Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS? - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here are some pictures of the modified Redline tensioners on my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg  

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg  

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Those look just like mine ('cept mine's black),and I see how you modded em,thanks I'm not needing them now (and since I'm fixing to swap everything onto an On One frame,I may not be),but nice to know how to do it if that were to change
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Here's a better shot of my G29 sportin the new color out on Hawes loop last Friday around 5:30am.
    I'll have to take a pic of my simple but reliable tensioner tonight and post it up.

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-7-19-green-bike.jpg
    I need to ride more...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Lookin GOOD
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone done the gorilla tape "ghetto" tubeless on the stock g29 wheels and tires?? If so, please post. I need to try it. I get a flat every week I ride here in TX.

Pesky thorns!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannah View Post
    Has anyone done the gorilla tape "ghetto" tubeless on the stock g29 wheels and tires?? If so, please post. I need to try it. I get a flat every week I ride here in TX.

Pesky thorns!!!
    Yep! The 1" gorilla tape fits perfectly. Google it its all over the place.

I used Gorilla Tape, Stan's and I also changed my tires to Nobby Nic performance for a bit more volume, but the stock WTBs would probably work fine too.

I inflated em using only a floor pump. Just use the soapy water and you should be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What's the soapy water for? Little confused.... To look for leaks?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Origin 8 chain tensioners

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1937 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	819678

Here's some pictures of my new origin 8 chain tensioners..

Just FYI, in case you wanted to see them on. They seem to work perfectly. I wasn't sure if anyone else had posted picks.

It should be noted that my bike arrived (july 2013) with a 2nd pair of tensioners that looked just like these but in black.. I only used them because I ordered them before I got the bike and I thought they looked a little better....

Next up.. Some really wiiide bars (I'm 6"3)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What's the soapy water for? Little confused.... To look for leaks?

Thanks!!

It helps make the seal airtight since the liquid kinda fills in the cracks... it also lubricates the tire a little so as it inflates it slides into position more easily. I couldn't get the tire to infate/bead to seat without it. And yes it also bubbles once inflated to show leaks.

Also I'm not sure tubeless will help with thorns it is more for pinch flats/riding at lower pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TManiac View Post
    It helps make the seal airtight since the liquid kinda fills in the cracks... it also lubricates the tire a little so as it inflates it slides into position more easily. I couldn't get the tire to infate/bead to seat without it. And yes it also bubbles once inflated to show leaks.

Also I'm not sure tubeless will help with thorns it is more for pinch flats/riding at lower pressure.
    Could you please describe the soapy water process in detail? I still don't get it...

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Pesky thorns!!!
    I did the ghetto tubeless method of using a 24" tube split down the middle with the stock wheels and tires. Its been working great. I've heard good things about the gorilla tape method as well. And the soapy water is a very important step. It will help the tire seat, and also show any leaks. One thing I found was after adding the stans, pump the tires to 40psi before you begin the shake process. If you do less pressure, it doesn't seem to work as well. Once you are sure there are no more leaks, then you can lower your pressure down to the low 20's.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	819678Click image for larger version. 

ID:	819678

Here's some pictures of my new origin 8 chain tensioners..

Just FYI, in case you wanted to see them on. They seem to work perfectly. I wasn't sure if anyone else had posted picks.

It should be noted that my bike arrived (july 2013) with a 2nd pair of tensioners that looked just like these but in black.. I only used them because I ordered them before I got the bike and I thought they looked a little better....

Next up.. Some really wiiide bars (I'm 6"3)
    Thanks for the pics
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Could you please describe the soapy water process in detail? I still don't get it...

Thanks in advance!!
    Check out the video/instructions on the Stan's site.

TMANIAC

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got it. So... One option is to use a 24 inch tube... Assuming that will work on a 29'er? Sounds like it from the post above. I'm gonna try the gorilla tape method 1st... If that fails... Try the tube... Tube spounds like a cheaper method though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There are plenty of youtube videos for both methods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I tested out a 29.1 at the store today, 17.5" frame, was very comfortable after a little seat adjustment. I decided to order the G29 in a 17.5" frame as well. If it doesn't work out they'll just order the 19" for me. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
    6'2, 33" inseam.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by domoMKIV View Post
    I tested out a 29.1 at the store today, 17.5" frame, was very comfortable after a little seat adjustment. I decided to order the G29 in a 17.5" frame as well. If it doesn't work out they'll just order the 19" for me. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
    6'2, 33" inseam.
    Cool,can't wait to see pics
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member

Pesky thorns!!!
    Yep! The 1" gorilla tape fits perfectly. Google it its all over the place.

I used Gorilla Tape, Stan's and I also changed my tires to Nobby Nic performance for a bit more volume, but the stock WTBs would probably work fine too.

I inflated em using only a floor pump. Just use the soapy water and you should be good.

I use the 1" gorilla tape, Stans sealant, and happen to be running Nobby Nics as well but ran the stock tires tubeless for a while too.

I have only used the soapy water on tires that were difficult to seat and it does help.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Came -- did you use stans valve? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cheapest method/method I used that hasn't failed me yet (FYI I used the stock rims/tires):

use 1" gorilla tape with 1 layer on the rim. Press it down really nicely with a tire lever to get a good seal.

The cut the presta valves out of a set of tubes. I used presta because the treaded stem and nut help hold the valve in place when initially doing the set up.

Soap up the beads and make sure it will seal WITHOUT stan's in it (worked fine for me with the stock tires, but took a bit). Air will leak out, but you should hear the beads pop onto the rim.

If it's good, then pop the bead off, add stan's, seal it up, and do the shake, rattle, roll. Mine completely sealed in about 5 minutes and haven't leaked in 3 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For those that put a suspension fork on one of these:

Does it work OK? The axle to crown on the stock fork looks to be ~438mm. I was thinking of putting an X Fusion slide on but even on the 80mm it'll be at least 470mm A-C.

Is that enough to screw up the geometry? What about if it were ~486mm A-C (100mm setting)?

mtbr member
    Came -- did you use stans valve? Thanks!

Yup, those things are great at lower pressure. I had trouble with them at 110psi on my road bike though. Also, I had to double layer the gorilla tape to get the tires to seat easily. this was before I tried the soapy water though. Like ehwik, I air them up without Stans 1st to make sure it seats well. Then either pop a bead to add sealer or use a piece of hose between the Stans bottle and the de-cored valve stem.
    I need to ride more...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by TManiac View Post
    For those that put a suspension fork on one of these:

Does it work OK? The axle to crown on the stock fork looks to be ~438mm. I was thinking of putting an X Fusion slide on but even on the 80mm it'll be at least 470mm A-C.

Is that enough to screw up the geometry? What about if it were ~486mm A-C (100mm setting)?
    Works fine on mine ( 80mm Manitou Drake)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    Cool,can't wait to see pics
    Waiting....very impatiently.
    Guy said Friday, I am hoping it will be ready a day early.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Sweet,that's tomorrow!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Having a small vibration / wobble between the headset and fork/ front wheel.... Not a big deal, by any means... Being very nitpicky here...since nothing else to complain about... But a stickler for everything being rock solid. Anyone know how to tighten up the neck / stem / bearings? Haven't tried taking anything apart yet.. Or, is this just how it is?

nothing to see here
    Having a small vibration / wobble between the headset and fork/ front wheel.... Not a big deal, by any means... Being very nitpicky here...since nothing else to complain about... But a stickler for everything being rock solid. Anyone know how to tighten up the neck / stem / bearings? Haven't tried taking anything apart yet.. Or, is this just how it is?
    Loosen the two stem bolts and the stem cap bolt. Move the stem to make sure it's loose. Lift & support the bike from below the fork crown, so the weight of the frame and bars is pushing down. Give it a little wiggle with your other hand on the stem to make sure everything's seated properly, then tighten the stem cap bolt, without going too tight (you risk damaging the star nut in the steerer). Place the bike back on the ground and straighten the stem and tighten the stem bolts. Ride.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You can even back the top cap bolt out a quarter turn as it's not supposed to hold the fork on once the stem is tightened.

I am almost done. I really don't get out on the single track stuff as much as I used to so I built my G29er into a Big Ripper. It was a lot more affordable to do the conversion then to find a nice used Ripper and put disc brakes on it. Pics are quick garage pics. The bike looks great out in the sun. The Schwalbe Big apples in the 2.35" width are great.

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-imag1545.1.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-imag1546.1.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-imag1547.1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Oh BTW, I have all of the stock take off parts if anybody wants to buy some back up parts.

