Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    UPS tracking says "Out for delivery" today
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    UPS tracking says "Out for delivery" today
    Hopefully you don't have the same delays I'm having. Mine has been out for delivery for the past 3 days...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Lets hope the heck not...it showed at their VA depot (leaving for del) at 0620 this morning...that's only 3 miles (knock on wood).
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    there is one locally on CL that has been tempting me
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    It came!!! I got it out and assembled it really quick,then right before they left for the day droppped it off at my favorite LBS to have my squishy fork and Avids installed. Shot a pic of the box,and one of it in the stand (yes,I know,this is before I righted the fork,it's backwards ),too danged excited (and rushed to make it before the LBS closed) to shoot more pics. Box was in good shape on mine (I've read of them being beaten up pretty good),everything looked as it should/was described,I'm happy,will be happier this weekend if this danged headcold lets up enough to ride in the woods

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-002.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-003.jpg
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    So lucky! Mine is still lost. Need to file a claim with UPS...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Man,I'm sorry
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    I know lame... Starting to wish I had just picked this up locally, he'd probably take $500.

Haro Mary Single Speed 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mine came in the other day as well!!! super excited!!! stripped some parts off another of my rides and now it sports some egg beaters, BB7s and a Origin8 carbon fork!!!

I've still gotta bring it in to the LBS to get wheels trued (I need to work on my truing skills) but I can't wait for a test ride & cell phone photo shoot!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?...3258&noquote=1

well... I hesitate to unveil it, but here's my completed project:

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-kdk_0796.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-kdk_0793.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-kdk_0797.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-kdk_0794.jpg

bikeisland.com unbranded frame,
    I replaced the stem and handlebars with some bmx styled ones, removed the back brake, replaced it with a velo-solo bolt on cog, replaced the starnut/topcap so I can route the front brake cable through the headtube, replaced pedals and added straps.
    replaced the chain just to keep up with the 'chotchkies' minimum standard of 10 pieces of flare.
    looks nice,
    rides like a dream,
    been getting a lot of compliments around town.
    don't hate me for turning my 29er into a fixed gear
    livin' the dream

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by A_666_K9 View Post
    Mine came in the other day as well!!! super excited!!! stripped some parts off another of my rides and now it sports some egg beaters, BB7s and a Origin8 carbon fork!!!

I've still gotta bring it in to the LBS to get wheels trued (I need to work on my truing skills) but I can't wait for a test ride & cell phone photo shoot!
    Awesome! Can't wait to see's it

Quote Originally Posted by Tockit View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?...3258&noquote=1

well... I hesitate to unveil it, but here's my completed project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kdk_0796.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	789911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kdk_0793.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	789912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kdk_0797.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	789913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kdk_0794.jpg 
Views:	797 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	789914

bikeisland.com unbranded frame,
    I replaced the stem and handlebars with some bmx styled ones, removed the back brake, replaced it with a velo-solo bolt on cog, replaced the starnut/topcap so I can route the front brake cable through the headtube, replaced pedals and added straps.
    replaced the chain just to keep up with the 'chotchkies' minimum standard of 10 pieces of flare.
    looks nice,
    rides like a dream,
    been getting a lot of compliments around town.
    don't hate me for turning my 29er into a fixed gear
    livin' the dream
    Looks sweet,my friend!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Bikesdirect just sent out a replacement for my missing shipment. Scheduled to arrive 4/17... At least they are making it right, but sucks that I've been waiting for over a week, was hoping to break it in this weekend before the weather gets insanely hot.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Well,I'm glad it's sorted out anyways my friend. BD has pretty good CS from my experience. I didn't get mine out of the LBS today. They may or may not have gotten the parts swapping done,but with 2 kids sick and home for the 3rd straight day (not to mention my fever high of the day at 102.4 degrees at one point),I took em back to the doc for the 2nd Friday in a row. I'll check on it tomorrow sometime.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Well,I'm glad it's sorted out anyways my friend. BD has pretty good CS from my experience. I didn't get mine out of the LBS today. They may or may not have gotten the parts swapping done,but with 2 kids sick and home for the 3rd straight day (not to mention my fever high of the day at 102.4 degrees at one point),I took em back to the doc for the 2nd Friday in a row. I'll check on it tomorrow sometime.
    That sucks, I just got over a pretty nasty bug myself. Peaked at 102.5, luckily it was only for a day, but took me a week or so to get back to full capacity. Hope you and the kids feel better soon.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanks Ugh...a week,I WISH...been building up to (or would that be "torn down to"? :P ) this point of misery for nearly 10 days now,LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Wow, hope you feel better soon! Let us know how you like the new fork. I was on a trail last week that made me wish I went with suspension rather than rigid carbon.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanks,me too,LOL!

I rode rigid for years (most recently a Vassago ODIS fork on that Redline d440 from '08-'early '11),but as I age with these old spinal injuries,my ability to ride is slighted without a little coosh. I ran this fork for over a year on my old Bandersnatch and it proved comfy to be only 80mm (I usually run/ran 100-125mm just for the spine),but that was on sweet steel tubing....we'll see. IF they ever get it done,just got off the phone with em,they haven't touched it yet,so it's looking like Monday now I woulda went riding tomorrow regaurdless of the flu,so I guess it's probly better for me this way. Still,LAST time I trade home baked cake for labor (especially with pre-payment )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Got it back outta the shop today with my bars/stem,seatpost,bb7's,pedals,and Manitou Drake 80mm air fork on it,I still will need to swap the cog/spacers over to my (handbuilt by Buzz29 of The True Wheel LBS,that's his username here,Buzz29,awesome dude he is) WTB/SRAM wheelset and install them,but man,I'm sicker today than I have yet been,was sweating like a pig just shooting the pics
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-5.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-6.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-9.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-11.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-12.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-13.jpg

Can't WAIT until I beat this dang headcold and hit trail with it!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, take it easy and feel 100% before you start riding again though.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanks,and yeah....I'm as sick as I am now for trying to ride through it for the 30 Days Biking thing last week,methinks :P
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just a heads up for those waiting. BD has the front suspension version on sale for $399, which is $50 off the normal. Although tempting Im 250lbs i doubt that fork would even be worth it.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    IDK...I was thinking about it a while back (I'm about 160). I didn't get it because I already have the Drake to swap on,but as someone pointed out earlier,the stanchions are 90's era thin. I'd definately talk to BD aboutyour size intended use,warantee/ETC,if they say go for it it's covered...you won't get another 100mm for 50 bucks...then again,if you ride hard and your trails are technical I'd pass,my 2 cents for what they're worth.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Origin-8 tensioners installed (no modification necessary) and shakedown ride is done... I'll work on my post count so that I can throw in pictures...

First impression, not my first Rigid SS but is my first 29er...

At 33/18 the feel of the stock gearing is quite close to what I was riding on my 26" @ 32/16, I haven't researched the difference between the gearing @ different wheel sizes so I'm just going off feel... I find that once I get going I'm not off the saddle and hammering away at the pedals as much as I was before (again, could be gearing) but that's a nice change...

Bars could be wider (maybe an inch or two) but they're not too narrow.

All in all I'm enjoying the ride!

mtbr member
    Round 2... on vehicle for delivery today. If it doesn't show up again, I'm just going to cancel my order. Over 2 weeks is getting a little out of hand.

mtbr member
    UPS guy just drove right on past again today. This is starting to feel like a joke... I really wish that Bikes Direct had a phone number, this emailing back and forth isn't getting me anywhere. I'm cancelling my order, I'll find a bike locally instead. Uhg, just in time for the weather to hit 90 degrees, so much for getting a few rides in before summer.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Parsedout,man I'm sorry you're having such an ordeal getting yours,sucks hard
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by A_666_K9 View Post
    Origin-8 tensioners installed (no modification necessary)
    I've been wondering about this - I notice the origin8's are the same size and shape as the stock tensioners. you didn't have to bend the screw like on the stock ones? are they nice and strait?
    I know your post count is low, but you should snap some pics of them from several angles and post them when you can - I'm curious.

mtbr member
    Bike showed up today, 2 weeks after initial ordering. Haven't had a chance to open the box yet, but it's finally here!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    AWESOME news!!! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

I STILL haven't thrown a leg over mine,doc said this crap I've fought for going on 3.5 weeks now is walking pnuemonia,sigh...feelign a little better after a few days of antibiotics (I mowed our itty bitty yard today,I might not shoulda but felt strong enough),so hopefully by weekend's end.

I got a revolver sold yesterday,opened up a bit of funds (not much for disposible,since we're just floating level lately,LOL),ordered a new chain/Surly 22t cog for my hilly trails (and my outta shape butt ) and a computer so my obsessive self can track mileage...getting ansy/anxious to get on dirt with it
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm excited to get it put together and take her on the maiden voyage.

Hope you kick the crud and can put some miles behind you soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been wondering about this - I notice the origin8's are the same size and shape as the stock tensioners. you didn't have to bend the screw like on the stock ones? are they nice and strait?
    I know your post count is low, but you should snap some pics of them from several angles and post them when you can - I'm curious.
    They actually work very well with no bending of the bolt. They are quite similar but the back piece (that presses against the frame at the end of the dropout) is shaped so that it won't force the nut to bend.

I've got pictures, if you want you can e-mail me and I"ll shoot them over to you. faduljt at gmail dot com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsedOut View Post
    Yeah, I'm excited to get it put together and take her on the maiden voyage.

