anyone here done Leadville on a single?- Mtbr.com
    SS Chimp

anyone here done Leadville on a single?

wondering about the gear you were running. headed out there this weekend to pre-ride and see what gear i think i should be running!

dlk
    mtbr member
    May 2004

32x18

Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    wondering about the gear you were running. headed out there this weekend to pre-ride and see what gear i think i should be running!
    I have ridden most of the course on a single running 32x18. I rode a geared bike for the race. There are just way too many flat and slightly downhill sections which makes it frustrating on a single speed.

Have fun.

dlk

mtbr member

How does leadville...

Quote Originally Posted by dlk
    I have ridden most of the course on a single running 32x18. I rode a geared bike for the race. There are just way too many flat and slightly downhill sections which makes it frustrating on a single speed.

Have fun.

dlk
    ...compare to Brian Head?

Was thinking about attempting the Brian Head epic this year on a single, but after talking to another guy who did it I'm not so sure. Sounds like a lot of steep climbs, which means walking/pushing on a SS.

-Trevor

dlk
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    ...compare to Brian Head?

Was thinking about attempting the Brian Head epic this year on a single, but after talking to another guy who did it I'm not so sure. Sounds like a lot of steep climbs, which means walking/pushing on a SS.

-Trevor
    I have not done Brian Head but from what I hear it is more SS friendly than Leadville. Leadville is an out and back course with 5 major climbs St. Kevins (2x), Power Line (2x) and Columbine Mine (1x). St Kevins is short and steep on the way out and long and gradual on the way back. Power Line isnt bad on the way out but next to impossible to clear on the way back. Almost everyone is hiking the steep sections. Columbine is LONG and relatively gradual (10 miles 3000+ vertical feet) until you hit treeline and the last maybe two miles is steep and loose. You could clear this on a geared bike but during the race there is two way traffic and as soon a one person looses traction etc everyone starts to hike.

dlk

SS Chimp

thanks

i have done Leadville twice on a geared rig but i have not ridden my geared bike since last September and i intend to keep it that way. figuring on running a 32 x18 this weekend and run it from town, up columbine and back down to twin lakes. after that i should have a good idea of what to run for the race. hoping i can run a 2:1 or a bit taller to make the flats a bit more enjoyable.

dlk
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think when Matt Chester completed the race a few years ago he ran a 2 to 1 configuration.

mtbr member

Matt's done both Leadville and Brian Head on an SS...

His email is [email protected]. Matt said he won't do Leadville again. It kind of sucks for singlespeeds. You have a mass DOWNHILL start with 600 riders and the SSers soon spin out and find themselves at the back of the pack for the first long climb with nowhere to pass a lot of very slow climbers. Very frustrating. Then there are long flat parts between the climbs. That said, a SSer (Dave Shipley?) once finished in the top 10.

I think when Matt Chester completed the race a few years ago he ran a 2 to 1 configuration.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Durango has a good one also

I plan on doing Durango and Brian Head 34/19
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

leadville and brianhead

done leadville and brianhead multiple times and would NOT recommend leadville on a SS. Brianhead is the perfect 100 for a SS I will be there this year doing it SS. theres only a 10-12 flat dirt road section where you will get spun out in both directions, so 80 mile or so are perfect. Sure, a few short steep climbs but you will be on your bike 99% of the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

BrianHead gearing???

Planning on heading down to BrianHead for the 100 on the SS. Haven't ridden the race before, however I've ridden down there a few times. What kind of gearing did you run? will be on a 29er IF SS - 32/19 or 32/18????? Not looking to win or nothing just want to have a great ride w/ a respectable time. Thanks for the insight

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

brianhead 100

Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Planning on heading down to BrianHead for the 100 on the SS. Haven't ridden the race before, however I've ridden down there a few times. What kind of gearing did you run? will be on a 29er IF SS - 32/19 or 32/18????? Not looking to win or nothing just want to have a great ride w/ a respectable time. Thanks for the insight

Have only done it geared til this year. Acouple guys I talked to last year were on 2:1 gearing. Id say that sounds good. and will be running it as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No way!