Bike for the heck of it!
    @200Duece: sweet ride!!! And you made my weekend by letting me know 2.35" Schwalbe tires fit. Those are ones I've been eyeing,...
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sweet,that's tomorrow!
    Guess not. Looking like MAYBE Monday. Ugh.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Damn..I'm sorry,Brother
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Loosen the two stem bolts and the stem cap bolt. Move the stem to make sure it's loose. Lift & support the bike from below the fork crown, so the weight of the frame and bars is pushing down. Give it a little wiggle with your other hand on the stem to make sure everything's seated properly, then tighten the stem cap bolt, without going too tight (you risk damaging the star nut in the steerer). Place the bike back on the ground and straighten the stem and tighten the stem bolts. Ride.
    Ughhh not sure what bolt is what there...video would be great because I would like to know how to do that for future knowledge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go to Park Tool website. There is a lot great information there that should help you understand.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Dropped mine off at the LBS (since I don't have all the needed tools to swap all parts from one frame to the next) today,having it's stock HS and rigid fork reinstalled on it,and all other parts onto an On One Inbred frame. I'll either as-cash-allows build it back up (and convert the Inbred to a 1x10 or similar) and get back to having both a gearie and a SS,or I may sell the frame/fork/HS (it has one or two scratches from the rack only so far)...I dunno.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by domoMKIV View Post
    Guess not. Looking like MAYBE Monday. Ugh.
    Still nothing.
    Is it possible to go 1x10(or 9) on the SS? I was looking at the 29.1 for the same thing. At least the 29.1 is in stock and I wouldn't have to wait around to ride anymore.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Man,I hope you get it soon!

I don't see much way to run gears on it...I mean with enough "wants to",you can do almost anything,but it just wasn't designed to be converted. Anyone?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Doesn't look like the dropouts can accept a chain-tug with integrated derailleur hanger, but maybe one of these would work?

Amazon.com: SunRace Shimano Compatible Index Hanger Plate with Nut and Bolt: Sports & Outdoors
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Man,I hope you get it soon!

I don't see much way to run gears on it...I mean with enough "wants to",you can do almost anything,but it just wasn't designed to be converted. Anyone?
    I'm guessing it would be easier to go 1x9 with the .1 than it would with the G29 (if at all possible)? Bike still hasn't come in so I was planning on going to the bike shop and possibly cancelling the order. I want to ride NOW, damnit. lol

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    LOL,I feel ya :P
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    LOL,I feel ya :P
    Well I went into the bike shop to inquire about my G29SS and I found out that the bike was on backorder. One of the guys was supposed to call me but he didn't. I went ahead and ordered the 29point1. Got it OTD for $490 with lifetime tune-ups/labor. Not bad at all considering if I had ordered it online I would have paid about $445 (tax since im in FL). Now hopefully this one actually arrives and I can start riding with my son again next week! lol

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Dang man...I hope this one actually comes to you,and fast,missing rides with th eboy sucks (trust me I know on that one)...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got it today. Took it for a spin before it rained, so far so good! It feels a lot lighter than I expected it to be. I guess I should move over to the 29.1 thread now, lol.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Nice Looking forward to pics

FINALLY got the Inbred built up...
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-12.jpg

SO I gots a frame/HS/fork,bar/stem,seat and post with collar left of the G29,guess I'll sell those off (as well as some radio control stuffs) to help finance some fresh camping gear (yes,I mean bike-camping ) since most of my gear was from '99 or so
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

DFMBA.org
    I've been lurking this thread for awhile and I'm probably going to purchase a G29 as a 2nd bike in the next month or so. My question, being my first SS is how long can I expect the drive train to last before I have to replace the chain, cog, chain ring, et. al? I ride rocky, mountainous Arizona singletrack almost exclusively and the climbing stress and dusty desert climate take a toll on drive trains. I know this question is a bit ambiguous but if anyone has serviced theirs in a certain geography, it may give me an indication on service interval.

Also, does anyone know how wide the stock handlebars are on the 19"?

Edit: One more thing...I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if it's been answered, but is someone running a 2.35" or larger on the stock front? Thanks.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just put my 15.5" together this evening! I'm 5'8, 29" inseam and the fit seems pretty good to me. I am anxious to get it on the trail!

Initial impressions:
    - The factory fit of the fork in the headset seemed to be on the loose side; I took it apart by whacking the fork with my fist
    - I removed the headset bearings, cleaned, and re-greased using Park Tool PPL-1
    - Initial bed-in of the brakes (same method used for cars) seems to have really worked wonders on the pads, at least on asphalt
    - Chain tension seemed fine to me. If I swap the rear cog, I'll get the Redlines.
    - Front brake wasn't fully fastened to the fork and rubbed the disc (my fault for not checking properly)
    - Wheels were true, rear has a slight imbalance, probably due to the reflector
    - A lot lighter than my 15 year-old Mongoose Cro-moly that I bought in middle school
    - Grips are on way too tight and I'll need shop air and a nozzle to get them off and replace with my set of ODIs
    - Stem is a little on the heavy side, but that's to be expected
    - It's orange

Overall, this bike went together great and I'm very happy with it as of right now. If I crash on the trail due to the bike, I'll repost otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I've been lurking this thread for awhile and I'm probably going to purchase a G29 as a 2nd bike in the next month or so. My question, being my first SS is how long can I expect the drive train to last before I have to replace the chain, cog, chain ring, et. al? I ride rocky, mountainous Arizona singletrack almost exclusively and the climbing stress and dusty desert climate take a toll on drive trains. I know this question is a bit ambiguous but if anyone has serviced theirs in a certain geography, it may give me an indication on service interval.
    It depends on the wear; mud and dirt will accelerate wear. Cogs and chains are cheap. Chain rings aren't too bad. I'd expect to get a few years out of it if you ride a few times a week and keep it clean and lubed. It will be the same for most bikes, I imagine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just bought this bike locally off Craigslist and I really like it. Simple to ride and easy to work on. Might swap out the bars for a little more rise. Swapped out my Brooks seat on a Uni seat post the seller gave me. Fun for easy desert trail rides.

***** lurker

new G29 owner

I've been lurking in this thread for the last couple months & finally decided to order a Gravity G29. I probably would have never even considered a Gravity bike had it not been for this thread.

I had my heart set on a G29 (rigid) in an orange 15.5" (saving the $50 from the G29FS for a 'real' fork later down the road). However, BikeIsland had a scratch-and-scuff G29FS in my size, but in green. Not the color I originally wanted but I just couldn't pass it up for $329.

The stock pictures of the gawdy-green G29 just doesn't do it any justice at all... it actually looks great in real life!

I wrenched it together yesterday & weighed it in at just under 31lbs. I picked up a Reba RL last nite off of Craigslist for $190 & today I swapped some of the stock parts w/ spares I had in my spare parts bin. I was able to bring the weight down to a little over 28lbs which is actually a light bike for me since I'm used to pedaling around on my 32lb 2011 Giant Reign.

I can't wait to get it out on the trails to break her in!

Still in the box:

Box contents:

Wheels:

Frame:

Stock build (w/ exception to the pedals):

Upgraded (looks flourescent green, but it's more like the "Kawasaki" green like pics above):

Last edited by cfanto; 09-26-2013 at 06:07 PM.

***** lurker

Gravity G29 chain tugs v2?

I remember complaints folks had about the stock chain-tugs.
    Looks like they've since redesigned their chain-tugs.
    They seem pretty beefy & look/work fine to me.

Attachment 834962

Attachment 834963

Attachment 834964

Attachment 834965

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    I remember complaints folks had about the stock chain-tugs.
    Looks like they've since redesigned their chain-tugs.
    They seem pretty beefy & look/work fine to me.

Attachment 834962

Attachment 834963

Attachment 834964

Attachment 834965
    hese are the ones that came with my Gravity 27Five SS. They work perfect and since I replaced the bent ones that came on the bike I haven't had a problem. Congratulations on your new bike and enjoy it.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Nice (LOVE the green too)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

***** lurker
    Hey CAMEKANIX,

I'm planning to eventually do the gorilla tape tubeless as well...

Did the Stans presta valves work in the Schrader holes without any type of adapter? Or did you have to use a Schrader-to-Presta grommet/adapter on the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by camekanix View Post
    I am still running the stock wheels. other than having ti tighten/true a couple times they seem fine. I used gorilla tape & Stans valve stems with Stans sealer. Took 20 min and so far so good. The only upgrades I can imagine wanting to do next are another 200mm brake kit for the rear, an external bearing bottom bracket, and a carbon fork.

***** lurker
    Thanks longhaultrucker... the flourescent gawdy-green pic that BikesDirect had on their site wasn't great. I'm actually quite pleased with the color... it's actually more of a 'Kawasaki green' color.

