Anyone here ride the Whiskey Off Road?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone here ride the Whiskey Off Road?

So I got roped into riding the WOR this year and I was hoping some of the peeps could answer a couple questions, namely;

What gear did you run? 26 or 29 I am smart enough to do the math.
    Rigid or Sus fork? I have been rigid for about 3 months now and I would like to stay that way if possible.

Trail info, strategy, words of wisdom also welcomed.

mtbr member
    I did it last year. Was pretty green with the SS thing.
    32X20 on a Niner.
    Go out faster than you think or you get bogged down behind geared riders on the early singletrack.
    I should have pushed it harder in the first half. Plenty of time to recover, eat, and drink on the descent into skull valley.
    For reference I think I ended up mid-pack in the SS division, 4hrs27min if I remember correctly.
    Rigid should be fine. Carbon or steel would be ideal to reduce the jeep road buzz.
    Good event all around. I'm hoping to do it again this year and learn form last year's mistakes.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Good stuff idaz. Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Yeah it would be good to see that Coconino of yours in person. I've drooled over that rig a couple of times.
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member

awsome!!!

I have never done the race but I used to live in prescott and have ridden most of the trail. What proof are you riding?? the climb out of skull valley is not the most fun from what i have heard and remember. I would not go with rigid, only for the decent into S.V. When i was ridding the trails in Prescott it was on a cross bike, mostly. I would second what IDaz said and maybe even drop it to a 22 in the back depending on what proof you are riding.. Good luck I wish i was riding it this year, but i can not because of work

mtbr member
    I will be riding the 50, on the Coconino and I think I will be staying with the rigid carbon fork. Can't be any nastier than what I ride here in So. Utah.
    I normally ride a 32x19 but I was thinking I might throw on the 20t because of the distance+elevation gain.
    The more info I get the more excited about it I become. Thanks for the help fellas.

Plus size jersey model
    I am doing the 25 this year and will be running a 32x20 on my 29er. In my opinion the 50 sucks it adds 0 singletrack in that extra 25 miles. You should just save your legs and try and get a ride in on Sunday in Prescott or maybe hit Sedona on your way back. The 25 miler is a blast though.

Members who have read this thread: 0