Hope you kick the crud and can put some miles behind you soon!
    ^ THIS

I hope you can BOTH throw a leg over soon... and congrats parsed!! enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

My Black 17 was just ordered. Orgin8 tensioners ordered.
    Not decided on which carbon fork, want to keep it on the cheap, any recommendations are appreciated.
    Since its black and I wanted a white one I have a white WTB Devo saddle and a white riser bar to throw on it as well as I will put some white brake cable housings on it with a white bottle cage to give it a lil attitude. Can't wait to hit the new trail 3 miles from my home.

Pics soon after I pull it off my Park work stand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not rude, but why is everyone throwing money at this bike? I own one. I got a cheap ($60 used) Salsa fork for it and its fine. If you want to 'keep it cheap', then why are you putting a $200+ carbon fork on it? I know I'm probably going to get some crap for this post, but putting $200+ of upgrades into the bike doesn't make sense. It's fundamentally a heavy frame, made of aluminum, which is not terribly compliant. If you want a comfy SS ride, then why not spring for a nicer steel frame bike using the money in your upgrade fund? Just my two cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Tensioners are 8 bucks. my total spend on upgrades.
    And I asked about cheap fork solutions.
    You are the one spitting out $200. upgrades not me.
    The bars, saddle, brake housing, bottle cage I already have.
    I was looking for a cheap fork fix as outlined on several posts here, not looking to be criticized for it. So yeah you were rude and off the mark. Keep your 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Easy there. That comment was not solely directed at you. However, there are no cheap carbon forks for much less than $200, so that's were the number came from. If you want to fix the fork rake problems, then I would check ebay for a used fork to do it as cheap as possible. I will say that the Salsa Cro-moto grande I got was both cheap and very comfortable. I would look into that. Anyway. Good luck. Enjoy the rides.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    G29 : First,welcome to mtbr,and congrats on the new bike,hope you enjoy both Can't wait to see pics of it all dirty and having fun. I think you have to have so-many posts before you can do pics though....so get to posting

ParsedOut and A_666_K9 : Thanks I felt well enough to mow yesterday (very small yard in a trailer park,LOL,took all of 20 minutes ),I was going to try a short easy road spin around the park here today (small yards,huge all-owners-no-renters park,a couple hundred and several streets),but it's been cold/windy and pouring rain all day...I have some errands to run tomorrow,but REALLY hoping to get some saddle time in,even if it's on the road bike (because I have yet to swap the wheel/brake arts over,and am not likely to do that if I feel up to riding instead of,LOL,besides,yesterday I ordered a chain and cog,no sense swapping twice )....SOON though
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by ehwik View Post
    Not rude, but why is everyone throwing money at this bike? I own one. I got a cheap ($60 used) Salsa fork for it and its fine. If you want to 'keep it cheap', then why are you putting a $200+ carbon fork on it? I know I'm probably going to get some crap for this post, but putting $200+ of upgrades into the bike doesn't make sense. It's fundamentally a heavy frame, made of aluminum, which is not terribly compliant. If you want a comfy SS ride, then why not spring for a nicer steel frame bike using the money in your upgrade fund? Just my two cents.
    I dunno if you meant me with better wheels,cockpit,brakes and Manitou fork,but all of those parts were already owned/in my parts stash...only bits I bought were a pair of bottle cages,a Surly cog and chain (since the stock one won't be long enough)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks LongHaul!
    I think upgrading a bike is cool. Yes the G29 only costs 350 but compares to bikes twice the price. Why not improve/personalize it to a personal preference or style?
    I signed up here because of all the great tips and advice which I value greatly. For me life is to short to be a critic. I've had bikes that cost 4K to build(Custom steel 29r) but thats not what I'm after now. Affordable & fun.
    My G is gonna be sweet no matter what.

mtbr member
    I was not sure how I would feel about SS so yes, I wanted the most cost effective (cheap is good too) platform I could find. After spending some time in the saddle I decided I was hooked and then opted to upgrade the current bike rather than replace it. This approach was more practical financially and also fun since I love to tinker with things. So far I am having a blast and would really have to spend some serious dough to improve much over what I've got.
    I need to ride more...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by G29r View Post
    Thanks LongHaul!
    I think upgrading a bike is cool. Yes the G29 only costs 350 but compares to bikes twice the price. Why not improve/personalize it to a personal preference or style?
    I signed up here because of all the great tips and advice which I value greatly. For me life is to short to be a critic. I've had bikes that cost 4K to build(Custom steel 29r) but thats not what I'm after now. Affordable & fun.
    My G is gonna be sweet no matter what.
    Yer welcome,and that's half the fun for me as well

Quote Originally Posted by camekanix View Post
    I was not sure how I would feel about SS so yes, I wanted the most cost effective (cheap is good too) platform I could find. After spending some time in the saddle I decided I was hooked and then opted to upgrade the current bike rather than replace it. This approach was more practical financially and also fun since I love to tinker with things. So far I am having a blast and would really have to spend some serious dough to improve much over what I've got.
    And besides that,if one wanted a Blinglespeed but didn't have the money to just go build one all at once,what's better....to start saving and have none to ride,or buy cheap and upgrade with the parts you want while having it to ride,then lastly upgrade frames?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Put together my 19" G29 this morning and took her for a spin around the neighborhood before I had to leave for work. Felt great!

As for the upgrades comments. The beauty of nearly all upgrades you can do to a bike will transfer to another frame if you decide to change out frames to a cromo or carbon. So I say upgrade the hell out of your G29 but keep the stock parts, when you decide to super hardcore, then take all your well earned upgraded parts and swap them over to the new ride. Kind of like building a second bike one part at a time. *edit* Ha, just realized this is basically exactly what longhaultrucker said. Great minds...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Better watch...could be twisted minds :P
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Are the decals under the clearcoat? I've noticed 2 frames in this thread with no decals.. are they both from bikeisland?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    They might just be...mine (decals) are most definately under the clear
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, upgrades are good.

Ordered BB7's for the initial assembly. $100. buck upgrade worth every penny.

IMO the brakes are the weakest component of the G.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDrew View Post
    Are the decals under the clearcoat? I've noticed 2 frames in this thread with no decals.. are they both from bikeisland?
    both camekanix and mine are from bikeisland - they sell unbranded g29 frames in black only with or without a fork starting at $149. that's a pretty schnazzy pricepoint for a 29er frame with track fork ends. I saw SE Stout frames from some seller at the same price, but this one had no logos - I just have an affinity for no decals.

also, a word of advice for all of you - yank your bottom bracket out and reinstall it yourself. bikesdirect installs this part completely dry with no polylube whatsoever. hairbrained shit. your bike will love you for the effort.

mtbr member
    Maiden voyage was a success today. Just went to a really easy area of desert near by and trolled around for a few hours. Some decent sized dirt mounds to climb but nothing difficult. Aside from the pretty heavy toe overlap and a swarm of bees that nearly made me bail on a short downhill, no issues to report.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    both camekanix and mine are from bikeisland - they sell unbranded g29 frames in black only with or without a fork starting at $149. that's a pretty schnazzy pricepoint for a 29er frame with track fork ends. I saw SE Stout frames from some seller at the same price, but this one had no logos - I just have an affinity for no decals.

also, a word of advice for all of you - yank your bottom bracket out and reinstall it yourself. bikesdirect installs this part completely dry with no polylube whatsoever. hairbrained shit. your bike will love you for the effort.
    Polylube? Ya mean the bearings are in there dry? Thats messed up if so.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yeah,thanks for the heads up on the dry bearings! I have some BB tools,but nothing to fit most Truvativ stuffs,what type is it?

Swapped my wheels over today (put the cog/spacers on my better wheels and threw them on there). Both are QR hubs,I may swap the back one back to a bolt-on. My Redline tensioners don't fit (like someone else had mentioned a few pages ago I suppose?),I can see how to mod them to work,but I've had that pair for over a decade,I hate to cut em,LOL!

Felt a bit better today,had intended to do a short road ride,but spent the day crawled up-under my wife's car,looks like it's tranny is gunna need yanked,sigh,with only 2.5 payments and no warantee left of course

Hoping get short road ride in tomorrow to see how my lungs are feeling after pah-nuemonia for a friggin month
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Polylube? Ya mean the bearings are in there dry? Thats messed up if so.
    well the bottom bracket that comes with the bike is going to be a one piece cartridge style one from truvativ - the lack of lube I speak of is in the threads that screw into the frame. the bearings themselves are sealed and just fine - it's the threads of the bottom bracket itself that aren't lubed. it's just installed dry which isn't good. if you ever have to pull it out of your bike in, say, 5 years you might need to blow-torch it to get it loose.
    if you ever want to use anything other than that truvative crank you'll need a new bottom bracket, and if that's 10 years down the road and the thing is fused to your frame it'll be a ***** and a half to fool with.

everything in life is better with a little loob ;-D

use a park bbt-22 along with pedros bottom bracket socket holder for best results. you'll need a good steady work-stand or something comparable to get it loose - it'll be a sonofa***** to get loose, you might get a friend to help steady it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh, the BB treads, good to know. I usually use teflon tape instead of lube but to each his own. Luckily I've had a Park workstand for years. Good call, I'll be sorting out the BB threads asap. What idiots to dry fit the BB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A dry BB reminds me of an ex-girlfriend.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Really tempted to pull the trigger on one of these- but having a hard time on sizing. I've done some reading but still torn on going 19" or 21" here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How much steerer tube is needed on a 17" frame?
    A few friends have some carbon forks I can get cheap so need to know about how much steerer is needed. $80. for a OnOne carbon seems like a great upgrade, will shed a pound off the front(more agile) and be more compliant.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    Really tempted to pull the trigger on one of these- but having a hard time on sizing. I've done some reading but still torn on going 19" or 21" here.
    if it helps I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the 21" fits me perfectly. I also, notably, only use this bike for urban street riding. if I were taking it on trails, especially precarious ones, I'd be inclined to stick with the 19" frame for a little more ball-bag clearance on the top tube.
    gotta look out fer me boys..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 6' and almost 33" inseam so leaning towards 19"!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 6' and almost 33" inseam so leaning towards 19"!
    I think that's the right thing to do. I am 5'11" and 33" inseam and got the 19" and it fits about right. Wouldn't want any less cajones clearance though. Take with a grain of salt since I am noob, but I'd go 19" for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and 32.5" inseam and the 19" fits well however if I had to do it again I'd probably go 17". The few times I had to hop off on an uphill gone badly I racked a nut pretty good. I'm sure proper bail technique would have helped that some. A smaller frame can be made to fit with adjusting the saddle and the stem so I'd rather have more standover clearance.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Sizing is a it on the smaller side,I normally fit a 17.5"-18" PERFECTLY on 29"ers,and 19"+ being a bit on the big side,so I ordered a 17.5",I could easily have fitted a 19" comfortably as well (I'll take my 17.5" and run with it,but if I were to order another,I'd go 19",so yeah,they run a bit small)

How much steerer tube is needed on a 17" frame?
    A few friends have some carbon forks I can get cheap so need to know about how much steerer is needed. $80. for a OnOne carbon seems like a great upgrade, will shed a pound off the front(more agile) and be more compliant.