Nice (LOVE the green too)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I guess this is a good enough first post, but I was curious if anyone who upgraded there fork still had the original that they wanted to sell. Thanks

***** lurker
    I assume you're talking about the steel rigid fork? Otherwise, I have the original Suntour XCT suspension fork that came on my G29 FS with zero miles, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by highboy_04 View Post
    I guess this is a good enough first post, but I was curious if anyone who upgraded there fork still had the original that they wanted to sell. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry I should have been more specific with that. Yes I'm talking about the steel rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Wow i havent been on here in awhile and there has been alot of activity on this thread! My G29 is still going strong since i ordered it in January. All the same as it was when i took it out of the box besides a bottle cage. This bike just fits me really well and has held up great for what i do!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Been a while for me too...but I thought I'd check in at the year mark.

I hate this thing. I wish I never bought it. I wish I knew better.

That being said, it got me into the sport, taught me a lot of valuable lessons and I'm better for it so I guess I can't say I wish I never bought it. Some things you just have to do and mess up and learn from it.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Been a while for me too...but I thought I'd check in at the year mark.

I hate this thing. I wish I never bought it. I wish I knew better.

That being said, it got me into the sport, taught me a lot of valuable lessons and I'm better for it so I guess I can't say I wish I never bought it. Some things you just have to do and mess up and learn from it.
    Good it got you into the sport, but what do you hate about it?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well for starters, it got me into the sport, so I didn't know as much as I do know. I was a noob.

For instance, it doesn't come with a tug-nut type device to keep the wheel from sliding in the dropout. This caused two things:

1. the tire rubbed and wore down the finish inside the triangle.
    2. to fix this i really really cranked down on the axle nuts which in turn as warped the rear triangle. in order to change the wheels or change a tire, we had to pull the triangle apart to slip the wheel out (very frustrating trying to change a flat on the trail and the wheel won't come out or go back in). so now, when i'm really pedaling hard, the triangle flexes and there is tire rub. It's aluminium and the drop outs are aluminum so it's pretty weak compared to steel. no one, including the bike shop i went to quite often, told me i needed this or it would help. so that sucked.

the crank arm stripped in 3 rides. bikes direct wouldn't cover this because it was "user error" but i'm nearly 100% sure i did everything right. i greased it and everything, knowing it was not going to be covered if i botched it.

the wheels get banged out of true every two rides. so much so that i avoided technical sections of trail like the plague because i was sick of trying to true it myself or paying for it to get trued. it isn't 100% needed to have it 100% trued with disc brakes but it affected the ride they got so wobbley.

i used black vinyl (had the matte black finish bike) to cover up the 100 instances of gravity painted on the bike.

the brakes are barely adequate. i upgraded those first.

stock bars are too narrow for my single speeding preference.

gear ratio is too tough for the hills in my neck of the woods. changed the cog and started clearing way more climbs.

bottom bracket started squawking pretty quickly.

obviously the sr suntour fork is heavy and bad.

here is everything i upgraded:

rear cog to a more manageable ratio
    wheelset and tires
    bars and stem
    front and rear brakes and levers
    fork (sr suntour exchange program)

i'm currently trying to put everything back together stock and sell it on craigslist for as much as i can get for it...likely only a sac of peanuts...putting all the upgraded parts on a steel frame i got for free.

hope that helps. when all is said and done, maybe learning from my mistakes or just having more knowledge than i had to start with, you may have a better experience.

in my inexperience i also bought it at least a size too big so that really affected me too. (i had a 26er that was a 21 inch frame so i figured just get a 21 inch frame not factoring in the increased wheel size...very stupid mistake)

it may be perfectly fine for what you want.

oh one more thing...buying from a LBS you get included maitenence most likely for at least a year, hopefully more. no such support when buying from an online dealer.

so when all is said and done, i would have saved so much more money had a bought a trek marlin (trek also lifetime warranties their frames) for 150 dollars more from the lbs than saving the 150 up front and then paying for fixes and upgrades.

easily one of the biggest learning experiences of my life. some things, you just need to spend the money on. it'll be worth it in the long haul. live and learn.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the update, yes sometimes learning is costly. I've had a couple SS and currently riding my Nashbar 29er SS, I researched lots and glad I went with it instead of Bikes Direct due to much of what you stated. First real bike should always be bought at local LBS, but you have to figure out which is best store, bike, deal etc. You're on the right track, learn and move forward...ride on!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

My new ride

My new Gravity G29FS. I changed the tires to WTB 2.2 Slicks and the chainring to a FSA 42t. I love it. Riding to work has never been so much fun or comfortable.

Bikes Direct has a store here, so I got it assembled with a warranty. I took it over to my neighborhood LBS and they went over it pretty good. They made sure everything was lubricated properly and did some major tweeking on the brakes.

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0417.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0418.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0419.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0420.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0421.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0422.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0423.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo0424.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I tried to get more info by reading every page but I'm running out of time so I just decided to join and post!

I was reading about how bikesdirect geometry is off on their website, is that still the case? I'm just half inch under 6' all, my inseam is about 32'', and I was thinking the 19'' size would probably be right but not if the specs are wrong on the site. They are low stock I guess and I need to pull the trigger before its too late!!

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob8619 View Post
    I tried to get more info by reading every page but I'm running out of time so I just decided to join and post!

I was reading about how bikesdirect geometry is off on their website, is that still the case? I'm just half inch under 6' all, my inseam is about 32'', and I was thinking the 19'' size would probably be right but not if the specs are wrong on the site. They are low stock I guess and I need to pull the trigger before its too late!!

Thanks guys.
    I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. I went with the 17.5" and could have been fine on a 15.5". The 19" would have been too big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oh man that throws a wrench into things then.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    my significant other is 5'10" with a 32" inseam and has the 17", but definitely wishes she had gone with the 19".

mtbr member
    Awesome bike! I have been riding my Gravity G29 S.S. for well over a year now. Solid bike no issues. I just changed out the pedals, seat, and the gearing. Such a good bike I decided to buy their 27.5 single speed in hopes to climb technical trails better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
    You can even back the top cap bolt out a quarter turn as it's not supposed to hold the fork on once the stem is tightened.

I am almost done. I really don't get out on the single track stuff as much as I used to so I built my G29er into a Big Ripper. It was a lot more affordable to do the conversion then to find a nice used Ripper and put disc brakes on it. Pics are quick garage pics. The bike looks great out in the sun. The Schwalbe Big apples in the 2.35" width are great.

Name:	IMAG1545.1.jpg 
Views:	2968 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	821426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1546.1.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	821427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1547.1.jpg 
Views:	932 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	821428
    my first post here and its a question.

i recently got the itch to ride since my kids old enough, i havent ridden since i was 13 (15 years ago). took my kid out and borrowed my dads crappy $150 toysrus mongoos mtn bike. i enjoyed riding but hated the suspension and gears, so here i am wanting to buy a Gravity SS 29er. Coming from BMX bikes as a kid, i want the handle bars. i was looking at the big ripper, but i dont want to spend that much.

my question, how do i swap over bmx bars like these? what would i need or does someone make bars for mtn bikes like this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have some BMX low-rise bars I put on mine. they're made by redline, I forget the model. I had to buy a new stem to fit it, though, but that wasn't any great loss. naturaly I used a bmx stem. I also took the time to get a top-cap and star nut that allows me to run my brake cable through the head-tube to allow for bar-spins, like so :

Name:  kdk_0794.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  kdk_0796.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  56.3 KB

I'm happy with it. I, like you, purchased this bike almost strictly for BMX nostalgia. it's been great to me :-D

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tockit View Post
    I have some BMX low-rise bars I put on mine. they're made by redline, I forget the model. I had to buy a new stem to fit it, though, but that wasn't any great loss. naturaly I used a bmx stem. I also took the time to get a top-cap and star nut that allows me to run my brake cable through the head-tube to allow for bar-spins, like so :

Name:  kdk_0794.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  kdk_0796.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  56.3 KB

I'm happy with it. I, like you, purchased this bike almost strictly for BMX nostalgia. it's been great to me :-D
    sweet! thats exactly what i was looking to do. hell, im not beyond getting some pegs too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haha I've been debating pegs myself over the last few weeks. I wonder if the axle could handle it, does anyone have any thoughts on that?
    an axle is an axle, right? my understanding takes me to the idea that it's a standard size, but I haven't had a BMX since I was 15. guess I'll get some pegs and see if they fit.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by tominjax View Post
    I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. I went with the 17.5" and could have been fine on a 15.5". The 19" would have been too big.
    On the other side of that coin,I'm 5'9" with 32" inseam,had the 17.5",and could have easily been comfy on the 19"....weird,huh? :P
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Hey CAMEKANIX,

I'm planning to eventually do the gorilla tape tubeless as well...