I love riding SS, but there is no way you could do Leadville without superhuman strength. There are too many big climbs, separated by long stretches of flats. I don't think you could find a gear that would get you up the hills and let you have enough speed on the flats to finish within the 12 hour time limit.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrider455
    I love riding SS, but there is no way you could do Leadville without superhuman strength. There are too many big climbs, separated by long stretches of flats. I don't think you could find a gear that would get you up the hills and let you have enough speed on the flats to finish within the 12 hour time limit.
    I was passed last year by a SS'er near the end of the race. He was looking
    way strong. I rode a 9:41, so he was quicker than that. For me, slightly easier
    than 2:1, maybe 32:18, would be the trick. I'd lose a decent amount of time on the
    flats, but could make a large percentage of the climbs.

baker
    Last edited by baker; 06-13-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag
    His email is [email protected]. Matt said he won't do Leadville again. It kind of sucks for singlespeeds. You have a mass DOWNHILL start with 600 riders and the SSers soon spin out and find themselves at the back of the pack for the first long climb with nowhere to pass a lot of very slow climbers. Very frustrating. Then there are long flat parts between the climbs. That said, a SSer (Dave Shipley?) once finished in the top 10.
    And Matt has told me Brians Head is great for a SS. The climbs are more gradual and it climbs right from the start.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

SS Chimp
    rode 75 miles of the leadville course this weekend and was about 30 minutes off a 9:00 time running 32x18. i actually found that the section from pan-arc estates to the hatchery (13 miles) on the inbound leg was the only spot where the ss sucked (massive headwind unlike anything i have had on the course before) and actually on the same leg out-bound i was only 4 minutes or so slower than on the geared bike. i figure the start and the 13 mile section above will be the only real bummers and if i run a taller gear they might improve a bit.

have not touched the geared bike since september and don't intend to so leadville on the ss is the only choice.

dlk
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    How was the climb up Columbine? Were you able to clear the top 1-2 miles?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... That was Scott Shipman, first guy to do it on an SS

I think he finished eighth.He's the first guy to do a lot of things on an SS, I think first SS at Creampuff too (Shiggy is that right?), plus the crazy fool did Furnace Creek 508 on a SS road bike. Scott's a lil nuts. ;0)

SS Chimp
    How was the climb up Columbine? Were you able to clear the top 1-2 miles?
    stopped at the old cabins @ 11,500 since you can not climb much of that on race day anyway. i have been in the top 50 the last 2 years at this point and not riding more than 30% of that last 2 miles so figure i will be walking after that and i do not need practice walking

all the climbs ( st.kevins, sugarloaf, columbine ) were fine on the 32x18 and i was actually about 5 minutes faster to the top of sugarloaf on the SS from the start. i might run upwards of 2:1 for the race or i might just leave the 32x18 on and enjoy the race.

Schipperkes are cool.

Not quite...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    I think he finished eighth.He's the first guy to do a lot of things on an SS, I think first SS at Creampuff too (Shiggy is that right?), plus the crazy fool did Furnace Creek 508 on a SS road bike. Scott's a lil nuts. ;0)
    Mike Curiak had already done it twice on an SS before '98. Then Shipman and MC. MC was the first singlespeed at Vail, Laramie, MTB Mania and some others I can't remember. Shipman was first at Cream Puff in '96.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've heard conflicting history accounts

on who was first Curiak or Shipman (not that it matters except for useless information in our heads! Some say that Shipman raced his SS at Leadville a year before Curiak, he just never made it an issue, he just showed up and raced with everyone else.

Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

34x18 in 2002

I rode a 34x18 in 2002. The secret to the start is to bum a few pushes from folks on a geared bike. The downhill start and the flats across the valley are the worst parts on a SS. The hills are fine. I was gearing for the Columbine climb.

Disclaimer: I will never race Leadville on a SS again. (well maybe if I move to altitude) Once was enough to to remind myself that I am still crazy.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Ryder
    Disclaimer: I will never race Leadville on a SS again. (well maybe if I move to altitude) Once was enough to to remind myself that I am still crazy.
    Good luck

haha, i will never race leadville period again. what a lame roadie course. or maybe i'm just mad cuz i got utterly hammered by a bunch geeks who can barely steer a bicycle.

i don't think the gearing matters much. i think scotty shipman just ran 2-1 everywhere no matter what.

btw, scotty was the first 1-speeder to finish the creampuff. i think he was around 15th person to ever finish the creampuff, since only 2 people finished the first year. now chicks do it on 1-speeds.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id