Thanks!
    I just ran out to thw workshop and measured exactly 5" on my black 17.5"
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Went with the FS, 19" matte black ordered. Will be nice to have a bike again, and first foray into 29" and SS.

mtbr member
    Went with the FS, 19" matte black ordered. Will be nice to have a bike again, and first foray into 29" and SS.
    Nice! I sort of wish I had spent the extra $50 and got the front fork. I know it's bottom of the barrel in quality but it would have almost worth it to get the matte black paint job.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Had the white been in stock in my size would have been very tough. I'm a big matte black fan so was happy that worked. Once funds allow brake and shock upgrades happening.

mtbr member
    My plans include hydro brakes, tubeless tires and probably a Voodoo Zombie fork to solve the toe overlap issues. Other than that, I don't think I'll be going too crazy with it... If I get super fanatical about it, I'll probably pick up a high quality CrMo frame and build it up with some nice components. For now, the budget G29 will be just fine.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    chakup,cool beans,my friend,matte black IS a killer color,let us know how the fork actually performs (all we've been going on so far is congecture,educated gustimates and yes,bias).

Parsed,I had and ran one of those Voovoo forks on a Origin 8Scout 29 before parts somehow disappeared from the bike (ok...I was in a bind. Ok....I was wanting some new RC stuff to race electric this year ),it was a purdy good riding fork,or dang good for the low price,IMO.

I took mine on it's maiden voyage this evening,and my son's first ride on a fairly difficult trail. Almost didn't get the ride in,cause I simply couldn't get that dang rear wheel tight enough to prevent slippage (good thing I took a test ride before loading up,huh? ),refering to my better rear wheel which I ran on my old Bandersnatch...it has a QR axle. SO,I did the only thing I could with time to still ride,I swapped the cog/spacers and Avid rotor onto the stock rear wheel with it's bolt-on axle and loaded up. So basically I ran one handbuilt wheel up front with a 2.1" tire that's actually more like a 2.3"er,and the stock wheel/tire out back.

Lotta pushing,between my son being a little over his head on some spots of the trail,my outta-shapedness,and the stock 33 x 18t gearing (it's a steep,technical,hilly trail,but the end is one mutha of a singletrack descent). Granted,I have my parts box stem/bars,seat post,front wheel/tire,bb7's and Manitou Drake fork,but despite it feeling a bit heavy lifting it into the repair stand,it felt light and nimble on trail,halfway down that long tricky descent I forgot I was on a new bike at all,let alone one so inexpensive...from me for an aluminum framed bike,that's high praise indeed. I'm happy with it...that WTB Speed V saddle really fit my bum well too,I may snag one next trip to the LBS (when I go to pick up my Surly 22t cog and new chain) for my CX bike (which gets the most mileage,being my road-ish bike)...I may put it off a bit,the Wife's car's tranny died this week,we'll see.

I shot a few pics,but as 0525 comes early every school morning (kids ),I may not get em posted up until tomorrow,I still have to unload the van of bikes,LOL,depends on how tired I am (as it's 0009 hours here right now),LOL!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Some pics from today's ride

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-monday%3B-april-22-2013-001.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-monday%3B-april-22-2013-002.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-monday%3B-april-22-2013-004.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-monday%3B-april-22-2013-005.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-monday%3B-april-22-2013-011.jpg
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oh man, that looks like fun. Makes the 1 sq mile of desert I did my shake down run in seem like a joke. I can't wait until my son is old enough to come riding with me, those are memories that stick for a lifetime.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    It was,he complained a bit,but hopefully he'll remember these rides as well and fondly as I will
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It was,he complained a bit,but hopefully he'll remember these rides as well and fondly as I will
    Awesome!

I'm sure he will remember them! This will be my son's 3rd season on the mountain bike and on the trails with dad... chipped teeth and some hard falls didn't dissuade him and the whole journey has been a BLAST! Its been a great, fun journey and just last week he did his first rock garden! He's already asking to tag along on a couple of bike-packing trips...!! I think he just wants to share in something that I'm passionate about and it makes him feel like a part of it...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Not trying to copycat you,but it fits...Awesome!!!

I had him on some light,EASY trails last year,lotsa rail trailin',and he put in a tad bit under 1,000 road miles around town with me. I think he was a bit pissed about the trail ride though,I asked if he wanted to ride around today,he snapped back "Daddy...I'm NOT riding again the rest of the week,I told you" :P We'll do about 15 miles of the VA Creeper hopefulyl Saturday,he's looking forward to an "easy spin" with a pic nic in the middle,complete with Nintendo DS for him,and a speel reading the Kindle for me
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Took the boy out on an "Advanced" loop this evening. He's a natural when he forgets to fear rocks/roots/etc. We did 3 laps,and this ol Dad was thoroughly worn out (though I didn't let him know it it was getting dark fast anyways,no lights ),I suspect (as evidenced by his going to sleep as SOON as he got out of the shower,LOL) he was as well.
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-001.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-002.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-003.jpg
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-006.jpg

Now,on the first lap,I whooped and hollered for joy as I bombed this one rocky section with built in launch ramps (out of the rocks),and told him to walk the section. On lap 2,he wanted to know "a safe-ish way " to cross em. Now,he didn't work up the nerve to try it (granted,he is almost due a bigger bike/wheel size),and he was supposed to be watching,I didn't realise he was filming until I passed him,or I woulda bombed and launched again (or made a killer wipeout vid one,LOL!),but he's pretty proud of his vid shooting abilities now,so here goes...

All my riding buds from the old place (the one what burned in '11 before we moved out this way) used to jokingly call me "The Machine",cause they'd be worn the heck out after a atrail day with me on an SS (only cause that competetive streak of mine never let me back off no matter how badly it hurt,and never let em see it,LMBO! )....today,dear ol Dad was breathing harder,and more frequently than the Boy was,but you can't tell him I called him a Mini-Machine
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2010

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

Well the bike is still out of stock. Been hunting my local clist and found what I think is a great deal on a 2012 redline monocog flight 29er. I'm getting it at 450 which is half the price of it new. Won't need to upgrade brakes. So i think its worth the extra cash. Plus I live in FL. So I would have had to pay tax with the G29. Guess this is my last post in this thread!!! Happy trails everyone!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Well,y certainly can't go wrong with a Flite for that price,my friend,nice score You don't have to be a stranger to the thread,drop in from time to time

Man...I'm feeling the after affects (with my spinal injuries and) from getting back on aluminum today,LOL! NOT that it rides horribly (at least with the Drake fork,it does ride better than I remember aluminum riding,it's been a few years since I swithced to all steel frames). It could be just normal wear and tear on my old self,but if it continues over then next couple months,I may have to find myself another steel frame and swap everything over (I'm thinking something Surly)...I have pushed myself a bit this week (not only on the bike,mind you,it's been a long week and I'll leave it at that),so fingers crossed,LOL!

I meant to add that with all the climbing on my local and local-ish trails,that Surly 22t cog is a godsend,making the final ratio 33 x 22t,$30 well spent it was
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Well I've now put several rides behind me and wanted to give an update report.

Being the first time I've ridden a bike in the last 16 years or so, my "experience" with MTB is obviously pretty much nil. With that said, coming from a noob point of view... I could not be any happier with the bike. It does exactly what I want it to do. I've taken it on some rocky trails, performed flawlessly if I actively picked my route. I've gone on fast and flowy single track, once again it was a dream. I've done a fairly limited amount of climbing so far simply because I'm working on my lung conditioning in the flatter trails.

I'm sure for the veteran riders out there, I can see how the lower end components and heavy aluminum frame would be enough to puke in your mouth. For us newbies out there, just wanting to put some trail time in and have some fun... it does everything that is asked of it and if your engine can hang I have no doubt you could keep up with your big budget buddies.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Good review,and I'm glad you're loving it,my friend

Note that I am kinda an "experienced rider" like you spoke of (been mtn biking since the late 80's),I certainly wouldn't "puke in my mouth" at it for any of it's components,the only complaint (which might be too strong a word,I love mine too) I had about it's frame was a personal note,I broke my neck in 2 places back in '01 and mangled pretty much te rest of the spine all the way down,I simply said it was borderline stiff for me personally
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2013

wORTH UPGRADING?

So I bought a g29ss... loved it so much I bought a much nicer SS. Now I need to convert my new SS to a 1x10 for an upcoming xterra (scared to do it on a ss).