Did the Stans presta valves work in the Schrader holes without any type of adapter? Or did you have to use a Schrader-to-Presta grommet/adapter on the rim?
    Sorry to have been away so long, life got pretty busy I guess. I'm guessing this too little too late but yes, the Stans stems work just fine with the schrader valve wheels with no modifications. I am going on a year now with this set-up and other than adding a few oz's of sealer every few months I have had no problems at all.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-tensioner.jpg

Also, there was some stuff quite a while back about different tensioner arrangements. this is simple and also has been dead reliable.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Name:	Tensioner.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	860065

Also, there was some stuff quite a while back about different tensioner arrangements. this is simple and also has been dead reliable.
    I bought some bolts to create a tensioner system like you have pictured. The only issue I see is that if you have to remove the rear wheel out on the trail, you have to unscrew those bolts so you can slide the wheel forward to get the chain off. Once you've unscrewed the bolts, now you have to tighten them back down evenly, so the wheel runs straight. That's not something I want to mess with when changing a flat out on the trail. I like this system as it looks much cleaner, but it just wasn't worth the hassle. I went with the Redline tensioners and that works much better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Don't know if you guys are still keeping this thread going...but...This build is very similar to what I am working on and I am debating this Gravity Unbranded Frame as well...what size is your frame and is that the stock cro-mo fork that would come with the frame....and,,,do experience any foot rub on the front tire when you ride? Cool build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    [ 'm happy with it. I, like you, purchased this bike almost strictly for BMX nostalgia. it's been great to me :-D

Anyway...I tried to respond but being new to this site my response looks like a fish out of water....what frame size is your bike? Is that the stock fork that would be the mate to the frame? and....have you experienced any foot rub on the front tire....cool bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ordered an orange 15" on thursday morning, arrived today (friday). havent gotten to ride it and the front brake needs to be adjusted, but i really like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

me too...

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
    ordered an orange 15" on thursday morning, arrived today (friday). havent gotten to ride it and the front brake needs to be adjusted, but i really like it.
    I bit the bullet and ordered just the frame yesterday- I really could not find a better deal on anything else for a frame / fork combo- plus EVERYTHING will transfer from my current bike including the post and clamp...I will try to post some pics when it gets done- it's a giant retro looking bmxer...looking forward to riding it- I havent heard really anything that was negative enough to make me not buy it. I looked into the Sette and a couple others but couldn't get past all of the overly negative comments like bottom bracket flex and cracked headtube etc...oh well...we will see. Let me know what you think!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chowiec View Post
    I bit the bullet and ordered just the frame yesterday- I really could not find a better deal on anything else for a frame / fork combo- plus EVERYTHING will transfer from my current bike including the post and clamp...I will try to post some pics when it gets done- it's a giant retro looking bmxer...looking forward to riding it- I havent heard really anything that was negative enough to make me not buy it. I looked into the Sette and a couple others but couldn't get past all of the overly negative comments like bottom bracket flex and cracked headtube etc...oh well...we will see. Let me know what you think!
    i installed a tow hitch on my suv today in preparation for my 4 bike yakima hitch racks arrival. when i was done i had a few minutes to ride the culdesac with my kid before i had to leave for work. i adjusted the front brake and it rode great. i had an issue that others mentioned with my foot rubbing the front wheel. but its not an extreme issue, and others have fixed this with fork upgrades.

prolly gonna take it to the park and geocache tomorrow with my kid.

anyone know how i would mount a kickstand to this thing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

went geocaching with mt kid and grandma and grandpa. i really need a kickstand for geocaching.

all in all it was a great ride, my ass hurts and i may need a new seat. def a kickstand though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-1604933_10202123545841612_564179097_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Looks good- I just got mine built.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero View Post
    I will send pics of mine soon- I built it up from a frame and fork. I am having trouble adjusting the headset properly, it has some rock on the bottom, I plan to replace it asap and I want to cut about 15mm off the fork- it didnt come precut. I didnt want to chop it until I ride it which we have had snow for the past week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-gravity29.jpg

Arrived a few days ago... shame the 17.5 is too small for me. Selling in Baltimore if anybody is interested-- you can find it on Craigslist or PM me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ordered an orange gravity 29er 17.5" on Friday and should be here Wednesday. I will post pics as i go through the assembly process. Will likely re grease the hubs and headset during assembly. But we'll see how its put together. First time ordering a bike through the mail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I know this bike is a single speed and all, but does anyone know if a chain tug with a derailleur hanger would work on this frame? The nashbar ss has one, and I've seen people convert those to 1x9 set ups, and I was thinking of doing that with the gravity bike. There was one quick mention of this a few pages back, but I doesn't look Like anyone ended up doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    First post here I come from a bmx background (still ride). I ordered a gravity 21" black with the front suspension on Monday and it's scheduled to show up today. Thanks to this thread I already have new bars, stem, grips, seat clamp, and tensioners on the way. I live in a rural part of Missouri with plenty of conservation area all around me and can't wait to hit the trails. Thanks for all the helpful info guys and I'll be sure to post pictures when I can. Here's a link to vital where I have a bike check of my current bmx since I can't upload pictures here haha
    Mother ****in FBM- FINAL UPDATE I SWEAR 2/5 - Bike Checks - BMX Forums / Message Boards - Vital BMX

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just got mine yesterday. Put it together last night. It went together very easily and seems well built. Brakes were easy to adjust and the chain needed loosened up a bit. I'm glad I went with the 17.5 as the 19" would have been too big. Just took it out for a moment and it feels great. Will get it out more this weekend, but I already love it.
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just got mine in today, took me about an hour and a hald to put it all together and make adjustments.

At just under 6'3", I thought the 21" frame would be a good fit, but standing over the bike leaves the two colonels uncomfortably resting right on top of the top tube; I probably should have gone for the 19" frame instead.

However once I started to ride the bike, and remembered to swing my leg around the back to get off, I found myself really enjoying it! The feel of the bike is a sensation that I've never felt on bikes I've ridden in the past. I live in a town with lots of hills so I was able to do some climb tests and compare to my experiences on bmx and road bikes.

The gearing felt good dealing with the moderate slopes, but front suspension makes for a real treat in the comfort department; the softness makes pumping up the hills feel nice and you think less about how the gearing may not be totally ideal, and just deal with it. The big wheels offer a really smooth ride, even riding over the grass of my front lawn was a breeze. I get the feeling that I can ride over any terrain on this bike, as long as I remember to keep one leg on a pedal if I have to step off suddenly (the tight standover would easily destroy me on an uneven surface).

My only big quip besides my poor choice in frame size are the tensioners for the back wheel. I find that hard braking will cause the wheel to disalign and make it turn leftward. The tensioner does nothing since it pulls the hub backward, and braking causes it slide back even further, leaving the tensioner loose. I'm going to explore a screw for forward tension to use for the threaded hole on the left side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    could someone measure the axle to crown on the fork? I am looking to get this bike soon, but will need to order a carbon fork at the same time to avoid raising suspicion by having many boxes arrive at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    slowride454 -

Don't know the ATC, but had one with a carbon fork. I much prefer the steel fork - you might try it first. Sure it's heavy, but lighter than a bouncy fork and it's more comfy and much more durable than carbon. I kept the carbon fork when I went to a Karate Monkey frame and I sure wish I had kept the steel (just sold the carbon and bought a Surly fork).

CF is a cool bling item, but if you really want to upgrade, think about Surly steel, or, even better, Salsa steel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    OK. So are you guys using a Karate Monkey or Krampus fork? I was looking to reuse a GT frame to build a rigid SS, but I hated the frame geometry. I went around and around with A-C dimensions while debating the build. 465-470-480-483-500 which is correct? I see these frames on bike island too, so that is why I was thinking of a build instead. I have some wheels, stem, bars, seat post, saddle laying around. I would need a frame, fork, brakes, crankset, and SS conversion. Looking to go as cheaply as possible while not building an ill-handling tank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This is probably a stupid question, but what size Schwalbe Big Apple tires does this bike take. I'm on their website and I don't see a tire sized anything bigger than 28... Am I missing something here?!

edit: nevermind, realized that the 28 is 'German' sized...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by changed View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but what size Schwalbe Big Apple tires does this bike take. I'm on their website and I don't see a tire sized anything bigger than 28... Am I missing something here?!
    For some reason Schwalbe doesn't list any 29er sizes on their website. But google Schwalbe Big Apple 29 and a lot of places sell them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    IIRC it was round about 465.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just curious, has anyone ever raced one of these things?

mtbr member
    Good question. there are several acres of BLM land just .2 miles from my door and I have set up a little cross type route through it. I have a geared cx bike and was going to swap some skinny donor tires onto my G-29 and compare lap times. I was waiting for my 12 tooth rear cog when I crashed and fractured 2 ribs on my commute to work. Have not done any kind of racing on anything but was going to compare notes between the 2.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good question. there are several acres of BLM land just .2 miles from my door and I have set up a little cross type route through it. I have a geared cx bike and was going to swap some skinny donor tires onto my G-29 and compare lap times. I was waiting for my 12 tooth rear cog when I crashed and fractured 2 ribs on my commute to work. Have not done any kind of racing on anything but was going to compare notes between the 2.
    Sorry to hear, bud. Crashing sucks, but you knew that already... I know it's kinda portly but I figure its still lighter than some of the geared bikes I see at the Cat 3 MTB races. I'll probably race it sometime within the next couple of months. If no one chimes in here, I'll post my findings.
    Last edited by roadie607; 03-22-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie607 View Post
    Just curious, has anyone ever raced one of these things?
    I raced mine a few times last summer in some weekly dirt crits. I raced Cat 3 and I must say, I did fairly well with it. I even got the hole shot one time, but I was pretty much spent by the second lap. It was fun because people thought I was crazy for racing a single speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Haha well, you are. But that's kinda what I expected and just what I was looking for. A cheap SS that would make people on geared full sussers scratch their heads. Might do some sensible upgrading on mine to make it less of a tank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey all,

I'm planning to exchange my 21" for a smaller frame, but I'm back and forth between the 17.5" and 19" frames. I figure the 19" would be a good fit and good standover room, but to be safe I'm thinking about going with the 17.5" instead. I know the wheelbase for the large and medium frames is the same (shorter than the XL), what are some differences that I should keep in mind when making a decision?

