Anyone have suggestions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Anyone have suggestions...

on what I should do to remedy the problem with my new bike. I recently got the spot belt drive at a pretty decent price but I have had the belt come off 2 times now on rides. The first time I brought it back to the LBS and they had an engineer from Spot come and show them how to put it on correctly at the right tension. Tonight it came off again while climbing, after it had been installed properly by the trained "professionals".

So I am wondering if it is a problem with the QR and tugnuts. They are the spot brand and don't look like they are as beefy as surly's and have 2 smaller bolts as opposed to 1 bigger bolt to tighten them down.

This is my first "real" SS and I have never had horizontal drops so I am pretty new. Should I get different tugnuts or a bolt down skewer?

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No. If you just bought a bike, especially something new, it should function properly. You should not have to bandaid something new. Have them come back and include it in their 2.0.

-Rob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So after bringing it back to the shop and having them look at the bike, they called spot and found out the rear hub had been machined improperly in Taiwan. There is a C clamp and it is 2 millimeters too wide and it is being ground down while being ridden which changes the line of the belt and caused it to come off.

Spot is sending a new wheel and I am getting surly tugnuts instead of spots(which were bent)

Members who have read this thread: 0