I've got some really nice wheels that I'd love to put on my Gravity. My question is, Is the frame worthy of serious upgrades (new wheels, fork and brakes)? I know the bb is junk but hope it's ok for a year or two. Should I buy a fork and brakes and move the wheels to the g29? Or is this like putting lipstick on a pig and do I need to look at a new Frame, bb and cranks as well?

Thanks!
    (I love the gravity and don't mean to belittle it, but is the frame good enough to put some money in, or should I love it for whAT It was meant to be and pony up some more if I wnat a lighter, nicer ss?)

Bike for the heck of it!
    Hi all,...

I just managed to get a black G29 SS off of a highly rated seller on eBay. I ordered the 17", as I'm about 5'9". I also ordered the Origin8 Chain Tensioner as well (thanks to you guys!!!). I can't wait to get this bike,...since one of my current rides is down, and I need a bike with some BALLZ!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    So I bought a g29ss... loved it so much I bought a much nicer SS. Now I need to convert my new SS to a 1x10 for an upcoming xterra (scared to do it on a ss).

I've got some really nice wheels that I'd love to put on my Gravity. My question is, Is the frame worthy of serious upgrades (new wheels, fork and brakes)? I know the bb is junk but hope it's ok for a year or two. Should I buy a fork and brakes and move the wheels to the g29? Or is this like putting lipstick on a pig and do I need to look at a new Frame, bb and cranks as well?

Thanks!
    (I love the gravity and don't mean to belittle it, but is the frame good enough to put some money in, or should I love it for whAT It was meant to be and pony up some more if I wnat a lighter, nicer ss?)
    Personally I won't be putting any money into this bike that I couldn't easily swap to a better bike. Meaning that if I decide to upgrade the brakes (possible) and switch to clipless (eventually) I can swap the stock parts back on and use the good stuff for a new build. In your case, I probably wouldn't put any money into it unless you planned to build a totally new bike at some point using these parts as a "jump start".

DFMBA.org
    BD has these in stock again. I'm 6'1.5" with a 32" inseam and I'm torn between the 19" and the 21". My last Felt HT was a 19.5 and my current Giant is a 20", both 29ers. Any advice?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    These tend to run a little smallish for the advertised size (my 17.5" did anyways,I could have easily ridden a 19" at 5'9" with 32" inseam)...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    BD has these in stock again. I'm 6'1.5" with a 32" inseam and I'm torn between the 19" and the 21". My last Felt HT was a 19.5 and my current Giant is a 20", both 29ers. Any advice?
    The specs say 32.1" standover height for the 21", so I'd definitely get the 19".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    I'm 6'1 with a 32" inseam and got the 19", fits great.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't have much time on mine yet but definitely happy with my purchase and happy to be back riding again! Rear wheel needs to be trued badly, but beyond that all went together nice and easy and rides great on short rides. Once I have everything tuned/dialed in I'll be getting some more time on it!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Sweet! Casn't wait to see dirty pics of it
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Hello everyone. I am ordering my first 29er. and trying to decode between the rigid or fs bikes. Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes or Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

My concern is im at 250# now (was 280 5 months ago working on getting to 200). Im assuming the suspension fork will be too soft for me and i will need to replace it so i might as well save 50 bux and start with the rigid.

I currently ride a Gary Fisher mullet ss around town, easy singletrack, local small dirt jumps, and skateparks. the fork on this is ok but on the trails but too soft in the park. I am not sure how it compares in quality to the fork on the gravity.

Thanks for any input as i would like to order today.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I would definately save the 50 bucks and buy the rigid,then look for a quality used fork on CL or fleabay. The RST fork offered on the suspended model of the G29 is best suited to light offroad and nothing resembling technical singletrack. The stanchions or scrawny lik eback in the 90's. It would be a very decent fork for rail trails or a light weight beginning on moderate terrain,but at 250# it's strength would be suspect. You may wind up spending a few more $ on a good used fork,but it'd be a few $ well spent,IMO. Besides,you may ride the rigid and actually like it,many do (I MYSELF prefer a good steel rigid fork,I'm just not so much able to ride rigid these days with old spinal injuries).

FWIW,I was on the fence about the suspended model (before deciding to sell a frame,feeeing up my Manitou fork for the G29),because of said old injuries,and I'm 160lbs soaking wet,if that helps.

I hope that helps and helps in time,enjoy it Brother
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Thanks, i just tried to order but the 15.5 and 17.5 rigid are out of stock. Time to decide if i wait or not.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I just now looked for myself,all sizes in rigid are available in all three color choices....

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    They show but when you click "checkout with paypal" you get an error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your item(s) sold out

Your item(s) sold out

We're sorry, the following item(s) isn't available at this time:
    GRAV G29 wt ||WebSale
    Item number: D G29 white 15.5M
    Options: Size/Color: 15.5inch Wh…Size/Color: 15.5inch White
    Size/Color: 15.5inch White

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Ah,man I'm sorry Not interested (or are they gone too...) in the other colors?

Shot you a PM
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    i checked all colors in 15.5 and 17.5 for the rigid. I ordered the hardtail in green hope to have it soon

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_oma#692 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am ordering my first 29er. and trying to decode between the rigid or fs bikes. Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes or Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

My concern is im at 250# now (was 280 5 months ago working on getting to 200). Im assuming the suspension fork will be too soft for me and i will need to replace it so i might as well save 50 bux and start with the rigid.

I currently ride a Gary Fisher mullet ss around town, easy singletrack, local small dirt jumps, and skateparks. the fork on this is ok but on the trails but too soft in the park. I am not sure how it compares in quality to the fork on the gravity.

Thanks for any input as i would like to order today.
    Brandon: thought I would chime in on the fork. I have this same fork on my DB Overdrive and while it's not a Reba (like on my IH Warrior Pro), it's not too shabby either. I'm 6-2/215 and it works fine. That said, Suntour has a trade up program where if you have a new bike with a Suntour front suspension and you are not happy with it, you can upgrade at dealer cost. I have not done it, but it makes for a very sweet deal and will save you some $$$. Reps name is Andrew and his contact number is (360) 737-6450. He can give you the details. Good luck. The model I am interested in is the Raidon for my 29er. Another thread also mentioned a rep named Nick.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    jimx200: Thank you,I mistakenly called it an RST,but it is indeed a Suntour (egg on face). I'm glad you chimed in on your thoughts about the fork too,if memory serves,all we had so far was speculation and edumicated guestimates on how it would perform,that you're closer to Brandon's size than I am and it's decent for you means I wish now I'd ordered a matte black or blue hardtail,LOL,and I would have had an extra fork laying around for a future project (my Manitou). Thanks for the info on Suntour as well,while it doesn't directly affect me with my G29,it's good to know for those that it does,and who knows I might own one down the road too (with more confidence thanks to your input

Brandon,congradulations,Brother,you'll have a blast on it. These may not be high end by any stretch of the words,but having mtn biked since the late 80's and having owned several bikes costing 6-7 times as much in that time,I've never owned a bike that made me 6-7 times as fast,or made me 6-7 times happier than I am with mine so far (even if it is a bit heavy and stiff on my old spinal-crap)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a budget 29er, and would appreciate some advice about the sizing. The two models I'm interested in are Gravity 29Point1 and Motobecane Elite Trail.

I'm a 5' 3" with 30" inseam female, and according to the geomtry charts of these two bikes it looks like the 15.5" or 17.5" of the Gravity will fit me while Elite size 15.5 might be too big.
    So my questions are:
    - Did I get it correctly?
    - Has anyone my height tried any of these bikes and can give me feedback about the sizing?

Thanks for the help!!

(these are the links for the geomtry charts
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products..._700c_geo.html
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...y_29er_geo.gif

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Firstly,welcome to MTBR,nice to meet you

I'm a bit different size than you and have not ridden either bikes in small (only the G29 at all,actually,so bear my comments on that one). I am 5'9" tall with a 32" inseam and normally ride an 18-19" on a 26" wheeled bile,but 17.5"-18" on a 29"er,so naturally I ordered the 17.5" even though BD's charts show it a bit on the smallish side of 17.5". That said,having ridden it for a few weeks now,while I am pleasantly comfy on a compact frame,I could have easily fitted a 19",maybe even a bit better.

What I'm saying is,all geometry charts aside,my experience is the Gravity G29 series are a bit compact compared to other manufacturers bikes of similar sizing that I've owned/ridden (from Trek to Rocky Mtn to Vassago,for example). My thoughts (not advice,only you can decide what your preferances are) are if you like things a bit compact,go for the 15.5",it ou like a bit more room to stretch out,I'd go for the 17.5".

Not being nosey,what state are you in,if you're close to here,you're welcome to test ride my 17.5" and make a more informed decision,I'm in eastern TN (in the bordertown on TN/VA).
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Woohoo UPS will drop off my bike tomorrow!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    AWEsome!!!