The reason I'm leaning toward the 17.5" is just for that extra 2 inches of standover in case I need to get off the bike in a hurry on an uneven surface, but I'm sure the 19 would fit just fine and look more fitting under my 6'3" figure. Advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    At 6'3" I'm not so sure I'd go any smaller than the 19" frame. I'm 5'9 with a 33" inseam and I have the 17.5" and it fits me perfect. And I have just the right amount of standover height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the tip. I decided to go with the 17.5"; even at 6'3', my inseam is only 32". I'm also thinking the smaller frame will be easier to pack/stuff in a trunk and is a tiny bit lighter. I also tried some medium 29er frames at a local bike shop and I think it'll be the best way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you felt good on the medium frames you tried at the LBS, you'll be fine with the 17.5" frame. My medium Specialized Stumpjumper 29er feels very similar to my 17.5" Gravity. Enjoy it, I sure do like mine. When not racing, I generally ride the SS more than the geared bike.

jcm
    mtbr member
    How durable is the bike as stock? Will it handle rough trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    17.5" came in today and it's felt pretty good over the short distance I've ridden it so far.

Coming from the 21", the 2-step size drop offers a noticeably different feel; the look of the frame is more compact and I don't feel like I have to hunch over as much with the shorter wheelbase and stem extension. I've got no complaints about the amount of standover room this time around, and since the bike is smaller I have a feeling it'll be easier to slip the bike into the back of the Sienna since the handlebars aren't as tall; every time I've loaded the 21" I've have to twist and turn it around to get it through the tailgate and keep it from getting caught in the ceiling. I'll test it out tomorrow and let you guys know.

I've taken the XL on all kinds of terrain during my time with it, from moderate slope dirt trails to the San Francisco streets to rocky shores littered with driftwood, and I plan to put the this one through the same paces. The matte black makes it quite the stealthy runner and I'm expecting big things from this bike. I'm curious to see if I could throw some 650b's on it with slick tires for an alternative riding experience

mtbr member
    Been riding mine for a year now and have upgraded as needed. It's been a great bike for a first time SS. I've changed the bars, stem, brakes, pedals, and cranks. The only problems I've had is the stock brakes sucked, so an upgrade was necessary and I popped the pedal threads on the left crank arm. The stem is a 70mm since I don't like feeling too far over the front end.

Answer bars
    Avid Elixir 1 brakes w/ Shimano 180 rotors
    70mm stem
    VP flat pedals
    Shimano Zee crankset

"Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

jcm
    mtbr member
    Nice pics! I pulled the trigger and my black 17.5 inch should be here early next week

jcm
    mtbr member
    My bike was delivered today.. very nice for the price. Setup was a breeze but I do have to adjust the brakes some more to get them right. Took her for a spin around the block, no complaints here

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey everyone. I haven't been on a bike in over 10 years and I recently purchased the Gravity 29 ss ridgid (still waiting on delivery) for single track type fun and as a means of alternate transportation to and from work (3 miles each way). I've read through this thread pretty well so hopefully I won't ask anything thats already been addressed.

1) Is there any speciality tools needed for assembly? For maintainence/cog changing? I have a decent collection of basic hand tools but no speciality bike tools.
    2) has the chain tug issue been fixed on newer models or should I plan on getting 5m bolts?
    3) I want to switch my front brake to the right hand. Will I have any problems doing this? I'm a avid motorcyclist and don't want to reteach myself braking every time I go from moto to bicycle.

I think thats all for now. Thanks in advance!

jcm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jared29ss View Post
    1) Is there any speciality tools needed for assembly? For maintainence/cog changing? I have a decent collection of basic hand tools but no speciality bike tools.
    2) has the chain tug issue been fixed on newer models or should I plan on getting 5m bolts?
    3) I want to switch my front brake to the right hand. Will I have any problems doing this? I'm a avid motorcyclist and don't want to reteach myself braking every time I go from moto to bicycle.

I think thats all for now. Thanks in advance!
    1. A wrench for the bolt on axle nuts/chain tensioners/pedals, allen wrench for adjusting the brakes, tire levers for swapping out tires/tubes later on. Not sure about replacing the cog, I kept it stock

2. Chain tugs are much better than the initial batch, I plan on keeping these for sure. Check out this post from a few pages back: http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/a...l#post10706063

3. Might be able to swap the cables to opposite brake levers, cables should be long enough but you might have to verify when you get the bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You can assemble the bike with an adjustable wrench and a couple allen wrenches. To swap out rear cog you'll need a cassette tool and chain whip. I'd wait on those tools though and just buy them if you decide to change the cog.

I don't know what chain tugs yours will come with. If they are the ones that JCM linked to, you'll be fine. I had the crappy original ones and replaced them with Redline ones.

And as far as swapping levers around, that should be no problem at all. Just don't EVER let anyone else ride your bike. It might not end well for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it.

jcm
    mtbr member
    My rig, kept it stock other than slime tubes. Very happy with it as is

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-10176144_813646788662915_641976259294763013_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Ive accumulated enought parts to build 90% of a bike. FrankenMutt only needs a rear caliper adaptor and some cable to be ready for SS commute duty. Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-frankenbike.jpg
    I need to ride more...

jcm
    mtbr member
    Morning bike ride in the urban jungle

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My bike arrived yesterday and I assembled it last night but I have a question. The chain tugs fit well and work well but I noticed in order to get my tires straight in the frame the chain tug on the left (brake) side is almost tightened all the way back so if i had to pull the wheel rearward anymore i would not be able to use the tugs. But on the right side I still have a bit more rearward adjustment left on the tug. Sorry for the confusion but this was difficult for me to derscribe and I cannot post pictures yet. Do you think my frame might be bent or tweeked a little bit? Should I be worried or is this normal? Everything else is great and it seems to ride good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I wouldn't think your frame would be bent. But that sure doesn't sound right. Does the axle sit in the dropouts evenly on each side? What I mean is measure the distance from the front of the dropout to the axle on each side. It should be the same measurement. If so, is sounds like the tugs may just be crap. Can you maybe take a picture of both sides and post them on here? If you can't post, PM me and I'll send you my email address so you can email them to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I didn't even think to do that. I'll measure it when i get home from work and i'll snap some pictures too;. Thanks

jcm
    mtbr member
    It's kind of a pain to get the rim/tire to sit perfectly in the middle, you might have to slowly adjust each axle nut until it's even, then torque it down and then tighten the chain tugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So I measured the gap between the axle and dropout and both sides are the same and the wheel looks straight and the bike rides straight so I'm not sure why the tugs look strange but I'm not worried about it. They are holding up fine for now and maybe I'll ditch them and switch over to the 5m bolt like others have mentioned but for now I'm happy with how everything rides. Thanks for the help.

Bike for the heck of it!

Good job!

Bike is a single speed again,...
    Last edited by tds101; 05-16-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Does anyone know what size spoke tool works on these wheels?

***** lurker

latest pics

Damn, I still love riding this bike. I still use my Giant Reign for the rough & playful stuff but for XC, this is perfect! My hill-climbs are much faster compared to a geared bike... it's just so easy to be lazy & granny-down when the hills gets tougher.

Since my last post, I've since installed a cheapo T-Mars dropper post. I can't believe how much having it improves flow on the trail. Also got Stan's Arches & although the Crests would've been better suited (& lighter) for this bike, the deal was hard to pass up ($120 for the pair!).

Attachment 890955

Attachment 890954

Attachment 890956

Bike for the heck of it!

