Dinner for wolves

Anyone have experience with microdrive (e.g. 24:14)?

I have tried to get info on using a microdrive set-up for SS MTB...not a lot out there. Does anybody have some real world experience with these set-ups for MTB? Lots of opinions out there, but I am hoping to find some folks who actually have used microdrive. I was considering a 24T chainring mated to a 14T SS cog (Surly) on a Hope SS hub. Thanks.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No direct experience. But, I did recently research using BMX cranks and a microdrive setup on my bike. So, I'll throw in my 2 cents...

The main thing that turned me off the idea was the higher wear rate of the microdrive setup. I didn't want to have to replace chainrings and cogs more frequently than I already had to.

A lesser issue, at least in my opinion, since I don't need to use a tensioner, is less chain wrap.

Surly had a nice writeup on their blog about the cons of the microdrive setup. Check it out.

Steve

mtbr member

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    Solid advice, that.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    MTBR user mattkock uses a micro drive on his superlight Niner. You might ask him.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    That blog post really ought to be a sticky on this forum.

Dinner for wolves
    @Grampbedo - Ah yes. I had forgotten about that Surly Spew. I read it years ago, but apparently forgot the lesson.

@asphaltdude - Good lead. I'll pick his brain.

Thanks gentlemen.
    Responds to gravity

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i've done down to a 28t with no noticable issues. You gain a decent amount of clearance just dropping that much. Kinda handy on 29ers if you don't dig having a dinner plate on the back.
    But yea, in theory, slightly bigger is better, but maybe you don't care all that much about losing a little longevity if that extra clearance gets you over that obstical.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i've done down to a 28t with no noticable issues. You gain a decent amount of clearance just dropping that much. Kinda handy on 29ers if you don't dig having a dinner plate on the back.
    But yea, in theory, slightly bigger is better, but maybe you don't care all that much about losing a little longevity if that extra clearance gets you over that obstical.
    ISAR, you're just the man I wanted to talk to. Have you ever made a 24 or 26T splined chainring for the Middleburn RS7? And I agree - I went from 34:21 to 30:18 in order to use a WI Trials freewheel. I love the set up. It's gotten my juices flowing about a 24:14. I imagine there is an absurd point where microdrive is a pure hazard. Hopefully 24:14 ain't it.
    Responds to gravity

Members who have read this thread: 0