Put a tad bit over 15 miles on mine today on mostly technical singletrack (all singletrack,most of it technical ),longest ride on trail so far this year (I'm slacking in '13 ) and longest ride on the G29. Still a bit on the stiff side for me personally (spinal injuries,remember? that doesn't mean it will be for anyone else),but so far so good,still bearable. I've probably said this before,they got the handling/geometry on this thing just right for my riding style,handles great,not "great for a dirt inexpensive bike",just great in general...not exactly as sweet as the Jabberwocky I built from the frame up back in '11,but certainly great. Granted,I did swap on a lot of higher end bits from the parts stash,but a poorly designed frame would still ride like a poorly designed frame even with top level parts,BD done did good methinks,she rails corners,takes switchbacks like a mtn goat (uphill or down),and never loses composure unless the rider does
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thank you longhaultruck for the reply, it happened to be very useful as you are the same size as my SO. Also great thanks for the invitation! (I live in CA). eventually I just emailed BD and asked them about the sizing, they were surprisingly helpful.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    You're very welcome,sorry there's around 2,500-3,300 miles betweenst us,LOL,so no test ride I guess :P

I've found BD to have been helpful,even the two previous times I'd owned a used BD bike not bought from them. Mail order bike buying may always be mail order bike buying (and I am a "support your LBS" kinda guy),but they are pretty decent,and their prices are good for what you get-I'd even buy a upper end BD bike for it's parts if I had a killer frame (say,custom Ti) in need of parts,often times they're less expensive than a parts group (not always,but often). So'd you order one?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Time for me to see how the customer service is. I just unpacked my bike and the frame is cracked where the left seatstay meets the seat tube.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Wow,I'm sorry to hear that :madman

I have no doubts that they will take care of it,my friend. Getting hold of them via email may not be as fast as a phone call,but they have always been good to me in that dept,and that's them knowing I had bought those 2 bikes second hand (one was actually paid forward to me by a good friend met here on MTBR)...meaning,they didn't even HAVE TO talk to me,but they took care of me. Hope they get you going fast
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Time for me to see how the customer service is. I just unpacked my bike and the frame is cracked where the left seatstay meets the seat tube.
    They've been super helpful to me, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by balsami View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a budget 29er, and would appreciate some advice about the sizing. The two models I'm interested in are Gravity 29Point1 and Motobecane Elite Trail.

I'm a 5' 3" with 30" inseam female, and according to the geomtry charts of these two bikes it looks like the 15.5" or 17.5" of the Gravity will fit me while Elite size 15.5 might be too big.
    So my questions are:
    - Has anyone my height tried any of these bikes and can give me feedback about the sizing?

Thanks for the help!!

(these are the links for the geomtry charts
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products..._700c_geo.html
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...y_29er_geo.gif
    I'd prolly lean towards 17.5", but hard to know for sure as everybody has different length arms, torso and legs therefore more fitment info is good. Try this: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

I'm 6'2" and riding 21" Nashbar 29er SS...it is a more compact fit than some with great geometry, but I love it just like giant bmx bike and rides great! Was going to suggest calling or emailing BD and having them help you directly with fit, but see you've already done that. Post up when your bike arrives!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Sounds like a bad weld caused the crack.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Just checked my email and the replacement bike should be on the way tonight. I got lucky getting the old one to ups lastnight. They closed at 6:30 and i was able to drop it off at 7:00. I am guessing I will not get it until Wednesday because of the 3 day weekend.

mtbr member
    Can someone please measure the headtube length on a 15.5 frame for me? i am looking at a used fork cut down to 170mm and want to be sure it is enough to get at least one spacer under the stem.

mtbr member
    Bike number 2 has smaller cracks but on both seat stays. Glad you guys had better luck.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsedOut View Post
    In your case, I probably wouldn't put any money into it unless you planned to build a totally new bike at some point using these parts as a "jump start".
    That's exactly what I did... my g29 was 23lbs and a pleasure to ride but now time to upgrade the frame.

Upgrades to make the g29ss more awesome in order of impact....

upgrade brakes
    upgrade rear wheel (w single speed cassette and new tugs)
    upgrade pedals
    carbon fork
    upgrade saddle
    upgrade front wheel
    upgrade bars (flat)
    tubeless
    upgrade seat post
    Rustoleum paint job (was after a budget, ghetto look, didn't want gloss black and decals).

Now parting out g29ss...- message me if you want a list of g29ss and upgraded parts for sale, including really nice rear wheel upgrade, 17.5 frame and fork, before they hit ebay next week

mtbr member
    Can someone please measure the headtube length on a 15.5 frame for me? i am looking at a used fork cut down to 170mm and want to be sure it is enough to get at least one spacer under the stem.
    My 15" frame headtube is 139mm so a 170mm fork would be a fine fit.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Hi All,

So my questions are:

Thanks for the help!!
    I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and bought the 15.5" (frame only) to replace my rock damaged 19" frame. The wheel-base is the same on both with the 15.5 simply having a much lower top tube. I know that they use a shorter handlebar stem on the smaller framed bike to bring the bars closer to the seat. I like the lower top tube and have not had any problems at all by riding the smaller frame so my vote for you is to go with the smaller frame. Another lady on here is just about your size too and I think she would agree.
    I need to ride more...

Bike for the heck of it!
    I finally road my G29 today. Here's what I think about it. It's slow compared to what I'm used to, but the lack of gears is fine for some climbing. Eventually I'll change to higher tooth rings, but it shall remain a SS.

Now, I'll mostly (80%) ride in the streets in NY, and this baby handles bumps & potholes like a trooper!!! But, the handlebars will need to lose about 1.5-2 inches on each end. They're too wide to ride next to traffic, and I have no other way to go but street.

There are a few things I'm going to swap out ASAP though, and that's the seat post, pedals, and the front fork. The seat post is at max, and I want a longer one to keep from cracking the frame. The pedals are okay, but I have big feet & want a wider more bmx style pedal. These are Meh!!! And as for the fork, too close to my feet when turning - not kool. But, I'm going low tech and staying with a FS free fork.

Overall I like it, but I expected a few necessary upgrades before purchasing it. I read through this great thread and got a lot of info,... And I'm thankful for the help.

Oh, I will upgrade the disc brakes eventually - not the greatest. They'll do for now,... And I actually find the stock WTB seat comfy!!!
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    The G29 SS back in stock. Anybody notice the new addition.
    The new G27five SS Save up to 60% off new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I also noticed the addition of the 27.5 SS. However if you look at the pictures closely, it looks like they just put 27.5 wheels on the 29er frame. I could be wrong in my assumption, but that's the way it looks. I'm not sure how much that will affect handling on the bike if it wasn't designed for that wheel size.

mtbr member
    I was thinking that as well, but without actual measurements for the chain-stays and wheelbase can't tell by just pictures.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Bike number 2 has smaller cracks but on both seat stays. Glad you guys had better luck.
    Crap! What's the status now?

mtbr member
    I also noticed the addition of the 27.5 SS. However if you look at the pictures closely, it looks like they just put 27.5 wheels on the 29er frame. I could be wrong in my assumption, but that's the way it looks. I'm not sure how much that will affect handling on the bike if it wasn't designed for that wheel size.
    I thought the same thing but then thought that would put the bottom bracket too close to the ground. I took a closer look at the 27.5 and the 29er photos and noticed that the chain stay angle on the 27.5 is closer to horizontal than on the 29er. My level app shows 5.3 degrees on the 27.5 and 7.8 degrees on the 29er. The fork lengths also appear to be different between the two so it looks like a wheel size specific frame.
    I know this was not a very scientific measurement process but there doo appear to be some real differences.
    I might have to try one, hmmmm
    I need to ride more...

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    I thought the same thing but then thought that would put the bottom bracket too close to the ground. I took a closer look at the 27.5 and the 29er photos and noticed that the chain stay angle on the 27.5 is closer to horizontal than on the 29er. My level app shows 5.3 degrees on the 27.5 and 7.8 degrees on the 29er. The fork lengths also appear to be different between the two so it looks like a wheel size specific frame.
    I know this was not a very scientific measurement process but there doo appear to be some real differences.
    That's how it looked to me too...try one!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Intro. Post

This is my first post on this forum. After reading this thread and the review of the G29 in Dirt Rag magazine, I decided to order a Gravity-G29 SS with a 21" frame. I will post again once I have had a chance to evaluate the bike.
    Last edited by REV7; 06-13-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: type O

Bike for the heck of it!
    After riding my 29er I don't want a smaller wheel size. It was perfect for my street ride where control & hitting bumps were concerned. I'd be afraid the smaller wheel size would take away from that. That's even before I make some changes.

Still, it's a sweet little ride.
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    indeed, I also ride in the city. Philadelphia streets are riddled with broken glass and other sharp random goodies, topped off with trolly tracks and potholes. I haven't had a flat since I got this thing, and it rolls right over any obstacles. worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Definitely a different frame. The geometry is posted for it now.

mtbr member
    Tockit, your post brings back memories. I grew up in Philly and remember cobblestones & trolley tracks. Still got a faint scar from crashing on them in the snow too. Rode all through the Fairmount Park trails in High School and miss it.
    I need to ride more...

DFMBA.org

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

Quote Originally Posted by TManiac View Post
    The specs say 32.1" standover height for the 21", so I'd definitely get the 19".
    Thank you.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Go to a bike shop. i thought I HAD to have a 21" frame, and when I got on one it felt way to big. I ordered the 19" frame and I'm 6'3.5". Wondering if I should order the 17.5" frame with shock so I can have it in matte black. (they're out of 19" in matte black)

edit: nahhh I'm keeping the stiff fork 19".

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So I ordered the G29 in 19" FRIDAY from bikesdirect.com, and today find out they are out. I'm think it was in stock and they sold it. They really suck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    They are good about answering emails in the morning like once...then no reply for 2 days...EVERY TIME. It took since Friday to sort out my wife's order change from the G29 to the G29FS, and but they still could have shipped my bike...or at least not sold it. Now I either get a 17.5" which is to small, or a 21" which is to big. Yes I'm petty because I want black.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice! I'm getting the 17.5" even though I'm 6'3.5".

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My wife's 15.5" G29FS came in, and I fit! (seat in pic is set for my wife) I like the frame...it's so BMX. Turns out they are out of the 17.5 also, so I'm getting a matching matte black FS. I locked out the fork and took it for a spin until my legs were done.