Cool-blue Rhythm

Happy Single Speeding people!
    Meh,...

jcm
    mtbr member
    Morning ride, it's nice to have a trail near your home

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-10320596_826706650690262_860525537023824764_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Whoever posted the thread.... Maybe super old.. About the loose stem / front fork... That had been bugging me forever too!! I'm very nitpicky... But what you said to do WORKED!! I've had this bike for a year now and finally got the bugs out. Love this bike.... Seriously love it. I have a more expensive bike.lol but I love riding this thing partly because of the looks I get (no suspension single speed). Thing cooks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone done a howto on this bike for installing a front suspension fork? Thanks!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I didn't do a "how-to" on it (I took it to the shop,not having headset/fork tools or know-how),but I did run a Manitou Drake on mine while I had it,was nice

'11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How much did the shop charge? Might be a better idea.,

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I don't really remember (been over a year ago...),it wasn't much,$20-25 sounds about right.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've got a Kona P2 rigid fork on mine. Works well and is cheap.

Bike for the heck of it!
    I need a new, inexpensive, front fork on mine. Constantly clipping my toes is driving me crazy. I'm going to need to visit MY lbs and get busy I guess. It will be a suspension fork, since NY streets suck!
    Last edited by tds101; 07-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Meh,...

Bike for the heck of it!
    OMG!!! I did a 20+ mile park/street ride this evening, and this thing truly kicks AZZ!!! I hunkered down on the hills and WORKED and then enjoyed the ride down the other side (Vanderbilt Motor Parkway), then I hit the street and just rode around (hills & all). I had a BLAST!!! Think I'll commute with it on Monday,...total joy to ride!!!
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FYI they are available for preorder, with the shipping date between September 10 to September 25.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
    with fork Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

There's also a warning that the price might go up by as much as $100 later in the year. I've been mulling over a new bike purchase for a while, and this bike has been on my list.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have been wanting one since i borrowed a buddies three months ago. The thing is a blast to ride and is great to train on. I actually turned better times on this then my geared bike, kinda crazy. Now that it is available i'm going on vacation so not sure that i want to spend the money on both. Probably going to cave and order it.

Bike for the heck of it!
    I've found this bike is the best of all 5 that I own. The thing is like a glove, and I ride better on it than anything. I luv it.
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well i pulled the trigger last night and ordered the 19" with suspension for. I can't wait to get it and start building. Aside from wheels what are the best upgrades for your money on this bike? I am going to convert this wheel set to tubeless and use them for a while. I am thinking crank set, bars, stem would be a good start on the up grades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejoe View Post
    Well i pulled the trigger last night and ordered the 19" with suspension for. I can't wait to get it and start building. Aside from wheels what are the best upgrades for your money on this bike? I am going to convert this wheel set to tubeless and use them for a while. I am thinking crank set, bars, stem would be a good start on the up grades.
    I'd say setting the stock wheels and tires up tubeless will be the first thing you'll want to do. I've added a carbon fork to mine and replaced the brakes. That has made a big difference in the bike. You really have to think about upgrades though because you'll end up throwing a bunch of money into a $350 bike. And it's still a $350 bike. I see that you bought the front suspension version. Upgrading the fork would be a good upgrade, but putting a fork on a bike that costs more than the bike doesn't make much sense to me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ordered a Kenda small block 8 for the front tire and a Kenda Nevgal for the rear all ready. I love running that set up where i ride. I have the gorilla tape and stans solution already. I am wondering if the stand presta valves will work in the Schrader holes? As for the fork I was considering a used one thats cheap but still an upgrade. If thats not a bad idea how do i go about picking out a fork that will fit the bike? I am not to concerned about upgrading a 400$ bike because i am not going to sell this one.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesh75 View Post
    I'd say setting the stock wheels and tires up tubeless will be the first thing you'll want to do. I've added a carbon fork to mine and replaced the brakes. That has made a big difference in the bike. You really have to think about upgrades though because you'll end up throwing a bunch of money into a $350 bike. And it's still a $350 bike. I see that you bought the front suspension version. Upgrading the fork would be a good upgrade, but putting a fork on a bike that costs more than the bike doesn't make much sense to me.Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20140915_192945.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20140915_192959.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20140915_193109.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20140915_202734.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20140920_174433.jpg
    She's ready for the trails tomorrow. Planning a 15 mile ride to break it in. My small block eight and bottle cages should be here on monday and ill do the tubeless conversion on wednesday night. it went together smooth for a first time builder thats fairly mechanically inclined. Ill probably keep the fork for a while as it seems pretty good for the price. Ill report out on the ride tomorrow night.

~Joe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Fun to ride and very fast. I set 4 PR's on strava and had a blast. My legs are protesting now but its worth it. I would recomend this bike to any one wanting to try out SS. The only issue i had was with the chain tugs loosening on their own. I am going to double nut them and see how that works out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just picked up a 21 inch (34 in seem). I went a little overboard and also got a niner carbon fork off eBay, a new seat post, and Easton carbon haven bars. Plan on going tubeless for now and will upgrade wheels later.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewevolver View Post
    Just picked up a 21 inch (34 in seem). I went a little overboard and also got a niner carbon fork off eBay, a new seat post, and Easton carbon haven bars. Plan on going tubeless for now and will upgrade wheels later.
    Have u done the tubeless conversion on non-tubeless rims? I just finish converting mine. It was Farley painless once I got all the right stuff. If u need any pointers let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have u done the tubeless conversion on non-tubeless rims? I just finish converting mine. It was Farley painless once I got all the right stuff. If u need any pointers let me know.
    I have not. I'm somewhat of a noob to mtbing although I'm a seasoned road racer and cyclist in general.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I have not. I'm somewhat of a noob to mtbing although I'm a seasoned road racer and cyclist in general.
    I used gorilla tape on the rim with the stans presta stems and stans sealant. My rims were drilled for schrader so i ordered some rubber grommets from amazon and put one inside (before tapping) and one outside. I had to remove the core on one of the tires in order to get enough force to set the bead but the other i didn't. Watch a couple of you tube video's before you try it. Some times its ease and sometimes its a total pain. The rims on my Jamis Dakar wont hold the tape at all so the spoke holes leak like crazy and it still has slime tubes in it because of this.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-Prest...ader+to+presta

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I used gorilla tape on the rim with the stans presta stems and stans sealant. My rims were drilled for schrader so i ordered some rubber grommets from amazon and put one inside (before tapping) and one outside. I had to remove the core on one of the tires in order to get enough force to set the bead but the other i didn't. Watch a couple of you tube video's before you try it. Some times its ease and sometimes its a total pain. The rims on my Jamis Dakar wont hold the tape at all so the spoke holes leak like crazy and it still has slime tubes in it because of this.

Amazon.com : Schrader-Presta, Rubber, Rim Hole, Adaptor : Bike Rims : Sports & Outdoors
    Thanks a lot. That should be a fun project. The bike came today and I'm putting it together here soon.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks a lot. That should be a fun project. The bike came today and I'm putting it together here soon.
    Cool post some pics once you get it together.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    So I've been contemplating getting the front suspension version of this SS, in Green. I'm curious about frame size though. I'm 5'9" and was thinking 17.5 for frame... anyone in that height range got one of these? My 26er is a 19" frame.. so figured with the bigger wheels smaller frame might be right...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scou7 View Post
    So I've been contemplating getting the front suspension version of this SS, in Green. I'm curious about frame size though. I'm 5'9" and was thinking 17.5 for frame... anyone in that height range got one of these? My 26er is a 19" frame.. so figured with the bigger wheels smaller frame might be right...
    I'm 5'9" and my 17.5 fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I got the 19" frame and im 5' 9" with a 32in inseem. I had to set it up low but love it and am glad i got the 19" frame. I wouldn't go any other way. Mine has diferent tires, tubless, and shimano pedals and i don't want to do anything else as it is so fun to ride. If you need any info let me know.

