Anyone have the same problem with their Unit?- Mtbr.com
    uh, or something!

Anyone have the same problem with their Unit?

Anyone have the same problem with their Unit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took my Unit 26" to my trusted local shop to simply have the rear freewheel changed to an easier gear plus a chain upgrade. They noticed that the rear triangle was misaligned by about 5mm and coldset the frame back into alignment almost perfect but the chain line was still significantly off. The only fix that they could come up with was to switch the BB to a 118mm from 113mm to get the chain to align. The only problem now is that the crank arms appear to be visibly far away from the chain stays and the Q factor seems off - (grant peterson would flip over this!)

Anyone have experience with this chain line problem on their unit ? Should I care about the increased Q factor ?

Another buddy of mine that ownes a shop that use to carry Kona mentioned that frame ilignment issues were common with Kona and they dropped the line.

I also posted this thread on the Kona Mfg. site...Appreciate your advise/comments!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

me too - :-)

I ordered a 29 unit frame that also exhibited the same problem. The rear-sub frame was not square with the rest of the frame. This meant that the bottom bracket was not parallel with the rear axle when one looked at the frame from the rear.

I sent the frame back. Sounds like you should too. Kona needs to improve their QA (as this was the second 29 unit frame that I returned - the first one had paint problems). And this is from a loyal Kona buyer (I also have a Unit 26 and a JTS - and *very* happy with both).

Cheers,

Mark -%)

mtbr member
    I havenít had that problem, but I did see a frame in the shop where half the weld bead was missing from the down tube gusset. Iím a loyal Kona buyer myself and I hope they QA improves.

mtbr member
    Please dont ell me they used the PARK Crows foot to come to this assumption ???

These tools DO NOT WORK for measuring frame alignment .

Did you ask the shop if they measured the frame with the rear wheel in or without ?
    Or possibly both ?? Double checked with another real wheel to make sure your rear axle dindt cold se thte frame either ??

Far too many vaiables for that simple tool to give you a 100% correct answer .

As a frame builder I dont use thoes blasted things all they do is give the customer a flase sense of their frame being off .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SScheetz
    I havenít had that problem, but I did see a frame in the shop where half the weld bead was missing from the down tube gusset. Iím a loyal Kona buyer myself and I hope they QA improves.
    If you are referring to a bead from side-to-side at the end of the gusset, there should not be a weld there. Would create a weak spot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you are referring to a bead from side-to-side at the end of the gusset, there should not be a weld there. Would create a weak spot.
    No, not there. I'm referring to the bead along the down tube on the left side. The frame was painted, bike assembled and shipped.

Members who have read this thread: 0