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Before the bike came in I got to researching upgrade parts for an ultimate SS. CK hubs ect ect. I was reading about how the CK engages much sooner...bahhhhhh

No thanks...I love my Gravity! This is a quality bike at a bargain. I'll save my $2500 plus thank you very much.

mtbr member
    What size seat post clamp does the G29 use? I have a 17.5" coming on Monday and want to order some different color parts for it ahead of time.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am loving my new white G29.
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-export-7.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-export-8.jpg

More photos of my Bikesdirect G29 SS with a review of the parts I got.

I have read some many posts, what is a good gear to get for faster flat riding? I don't mind pumping up small hills (or large I guess). And if I get a different gear, do I need a new chain?

Thank you!
    Adam

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice! On another thread, I posted about having problems pulling the front wheel up, and someone said getting a shorter stem would help. I didn't know what they meant, until I looked up your part. Does it help you pull up wheel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ceramite View Post
    I am loving my new white G29.

Name:	export-7.jpg 
Views:	1826 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	810178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-8.jpg 
Views:	2277 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	810179

More photos of my Bikesdirect G29 SS with a review of the parts I got.

I have read some many posts, what is a good gear to get for faster flat riding? I don't mind pumping up small hills (or large I guess). And if I get a different gear, do I need a new chain?

Thank you!
    Adam
    I see you have 25.4 mm handlebars, and a 22.2 mm stem. How do those fit? I found some handlebars I want on amazon that are also 25.4 mm and either a 31.8 mm Fun MZX2 MKII stem, or 22.2 mm like yours I want but I don't know if they'll fit.

Amazon.com: Retrospec BMX Style Bicycle Handlebars for Fixed-Gear/Single-Speed/Mountain/Commuter and Freestyle Bikes, Black: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you! I am a biking noob, I don't know if it will help get the front wheel up. I could see how having the bars closer would give you more leverage.

Don't have faith in what I say, but here is what I think. There are a few parts that have to match up. I will list it out below just so I can think it "out loud".

First is the Headset, the bike comes with one that is 1 1/8.

So you have to find a stem that fits that. The stem that comes with the bike is 90mm long, and by looking at the handlebars we can tell the thickness is 31.8 off the stock bike.

Now I got the Funn Stem that clamps onto the 1 1/8. It is shorter facing out at 50mm, and has a much smaller gap for holding bars, I can use 22.2mm (with shims) or 25.4mm.

The bars you linked to have a 25.4 clamp, so I don't think it would fit the stock stem since the original bars are 31.8. But the FUNN MZX-2 looks like it would take the bigger handlebars like to stock ones.

As far as my bars fitting to the stem I think the info is weird.
    DMR Braced Cro-Mo Wingbar | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Under the description it says 22.2 or 25.4. The way the bars are in there now there is a slight gap between the back of the stem and the face plate, but fits perfect without shims. The hold is tight, the bars wont budge.

Wow, I am confused now. Time for coffee!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the breakdown. I ordered the FUNN MZX-2 since it's 31.8, but am going to try that with the stock handlebar.

On another note...I want to take a link or two out of the chain. Can that be done on the stock chain, or do I need a new one with a master link? Come to think of it, I guess I could do it with a chain tool. I used to have one...but that was like 1988! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So looking for a chain tool I see that some tools work with BMX type 1/8 or 3/16 chains, but not 3/32 chains. I can't tell which chain is on the G29. Can someone tell me which chain it is?
    Thanks!

Edit: I went to the Gravity website and found it's a KMC Z-410 chain, so I googled that and found it's 1/8.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown. I ordered the FUNN MZX-2 since it's 31.8, but am going to try that with the stock handlebar.
    You need a stem that has a 1 1/8" clamp for the steer tube of your fork. The Funn stem you listed is a direct mount downhill stem and will not fit your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    You need a stem that has a 1 1/8" clamp for the steer tube of your fork. The Funn stem you listed is a direct mount downhill stem and will not fit your bike.
    Are you sure, the description says 1 1/8". I see it says downhill and didn't notice that before. Assuming it will fit, how would it being downhill affect me? I don't want to get the wrong part.
    Thanks!
    Greg

Edit:Funn MZX2 MKII Light CNC Stem 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How does she like it? My girl is interested in getting one after seeing mine. It looks like the frame is so small there isn't room for a water bottle cage on the vertical frame tube. Is that right?

Thanks.

My wife's 15.5" G29FS came in, and I fit! (seat in pic is set for my wife) I like the frame...it's so BMX. Turns out they are out of the 17.5 also, so I'm getting a matching matte black FS. I locked out the fork and took it for a spin until my legs were done.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	2204 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	809890

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Entouragegeek78 View Post
    How does she like it? My girl is interested in getting one after seeing mine. It looks like the frame is so small there isn't room for a water bottle cage on the vertical frame tube. Is that right?

Thanks.
    She likes it so far after a short ride. I just checked and you're right, there are no mounting screws for a vertical water bottle, only on the bottom tube.

An update, I ordered a Truvativ stem, and ODI Rouge grips. Also a chain tool to shorten the chainstay and get that front wheel up.

Amazon.com: Truvativ 40 0-Degree 42 Height 31.8 1-1/8 Hussefelt Stem (Blast Black): Sports & Outdoors

Odi ODI Rogue Bicycle Grip Bonus Pack (Black/Silver) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Now parting out g29ss...- message me if you want a list of g29ss and upgraded parts for sale, including really nice rear wheel upgrade, 17.5 frame and fork, before they hit ebay next week
    Build Kit for upgraded g29ss for sale (all disassembled)
    $210 + Actual shipping from 35242

Includes:
    *17.5 frame (painted matte sand, some marks from handling and fitting brakes)
    *FSA Seatpost (lighter than the iron pipe they sent as stock)
    *Single Speed specific rear wheel - Salsa Rims, Surley Hubs, ACS Crossfire freewheel (NICE wheel)
    *Bontrager 29-1 Expert rear tire (70% life remains)
    *Bontrager 'Earl' bars (lighter and stronger than stock) w bolt on grips
    *Park Power Spline removal/install tool
    *Origin8 Chain tensioner
    *Specialized 100mm stem (light) and stock 90mm stem
    *Stock WTB Prowler front tire (90% life remains)
    *Stock Saddle (WTB SpeedV) AND minimal (very light) Vader saddle
    *Stock Seatpost clamp
    *Stock Crank/BB (have this installed by LBS - threads are not stripped but generally VERY fragile and need to be chased w threading die)
    *Stock Front wheel (WTB SPEED DISC Rims w Formula sealed Hubs)
    *Stock Headset (Cane Creek)
    *Stock Fork (CroMo)
    *Stock Pedals

You add:
    *Pedals (stock pedals included, but they are heavy)
    *Fork (stock fork included, but it is rather heavy)
    *Tubes (2)
    *Chain
    *Brakes (you do NOT want the stock brakes)

You can end up w a SS that is MUCH lighter, faster and nicer than a stock g29SS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Build Kit for upgraded g29ss for sale (all disassembled)
    $210 + Actual shipping from 35242

Includes:
    *17.5 frame (painted matte sand, some marks from handling and fitting brakes)
    *FSA Seatpost (lighter than the iron pipe they sent as stock)
    *Single Speed specific rear wheel - Salsa Rims, Surley Hubs, ACS Crossfire freewheel (NICE wheel)
    *Bontrager 29-1 Expert rear tire (70% life remains)
    *Bontrager 'Earl' bars (lighter and stronger than stock) w bolt on grips
    *Park Power Spline removal/install tool
    *Origin8 Chain tensioner
    *Specialized 100mm stem (light) and stock 90mm stem
    *Stock WTB Prowler front tire (90% life remains)
    *Stock Saddle (WTB SpeedV) AND minimal (very light) Vader saddle
    *Stock Seatpost clamp
    *Stock Crank/BB (have this installed by LBS - threads are not stripped but generally VERY fragile and need to be chased w threading die)
    *Stock Front wheel (WTB SPEED DISC Rims w Formula sealed Hubs)
    *Stock Headset (Cane Creek)
    *Stock Fork (CroMo)
    *Stock Pedals

You add:
    *Pedals (stock pedals included, but they are heavy)
    *Fork (stock fork included, but it is rather heavy)
    *Tubes (2)
    *Chain
    *Brakes (you do NOT want the stock brakes)

You can end up w a SS that is MUCH lighter, faster and nicer than a stock g29SS!
    Hi, you have PM...

mtbr member
    I just got mine today and it came with two sets of chain adjusters. The ones installed were the regular ones that come bent to $hit. Thrown loose in the box was a set of better adjusters that are offset to keep them straight and work perfect, along with a little note "The chain adjusters on your bike work fine but these 'look' better", lol. Sounds like someone got a little pi$$y with all the complaints of bent adjusters.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I messed up. I already ordered the 203 gram truvativ stem, not even thinking about weight. Now I found a 45 mm FUN FUNDDURO 123 gram stem $59 Funn Funnduro Stem 2014 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Maybe my wife will like the truvativ....hmmmmmm I'm so bad

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Haven't been riding much for the last month (same ol same ol,old spinal injury flare up),went for a nice long-sh road ride with a 23 year old and my (11 year old ) son yesterday (I hit...gasp...40 last Sunday) on the CX bike,not as far outta shape as I'd feared (had no trouble keeping up with the youngin's ),so I'm anxious to hit trail on mine this week coming,either a long fats one or medium technical one.