~Joe

jcm
    mtbr member
    5'10 here, 17.5 fits perfectly

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesh75 View Post
    I'm 5'9" and my 17.5 fits me perfectly.
    curious...how much does it weigh... going to order one in the next couple of days, and just curious!
    Ride fast, ride often...and above all...just have fun doing it!!

mtbr member

Re: Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

Size recommendations from the vendor seemed to be good as my bike was in fact the right size. I also bought the 650b s.s. bike and the size that was recommended was perfect. I actually ended up taking off the front suspension fork and putting on a rigid as the suspension fork was extremely heavy and was pretty much just a spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-uploadfromtaptalk1416888305995.jpg  

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrider70 View Post
    Size recommendations from the vendor seemed to be good as my bike was in fact the right size. I also bought the 650b s.s. bike and the size that was recommended was perfect. I actually ended up taking off the front suspension fork and putting on a rigid as the suspension fork was extremely heavy and was pretty much just a spring.
    What fork is that in the picture? I'm thinking of getting a Ridgid, just really want that RayGreen!!

mtbr member
    Aluminum 27.5 fork from eBay. No name but pretty good quality. Run 22lbs pressure in the tires with tubeless and it's pretty smooth through the rough stuff.

jcm
    mtbr member
    curious...how much does it weigh... going to order one in the next couple of days, and just curious!
    Dirtmag puts a 19" at at bit over 28 pounds, my 17.5" feels more or less that much

Review: Gravity G29 singlespeed | Dirt Rag

mtbr member
    Mine was a bit over 29 lbs with the suntour suspension fork.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm View Post
    Dirtmag puts a 19" at at bit over 28 pounds, my 17.5" feels more or less that much

Well I just ordered the 17.5 RayGreen!! I know winter is the best time to take up single speed mountain biking on the east coast.. but I'm excited!! At least the bright frame will be good for hunting season

I feel like someone mentioned setting up the rims and tires tubeless.. so I'll probably be doing that first thing. other than that, I'll leave it stock for now.

EDIT: I'll post what mine weighs once I get it all put together.

mtbr member
    By the way, I'm selling the 27.5 shown in the pic if anyone is interested.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

For sale bike shown in pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-uploadfromtaptalk1417195392251.jpg  

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010

For sale bike shown in pic.
    Why you selling it? It hasn't even been on the market that long has it!?

mtbr member
    I've had it over a year and it rides great; however, I have built a very expensive 29er S.S. that weighs about 21 lbs and that's what I normally ride. I prefer 29er over 650b.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010

I've had it over a year and it rides great; however, I have built a very expensive 29er S.S. that weighs about 21 lbs and that's what I normally ride. I prefer 29er over 650b.
    Yeah, I've already told my wife to expect me to want to build an rather expensive SS in the next 18 months. Ride on! Thanks for all your input!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Alright, first post. I've come and gone around here for years doing research. I ordered one of these in the orange. Ridgid. I placed the order Sunday around 2:00 P.M. and got it today (Tuesday). They are fast. I am only two hours away. It sure looks good sitting there staring at me right now. Came well packed in its box and so far I have found no problems. Putting it together was a breeze. Took me a little more than an hour not counting the brakes. I was a little concerned about getting the brakes adjusted but I just went back to page ten of this thread and found ehwik's (Thank You!) post on initial adjustments and so far so good. I haven't got to "bed" them real good yet so we will see. I ordered the 21" frame and kinda wish I had gone with the 19 inch. I am a 34" inseam and the "dangly bits" do slightly rest on the top tube but I'm thinking it will be fine. We've had all the kids were going to have anyway, lol. Can't wait to get it out on some trails and see how we do. We are both, the bike and I, novices so we will go easy for a while. I am planning really light upgrades for it namely petals and maybe a rear cog. Thought I might do the front fork but so far the toe overlap hasn't been a problem. Already got a little mud on it. Thanks for a great thread and a great place. I'll be around.

"singlespeed outlaw"
    New paint for the G29:Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Like the color. Looks good.

Industrial Robot
    I just ordered the G29 rigid in black 19". Also ordered a pair of Redline Lo profile magnesium pedals with sealed bearings to go with it. This extensive and comprehensive thread is pretty much what sold me on it, can't wait to get it in.
    Last edited by mechanizedDNA; 12-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    If your seat post is sticking out of your frame further then 6 inches, you need a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New to the forum, I just picked up a White Gravity 29er off CL for $225. I couldn't pass it up for that price, it has some good upgrades as well so I figured if I hated it I could sell the frame and use everything else. I've been wanting a 29er for a while, I've searched for a Haro Mary ss or a Redline but I can't find anything. So...this came along and I grabbed it. My initial impressions: this thing is super fun to ride. I didn't deal with BD so I can't comment on that end of it, but this bike is really great so far. I'll put up pictures when able. This is my first 29er and my first rigid SS, not counting all my bmx bikes over the years, and I am probably never going back to 26!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SquareFace View Post
    New to the forum, I just picked up a White Gravity 29er off CL for $225. I couldn't pass it up for that price, it has some good upgrades as well so I figured if I hated it I could sell the frame and use everything else. I've been wanting a 29er for a while, I've searched for a Haro Mary ss or a Redline but I can't find anything. So...this came along and I grabbed it. My initial impressions: this thing is super fun to ride. I didn't deal with BD so I can't comment on that end of it, but this bike is really great so far. I'll put up pictures when able. This is my first 29er and my first rigid SS, not counting all my bmx bikes over the years, and I am probably never going back to 26!
    Wow! Lucky you. That is a good deal.

Question to this thread, I've read the whole thread over the past week but don't recall anyone saying, has anyone used the stock tires to go tubeless? Mine came with WTB Prowler SL tires. They seemed kind of thin walled handling them when assembling the bike. I would like to try tubeless but would like to avoid buying new tires. Thanks.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawin View Post
    Wow! Lucky you. That is a good deal.

Question to this thread, I've read the whole thread over the past week but don't recall anyone saying, has anyone used the stock tires to go tubeless? Mine came with WTB Prowler SL tires. They seemed kind of thin walled handling them when assembling the bike. I would like to try tubeless but would like to avoid buying new tires. Thanks.
    Jawin,

I'm currently using the stock Prowlers tubeless. I originally planned on getting new tires... thinking these were crap. However, after riding them, I've been quite impressed by them. As for the stock wheels, I was going to do Gorilla Tape tubeless to them, but then picked up a set of Stan Arches for a steal. So with Stan's Arches, the stock WTB Prowlers, 1" wide Gorilla tape & Stan's sealant I was able to set up tubes fairly easily.

Though I am curious if anyone has been successful in using the stock WTB wheels to go tubeless as i never had a chance to do so.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Jawin,

I'm currently using the stock Prowlers tubeless. I originally planned on getting new tires... thinking these were crap. However, after riding them, I've been quite impressed by them. As for the stock wheels, I was going to do Gorilla Tape tubeless to them, but then picked up a set of Stan Arches for a steal. So with Stan's Arches, the stock WTB Prowlers, 1" wide Gorilla tape & Stan's sealant I was able to set up tubes fairly easily.

Though I am curious if anyone has been successful in using the stock WTB wheels to go tubeless as i never had a chance to do so.
    Thanks cfanto. I, too, am curious about the rims. I was thinking going the 20" tube around the rim route. Not sure if that would make a difference in the rim used. I'm new to the tubeless thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Im also looking at tubeless options, I've watched all the YouTube videos, I think I'll try it before too long. The first thing I'm doing is swapping out the brakes! I know it's been covered in this thread before, but good lord these brakes are TERRIBLE! I took the bike on a good shakedown ride and the two things at the top of the list are brakes and a wider bar. Everything else about the bike is great!

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    So Finally was able to get my RayGreen G29 out of the box and assembled... had a gnarly scratch on the down tube from the front wheel axle end... oh well...

So a few things that i noticed... The rear hub makes some noise, will be taking that apart, probably just needs grease. Brakes definitely need some bedding in...paint chips easily.. probably why [Oaker] repainted theirs!

Took it for my first ride Sunday.. almost 10 miles. This thing is fun as hell to ride and feels super solid and light on the trails. I actually passed my buddy (riding a 26er 1x9) on a steep climb! I can see doing lots of rides on this thing, already have a 20T cog on order for trails that get steep...hope that helps! In the picture you'll notice I forgot to take the newb reflectors off the wheels! (they were removed shortly after this photo was taken)

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-20141227_133455.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Really liking that green. I agree on the solid feeling of the bikes. I haven't been on an actual trail yet, although most of the streets in this town resemble one. I have ridden mine about 15 miles so far and still no complaints.

Still wondering about the rims and running them tubeless.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    I felt like someone had posted something about running them tubeless, and provided links.. but maybe not.. That is my next task. figured some orange seal rim tape and a bottle of Orange Seal should do it... we'll see I guess. It'll either work or I'll make a mess!!! I'll post my results here either way

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I used 1" Gorilla tape, Stans valve stems, and Stans sealant with the stock wheels and tires and it works great. Stans has videos on their website on how to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Scou7, I'll be looking forward to your results.

jamesh75, thanks. Good to know.

I'm not ready to do mine yet or I'd make a mess with mine. Was just wondering for future reference. Much thanks and may the bike trails be good to us all in the new year.

mtbr member
    I've done the Gorilla tape and Stans stems and sealer on several bikes for myself and friends with good results.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Alright, I finally got my Gravity G29 out on it's first trail today. I am a beginner but I felt like I was riding it fairly hard. There was nothing I didn't try, including a few jumps. Bashed the chain ring a time or two and gave the brakes a workout. Mine is completely stock. It survived this time. The one thing I will say is that it is slightly big and I have a 34 inch inseam. I am 6'0" tall. The box it was shipped in has printed on it that riders should have a 35 inch inseam. I did have to hop off once and my feet landed a little lower than the plane of the wheels and bumped my self ever so slightly. I could see a situation where I might hurt myself if not careful. Something to think about. I'll live with it.

Being single speed will get better, I believe, as I become more experienced. I had to push a few places but if I had been paying attention and been more prepared, probably stronger, I would have made it without pushing. Not really a problem for me.

No flats and I was riding in a cactus infested place under mesquite trees so I was blessed. I thought the stock tires ran well and were not a problem but more experience here, as well, will tell later.

Being rigid did not bother me.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it. Had fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've been looking into this bike for awhile. It will be my first MTB after riding track and commuting for years. With that said, most of my riding will be single track and nothing too technical off the bat, as I have never ridden terrain outside of track and the road. Should I be looking into the front suspension model? I'm aware that the front fork is garbage, but I could be upgrading down the line through the Suntour trade-up program.

Rigid? Or Front Supension with an eventual Raidon front fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Go with a good quality suspension fork (like a fox or rock shox).

I've heard suntour is good now, but I'm skeptical...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had my back wheel slip... what are the best chaintugs available for the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just spent a couple hours reading through this thread and promptly ordered a 21 inch full suspension G29. I enjoy my SS road bike a lot, and couldn't find a less expensive way to get into mountain biking.

More than the bike, I am amazed at this community, and am looking forward to becoming a member (and asking some noob questions).

Speaking of noob questions, throughout the thread I looked for but couldn't find a list a tools needed to complete the initial build. I already have a full set of standard and metric wrenches, as well a bunch of allen keys, and some tire levers (if you call those "tools"). Is there anything else I should add to a beginner tool set? Perhaps a chain tool? Is a stand overkill?

I noticed a culture of trading on these forums, and while I don't have any mtb related to offer, I am a math tutor by trade. So if you are in a rough math class and have some bike knowledge, perhaps we can work something out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by frito_mosquito View Post
    Just spent a couple hours reading through this thread and promptly ordered a 21 inch full suspension G29. I enjoy my SS road bike a lot, and couldn't find a less expensive way to get into mountain biking.

More than the bike, I am amazed at this community, and am looking forward to becoming a member (and asking some noob questions).

Speaking of noob questions, throughout the thread I looked for but couldn't find a list a tools needed to complete the initial build. I already have a full set of standard and metric wrenches, as well a bunch of allen keys, and some tire levers (if you call those "tools"). Is there anything else I should add to a beginner tool set? Perhaps a chain tool? Is a stand overkill?

I noticed a culture of trading on these forums, and while I don't have any mtb related to offer, I am a math tutor by trade. So if you are in a rough math class and have some bike knowledge, perhaps we can work something out.
    I don't think I needed much more than a 5mm and a 3mm allen and a pump It was super easy to put together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by stormface View Post
    I don't think I needed much more than a 5mm and a 3mm allen and a pump It was super easy to put together.
    Well how about that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    does it seem odd that the geometry of the G29 and G27five are so different. seems like the 27.5" in the same size frame has longer ETT and taller standover. Think this is accurate? Here are the specs for the 21" frame for both ... for the 21" G29 the ETT is 23.62", standover is 32.1" and wheelbase is 45.2". For the G27five for the 21" frame the ETT is 25" and the standover is 33" and wheelbase is 44". Anybody have one of these two bikes and can get actual measurements of the ETT and standover and what size frame they have. Trying to decide which one is the better ride and would fit me best. 6'4" and 35.5" cycling inseam. 36/37 sleeve dress shirt, so pretty long arms too. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jhammer221 View Post
    does it seem odd that the geometry of the G29 and G27five are so different. seems like the 27.5" in the same size frame has longer ETT and taller standover. Think this is accurate? Here are the specs for the 21" frame for both ... for the 21" G29 the ETT is 23.62", standover is 32.1" and wheelbase is 45.2". For the G27five for the 21" frame the ETT is 25" and the standover is 33" and wheelbase is 44". Anybody have one of these two bikes and can get actual measurements of the ETT and standover and what size frame they have. Trying to decide which one is the better ride and would fit me best. 6'4" and 35.5" cycling inseam. 36/37 sleeve dress shirt, so pretty long arms too. thanks
    I just put together the 21" G29, and took it out for a quick 15 mile ride yesterday and it fits me really well. I am 6'2.5" with 37" inseam (crotch to floor with shoes on). I can get some actual measurements on it later today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sweet frito. Thanks! Hoping someone has the 27.5 too. Really think I might get one of the two. It's pretty flat here in Iowa and I kind of want to avoid gears for easier maintenance and single speed rigid has always been something I've wanted to try. These two bikes for the price seem like good options. Might even get one for my son. 

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My measurements are within a tenth of an inch of what they have on the Bikes Direct site:
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...es/g29_geo.gif

All I could add would be (for the 21 inch):

Seat tube standover: 31.25"
    Head tube standover: 37.5"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the info Frito ... we know what the G29 is now. Anybody with a g27five want to check there's out? thanks!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just a heads up. These:
    CHAIN TENSIONERS | Redline Bicycles

Definitely do NOT fit on this bike. You will need to cut them.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    First post on here...

I am struggling with my new G29 SS. I can't seem to get the rear end set up correctly. The chain tensioners don't seem to really do anything (any recommendations?) and when I crank down the bolts on the axle, the whole thing seems to shift and make the chain too tight. Also, Unless the chain is super loose, it is making a popping noise when it is going around the rear cog. I dont know why this is so difficult, am I missing how to correctly do this?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Update on my G29SS-
    I learned that the first thing you should do with this bike is throw the frame in the garbage and get a real frame. I bought a Surly Karate Monkey frameset from LBS and swapped most of the parts over. The Karate Monkey is a WAY better platform and throwing new and better parts at it every once in a while is actually going to be worth something. The rear end was so messed up on this bike that no matter what way the wheel was oriented, the chain was binding up because it was not lining up straight enough with the front crankset gear. The chain tension has been adjusted 1 time on the KM and has not moved at all after a good amount of riding. It would slip every 5 minutes on the gravity frame.

And the fit of this Bike! I am 6'4 and the 21" is too small. the frame was not long enough (front to back). The XL Karate Monkey fits a million times better.

In conclusion, Most of the parts from this bike are pretty good but will be upgraded down the road. I don't completely blame BikesDirect because they are nice people with great customer service, Just a bad bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Great bike for the $

I already had a 26" singlespeed conversion, but my oldest son was outgrowing his mountain bike and needed and upgrade. So i used this as an excuse to bump up to a 29'er and go with a real singlespeed frame setup..no tensioner.

Overall...Love it. I swapped a few of the weaker parts out because i had spares that fit... Threw a set of BB7's on and a lighter set of cranks...Plus my bars and saddle to make it feel like home.

Ive done a couple of 20milers on the singletrack. No issues to date.
    Other than getting used to being fully ridnig...but after a few miles i really didn't miss the fork anymore than i miss the gears.

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-g29.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    SingleSpeedersRock, I bought the orange, which I like, but really digging the black. Looks good.

As far as the frame goes, I haven't had much trouble with mine. I have noticed that the back tire seems to want to move to the left a little. I'm not used to the chain tension lugs as I've never used them before, so maybe it's just me not knowing how to set them correctly. I've not had any problems with the chain binding and have put maybe 150 miles on the bike.

I've wondered why even use the tension lugs as bmx bike wheels mount the same way?

Bike for the heck of it!
    My black SS G29 is no longer a SS. I had a Shimano 3 speed igh laced into the rear wheel, and the chainring changed. It's now geared 46/20. Great as my work commuter, and amazing in the park.

Too bad I got injured at work (knee & shin, slip/fall) and I can't ride for a bit.

As for the chain, I went half link. The wheel no longer shifts now,...it's locked in nice and snug!
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Is it possible to remove the chainring/bashguard and replace it with the oval ring or narrow wide? I tried using allen keys and it wouldn't budge.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wedu View Post
    Is it possible to remove the chainring/bashguard and replace it with the oval ring or narrow wide? I tried using allen keys and it wouldn't budge.
    I changed mine out to RaceFace Narrowwide 32T and bashring. I do remember the bolt being rather tough to undo, but they did break loose eventually. I also changed the rear to a 20T (Origin8). I've had 2 or 3 chain drops on climbs...that have ended painfully.. so need to figure out why its dropping, probably the Origin8 cog.

The tensioners are worthless. However I just ordered some Machine thread 5 bolts on amazon and use that method. A little long, but they work.
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-img_20150703_193027.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Is the hub wide enough to accommodate an 8-speed IGH? Also, have you tried running it tubeless?

Thanks in advance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast