork is like a soft rigid fork and that the action of a headshock is far superior. Having said that if your looking for the travel and feel from say a fox fork, then the cannondale fork wont even come close. I have and have ridden 70, 80 and 35mm headshocks (35 is for cyclocross frame) and great for smooth xc or all day rides, but dont do it if you're an aggressive rider or jump, pure xc racecourse fork. The compression and rebound adjustments are internal tearpapart only. The headshock is quite reliable, but expensive if you dont look after them. Altering the shimstacks to suit is a demanding and intensive process - no dials to click.
    ray.

ps. did you get your steamroller from BSC? went to too look once more and sold...then you posted yours.... jealous

mtbr member
    The Actiontec shock requires a 1-1/4" head tube - not easy to find unless you have a custom frame (steel head tubes are available, $10 from actiontec). Fork is very light, action is stiff and very progressive, tuning is by steel spring length and rate, cross-over tube length (elastomer) and oil. Steering is precise. Works well on a SS. Since they can easily be made to measure, they are available disc and/or canti, and custom a-c, the stock a-c does not allow for a very big tire.

I'm afraid my other pics are lost in the MTBR gallery ether...
    Last edited by itsdoable; 11-21-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Devolution is real!
    I have always had great interest in these forks. I also like headshoks just because they are different. Great post.

try driving your car less
    I have an old frame with a 1 1/4" headtube. it has a hole in it from chainsuck, but if you want it to try the action tec shok thing PM and I can give it to you. you would have to pick it up, or pay for shipping and packing at the LBS.
    Only boring people get bored.

Members who have read this thread: 0