No real point to this post,was just wonderin' how y'all was doing,wanted to check in
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Bike for the heck of it!
    I own 2 other geared bikes, and I've stopped riding them after using this to tool around the neighborhood. I really don't miss shifting,...it's so much fun!!! I just relax, enjoy, pedal, and GO!!! No real loss in speed over the long haul. I just stand up and use some muscle when I hit an incline,...easy as pie. Another week or 2 and it's time for Alley Pond Park & the bike trails. Sweet!!!
    Meh,...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Just scored one of those $170 On One Inbread frames (maybe the last one in 18" before th eprice got bumped...it was close),since the Gravity is a bit stiff riding for me,figure I'll pull all my good parts (what I have left,I sold off the G29's stock brakes,and my handbuilt wheels). Dunno what I'll do with it after that...I may hang it from the rafters and start buying parts to put the G29 back together stockish,and keep it for SS'ing and build up the Inbred 1x10...then again I may put the rigid fork back in the frame and sell the frame fork....IDK,I'm sleepy

If this dang rain stops long enough to,hope to still hit trail a couple last times on it
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I keep thinking about making this bike lighter starting with the wheelset...but I can't bring myself to spend the money. These wheels are so nice for the price! Great value with the Gravity!

Bike for the heck of it!
    I haven't been able to ride much myself. First rain, then ear infection, now my bladder is having issues again (I've had bladder cancer a few years ago). I'll be fine in a few days, but I can't ride due to the pain. Bummer!!!
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
    I haven't been able to ride much myself. First rain, then ear infection, now my bladder is having issues again (I've had bladder cancer a few years ago). I'll be fine in a few days, but I can't ride due to the pain. Bummer!!!
    Should try Genesis Mangosteen, and AZO's. A missionary in my church had cancer and got rid of it using mangosteen. My wife takes if for stomach problems and IBS. I take it for energy and health. Worth a shot. Might find it cheaper somewhere else.

Amazon.com: Mangosteen 100 - 32 oz - Liquid: Health & Personal Care

Bike for the heck of it!
    Should try Genesis Mangosteen, and AZO's. A missionary in my church had cancer and got rid of it using mangosteen. My wife takes if for stomach problems and IBS. I take it for energy and health. Worth a shot. Might find it cheaper somewhere else.

Amazon.com: Mangosteen 100 - 32 oz - Liquid: Health & Personal Care
    Apparently this shows lots of promise in not just cancer,...thank you!!!
    Meh,...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    In the stand...

...so there won't be many more rides on the G29 frame. It IS a decent frame,it's geometry is great in technical trails,it rides predictably,and handles very well,just a bit too stiff (uh...straight gauged aluminum ) for someone whose had their neck broken in the past,I can highly recommend this bike (even without all my higher end parts swapping) for someone in need of a basic budget friendly bike from a decent source

From yesterday's muddy rainy ride
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to say thx for the great posts. I have been obsessing with a new bike build for the last month or so and jumped on the G29er SS wagon. I'll have specs and pics up once it's all put together.
    Last edited by 200Duece; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi All!! Brand New to the G29 ride.. I just ordered a 21" Orange on Friday.. hope to get it this week.. I'm in Texas and I think they ship from Texas. I just got back into the sport after a 5 year hiatus.. I bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport disc 29er last month for my "main" bike and have been loving it... but after seeing this bike (especially at this price point) -- I've always wanted to try a singlespeed... so I bought this as bike #2!

Anywhoo.... quick question: Does anyone have a tutorial on switching out the break pads to the Organic ones.. only plan on doing this if the stock ones squeal. I'm ok if they aren't the best brakes in the word.. just can't stand squeal.... so -- anyone have a step by step thread? (Maybe I missed it).

Other thing -- anything special about installing the Origin8 Chain Tensioners? I already have those in the mail... just curious if they are easy / hard to install / use.

Overall, how hard is it to get used to a SS? First time riding one!

That's all for now! --- Thanks for any help in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I want some BMX pedals...what size pedals fit the gravity?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I want some BMX pedals...what size pedals fit the gravity?

Guessing 9/16? Me too.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Um....unless of some oddball piece,pedals are pretty much one size fits all Just remember they come side specific (a right pedal only fits the right side)
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Um....unless of some oddball piece,pedals are pretty much one size fits all Just remember they come side specific (a right pedal only fits the right side)
    I'm finding 9/16" and also 1/2" pedals. I'm debating between these assuming they fit, but I'm not sure if sealed bearings are worth almost double:

Amazon.com: Redline Lo-Profile Alloy Platform Pedals, Sealed Bearing, 9/16", Black: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Redline Lo-Profile Alloy Platform Pedals, Looseball Bearing, 9/16", Black: Sports & Outdoors

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Just called my trusty LBS to double check-"99% of any modern bike,1980 and up,other than some English bikes,will be 9/16" ". I knew this,as in nearly 30 years mtn biking (since around '86 or so),I've NEVER owned anything but,including swapping pedals from my full sized bikes onto my son's bikes (even the littlest 12" wheeled bikes,he's want to run bigger pedals". Order the 9/16"
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-green.jpg

Haven't been posting much lately but here's mine in green. Got bored with Black and decided to experiment. Also has an external bearing BB which I have not tried yet either. Maybe this weekend or even after work out at Hawes one night this week.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Green looks really good.

mtbr member
    Thanks, my friends hate it but I wanted a color that I don't see everywhere else and this seems to meet that criteria. The nice thing is that I can strip it down, shoot it with rustoleum, and reassemble in 2 evenings. might go with powdercoating if I settle on a color.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

fork upgrade

Here is a question for those that have swapped out the stock forks...

I have got the fork swapping procedure thing down. I had always worked with a standard headset and never a semi integrated one. The stock fork has a "Flare" that the lower race sits on. So that when it is all pulled together the bottom of the headset/bearing is covered from below(red circle in pic). The upgrade fork does not have this flare for the race to press onto. Just a regular steerer tube. So it looks like the bottom of the headset and lower bearings will have a gap where crap get in up in there. Is there an opening on your bike on the bottom of the headset where the fork buts up? I am probably over thinking this whole thing but the bearings are not sealed and I want to make sure they stay clean. I'd rather not have to pull my fork off every couple months to repack the bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-fork-flare.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks, my friends hate it but I wanted a color that I don't see everywhere else and this seems to meet that criteria. The nice thing is that I can strip it down, shoot it with rustoleum, and reassemble in 2 evenings. might go with powdercoating if I settle on a color.
    I would stick with the paint. The powder coating is relatively spendy. Or atleast by me it is.

mtbr member
    I have not even checked cost yet on powdercoat but probably won't do it anyway. I get a new scratch or chip on every ride anyway and when touch up is only a spray away it would be hard to justify a more exotic finish. Maybe when I build that Blinglespeed someday.
    What brand/model fork are you working with 200Duece?
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think it's funny I ordered this bike Friday to ship via UPS..... turns out the store is 20 minutes from my house!!!! LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got a free Salsa Cromoto Grande fork with my G29. There was a dent on the stock fork when it arrived.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bike stand

Curious to know about your bike stand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dr. Lily View Post
    Hey, look at that. I finally have 10 posts. Picture time!

In the wild:

Hanging in the garage. Remind me to tell you about my free homemade, portable bike stand:

Chaintugs. Should I be worried about the angle, or is this norma

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just called my trusty LBS to double check-"99% of any modern bike,1980 and up,other than some English bikes,will be 9/16" ". I knew this,as in nearly 30 years mtn biking (since around '86 or so),I've NEVER owned anything but,including swapping pedals from my full sized bikes onto my son's bikes (even the littlest 12" wheeled bikes,he's want to run bigger pedals". Order the 9/16"
    Great thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have not even checked cost yet on powdercoat but probably won't do it anyway. I get a new scratch or chip on every ride anyway and when touch up is only a spray away it would be hard to justify a more exotic finish. Maybe when I build that Blinglespeed someday.
    What brand/model fork are you working with 200Duece?
    I got the new Salsa fork painted and mounted up. There is a tiny bit of a gap that is exposing the bearing but it's way less then I thought it would be.
    Last edited by 200Duece; 07-16-2013 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    On the stock fork, the 'flare' as you call it is removable- that's your crown race. It's necessary to protect the bearings from grit and dirt. Use a thin screw driver and a mallet to gentle remove it from the fork. The part that comes off is black. It took a bit of gentle tapping from all sides to get it loose. Then it slides onto the new fork and is tapped down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    On the stock fork, the 'flare' as you call it is removable- that's your crown race. It's necessary to protect the bearings from grit and dirt. Use a thin screw driver and a mallet to gentle remove it from the fork. The part that comes off is black. It took a bit of gentle tapping from all sides to get it loose. Then it slides onto the new fork and is tapped down.
    Nope,

I am aware of what the race is. Where the race seats to the fork there is a flare. Look at the pic. I know the pic isn't the best but you can still see it flare out to be flush with head tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg

Guys... Just got my bike and finished building it .... I think I adjusted the breaks "ok". ... They seem decent... Even though its raining..

Question I have is... A). The chain tension seems very tight.... How do I fix that? (Loosen bolts and adjust tugnuts I assume)... And... B..

(My most serious question)... I feel like the rear hub is "tight"... Like... Spinning the wheel it feels tight (slight hissing / grinding noise.. Don't think it's the breaks)... But the hub itself seems "tight" and the wheel doesn't spin very freely... Or for long.... Any ideas how to loosen it up / fix it? I thought I saw a comment way back about the same issue... Please help!!! Otherwise..... Very happy with purchase!! Awesome bike!!! New pedals, grips and seat in the mail!!!

PLeASE help with this rear wheel issue.. Are the hubs just not good?? I don't want to have to bring it to LBS! ($$$$).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just as a quick note... At my lbs today.. Was checking out the redline pedals and half of them were 9/16 ... The other half was 1/2... This bike does take 9/16 though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are a ton of bmx and cruiser bikes that still use one piece cranks. Those accept the half inch pedals.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post
    There are a ton of bmx and cruiser bikes that still use one piece cranks. Those accept the half inch pedals.
    JUST telling you what the shop said,dude (2 other shops mirrored it-and then there's that I've never had issue swapping pedal between LOTS of bikes since the mid 80's personally,none of which were 1/2"....but then again,none were cruisers or BMX,but remember what forum we're on,there's not a BMX or cruiser forum here,so we were rightly talking about MTN bikes )
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 07-16-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Dannah,mad props,good looking bike

Not sure on the rear hub,didnt' have any issues with mine at all. It's been so long since I've messed with hubs myself I dont' want to mis-diagnose or tell you wrong-I CAN recommend you grab a copy of the latest edition of Zinn and the Art of Mtn Bike Maintenance book,found at Amazon or any decent book store can get it if they dont' have it,easy to use help and not expensive. Hope that helps
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! I was able to loosen the rear hub and it seems to be a bit better now...

Now I'm wrestling with adjusting these tektro brakes.. About ready to call it a day and take it to LBS for breaks.... Grrrrr!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nope,

I am aware of what the race is. Where the race seats to the fork there is a flare. Look at the pic. I know the pic isn't the best but you can still see it flare out to be flush with head tube.
    My bad, thought you meant the crown race. I use the cromoto grande fork and don't have any problems. The crown race should provide adequate coverage for the bearings, I think.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    They were a bit noisy on that one ride I used them for too...having a pair of (Avid) bb7's on the shelf,I didn't even bother trying,sold them on CL to a brand new rider,and made myself a new riding buddy in the process
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    JUST telling you what the shop said,dude (2 other shops mirrored it-and then there's that I've never had issue swapping pedal between LOTS of bikes since the mid 80's personally,none of which were 1/2"....but then again,none were cruisers or BMX,but remember what forum we're on,there's not a BMX or cruiser forum here,so we were rightly talking about MTN bikes )
    I get it. There are lots of other styles of bikes out there. And some with different components. I was just explaining where the half inch pedals come in. The topic was originally posted because people wanted to put "BMX" pedals on their new G29er. I am not disagreeing with what pedals are used on a mtn bike in the MTB forums. Just spreading a little general bike knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My bad, thought you meant the crown race. I use the cromoto grande fork and don't have any problems. The crown race should provide adequate coverage for the bearings, I think.
    did you just swap out the stock rigid fork or a sussy? The cromoto is about a inch longer drop out to race. It should change the bike geo a little. Did you change your bar height to compensate?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I get it. There are lots of other styles of bikes out there. And some with different components. I was just explaining where the half inch pedals come in. The topic was originally posted because people wanted to put "BMX" pedals on their new G29er. I am not disagreeing with what pedals are used on a mtn bike in the MTB forums. Just spreading a little general bike knowledge.
    Mine...probably sounded a bit harsh,wasn't intentional,apologies,freinds?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mine...probably sounded a bit harsh,wasn't intentional,apologies,freinds?
    Haha, BFF's

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    did you just swap out the stock rigid fork or a sussy? The cromoto is about a inch longer drop out to race. It should change the bike geo a little. Did you change your bar height to compensate?
    I swapped the stock rigid for the cromoto. I didn't adjust bar height as I felt pretty comfortable on it. I mostly swapped the fork to get rid of the toe overlap issue on the stock fork - and to save a pound or so.

Bike for the heck of it!
    9/16" BMX pedals are now on the way!!! Next stop, new front fork.
    Meh,...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Question on BARS:: The stock ones are curved up... So I ordered some straight bars.. I thought they would be the same length... But it turns out .... The stock are 660 mm and the ones I got are 600 mms .... How much of a difference will this make?? I'm a big guy.. 6"3 and I like the width of the stock bars.... Will the new ones (600mms) be too narrow?? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ps---- first ride on the G29 tonight .. And it was awesome!!! First time on a single speed and I was able to do the course without walking or stopping.. Super awesome! ... Brakes were pretty bad... But.. Whatever... It was FUN!!!!!! Addicted!! All this for $350!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Haha, BFF's
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannah View Post
    Question on BARS:: The stock ones are curved up... So I ordered some straight bars.. I thought they would be the same length... But it turns out .... The stock are 660 mm and the ones I got are 600 mms .... How much of a difference will this make?? I'm a big guy.. 6"3 and I like the width of the stock bars.... Will the new ones (600mms) be too narrow?? Thoughts?
    You are getting a bar that is over 2 inches shorter. I'm gunna guess that you'll notice the difference at first then get used to it. But it may never really make you happy. for your size i would think that you want parts proportional to you. return the bar and find some used bars on CL and figure out what is the best fit then spend the real money on a fancy new bar that is the best size for you

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bike rules!!

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpgAnyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-image.jpgCan I just say... How much I love this bike!?! New big, grippy platform pedals.. New grips... New race seat..

It's so freaking awesome.. Addicted.. Like it as much (if not more) over my other bike.. It's just more fun. Feels like a huge bmx!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1907 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	817503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	817505Can I just say... How much I love this bike!?! New big, grippy platform pedals.. New grips... New race seat..

It's so freaking awesome.. Addicted.. Like it as much (if not more) over my other bike.. It's just more fun. Feels like a huge bmx!
    Nice!
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    From orange to black to green. No idea what will be next after I shed some more paint on the local trails.Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-7-19-13-ride.jpg
    I need to ride more...

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Can I just say... How much I love this bike!?! New big, grippy platform pedals.. New grips... New race seat..

LOL, that's why I love my Nashbar SS 29er!

From orange to black to green. No idea what will be next after I shed some more paint on the local trails.
    Beautiful pic!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Still loving the bike! Been out a buncha times, riding it hard .... and im a big guy... no issues.. in fact, after I got it dialed in.. its been set it and forget it...

I ride, take it off the rack, repeat. Brakes holding steady.. no rubbing.... no squealing ...... love it! My poor other bike!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have an issue on mine that it seems that every time I ride, I have to tighten my chain a little bit. I'm using the stock bolt on wheels and the Redline chain tensioners. For instance before last night's ride, I had to tighten the chain down a bit. After the ride, it was loose again. There were only a few moderate climbs where I was really cranking on the pedals. The axle is tight and the tensioners are tight against the backs of the dropouts. Surely my legs aren't strong enough to stretch the chain that quick, so I don't know what else could be going on. Any help???

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Weird....I'm assuming you have the wheelnuts sufficiently tight in the dropouts (I mean,that's pretty obvious,but sometimes as a species we forget the obvious). Those chain tensioner-looking things that came with mine were only chain-tug-shaped-objects,they were useless...if you look back through this thread,some guys has really good luck with some aftermarket units (not very expensive). I know my Redline tugs wouldn't fit (someone modified a pair to work in the thread somewhere though),but the thing is,if you have a properly working pair on there,it's damn near impossible for it to slip forward in the drops...

Personally,I haven't ad issue (I'm only around 160lbs if that makes a difference) just tightening the hell out of the axle bolts into the dropouts (NOT so much as to cause damage ),never a mm of slippage,I'm not running any tensioners (nor did I on any of my previous SS's except the '02 Monocog,not the Vassago,the Surly's...).

Give that a try (extra torque on the axle nuts-to-the-dropouts),and maybe some aftermarket tugs. Anyone else have input?
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    three things to check:

one it could be the chain tensioners slipping, so make a line on the tensioner and frame with a marker so that they line up to each other and are perpendicular to the track ends. After you ride, check and see if they line up still. If not it could be the tensioners, which suck. I use the redline tensioners, which work okay if you use a slightly larger cog (20T versus 18T). If the lines still line up, then it isn't the tensioners. I also don't think you're stretching a chain that much.

two, it could be that there is play in the cog on the freehub body. I have a similar issue to you and I think it's due to the cog having just a little bit of play on the freehub body. Even a millimeter will add slack to the chain. To check this, get the chain tight and then squeeze the top and bottom of the chain towards each other while watching the cog. You might see it move ever so slightly. Sadly, I haven't figured out a good way to fix this. But you might try and endless brand cog as I hear they fit tighter.

third, it could be neither of these and you might check that the chainring is centered.

eventually, I gave up caring about it because my chain doesn't drop even with a little bit lower tension.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    I use the redline tensioners,
    Could I see a pic of em on yours? I've had mine for YEARS,so they may be newer designed ones from RL I haven't seen...mine were incompatable with the dropouts design

Thanks in advance
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I did have to modify the Redline chain tensioners to fit. I'll take a picture when I get home from work and post it. Putting a line on the tensioner and the frame to see if it moves is a great idea. I'll also check to see if there is any play in the rear cog. I did turn the cranks to see if there were any spots where the chain was tighter than others, and it seemed to be the same all the way around.

Yes, the stock tensioners are junk, and I tried running with no tensioners at all. It slipped on me after just a short ride. I didn't want to tighten them too much in fear of damaging something.

I'm thinking that it could just be all the power that I'm putting to the pedals I wish...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    When I first got mine,I had lots of upgrade parts lying around,including a sweet handbuilt pair of wheels (which sadly I sold shortly after....). I tried running them on it,but with their QR axles,kept getting slippage (even with the stock tensioner-shaped-devices properly installed),never had issue with the stock wheelset and the bolts pretty snug (I never checked the torque with a torque wrench,but they're damn tight on there,LOL)....maybe it's thanks to my ckicken legs having no power? (whatever happened to that "laughing" and "idea" smiley? )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast