Anyone ever change to SS without even trying it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone ever change to SS without even trying it?

Meaning, ever converted your bike to SS, or sold it and bought a SS bike without even experimenting with it first? Im thinking I would like it, but no one I know has a SS I can mess around on. To take the plunge, or not Hmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    I rode my geared MTB around in one gear for a day or two, and that was enough to convince me I would dig it. Plus memories of my BMX days.

Jim

The man who fell to earth
    Same here, leaving it in one gear first (took a little discipline)...then converting existing gearie bike...then buying first dedicated SS.

Although I was pretty darned confident I was going to like it before I even tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    I rode my geared MTB around in one gear for a day or two, and that was enough to convince me I would dig it. Plus memories of my BMX days. Jim

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    yo dude

Do it... try it... switch back if you hate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am in the process of doing this now, just waiting for my wheelset to arrive and I am SS'ing for the first time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    Meaning, ever converted your bike to SS, or sold it and bought a SS bike without even experimenting with it first? Im thinking I would like it, but no one I know has a SS I can mess around on. To take the plunge, or not Hmmmmmmm
    Kinda sorta...

I built up my first SS from spare parts and a free frame, rode it for while so I really didn't have any big investment in it. I then put gears on it, rode that for a while, then had the frame modified to make it a better SS. Of course the whole time I also had a geared bike to ride but I never tried riding anyone else's SS or riding my geared bike without shifting. Converting a geared hardtail is really cheap and if you don't like it you can get most of your money back out of the special parts by selling them on MTBR.

Recovering couch patato
    I built up my Surly Karate Monkey with pretty much a bling SS setup, before ever trying it for real. Yeah, tried parts of rides without shifting, but it wasn't the same. Never were sorry of getting the KM or building it as a SS.

Cubicle Fugitive
    Like most people I learned to ride waaay back when on a bike with one speed. But I built my first fixed-gear without ever having ridden one.

mtbr member

I blew the bank...

on a SS without ever trying it. There is a nice 17 mile trail about fifteen minutes from the house that I was getting tired of riding on my HT. I assumed the SS would be more challenging for that trail so I bought a SS specific frame. I started getting so dam excited about finishing the build that I stripped my HT for parts and have not touched in four months. I was skeptical about my knee (2 medial meniscus and ACL operations) and having a rigid SS but its no problem. I love riding the SS so much, I would not be biking nearly the amount I am now if I had not built this new ride. I hate to sound corny but it has inspired my to ride harder and train more. I am definitly happy I jumped into things head first!!! CK
    Truffle Shuffle

ali'i hua
    yup.

jumped in feet first with an on-one inbred and parts scavenged off a bianchi CUSS. now, the only bikes in the quiver that are on the "never sell" list are the SS's

Nat
    mtbr member
    That's how I did it. I converted a bike, certain I'd hate it due to the fact that singlespeeding is stupid. How wrong.

mtbr member

grew up on one, but it was small.

The adult exposure started four years ago on a trail ride where the derailur and hanger (non replaceable) were ripped off my bike by a stick. Well, "ripped", is a strong word but cracked and bent the hanger far beyound the capabilities of JBweld. I set up the bike as ss then and there.

- albert

AussieLostInNyc

Took the plunge

I had not ridden in nearly two years and I moved to NYC.
    Researched buying a giant VT and decided it was overkill for
    the trail reviews I had read and a costly exercise to go explore if there was no riding.
    Read the different threads and liked the concept of SS as my bike maintenece is shocking
    and I used to lose a derailuer every six weeks.
    From there discovered the 29'er concept and with my height at 6'3" and a hair I decided
    it was probably for me.
    Bought the KM and have run it SS and rigid the whole time.
    Found good places to ride and good people to ride with in jersey and am now a
    SS and 29'er advocate.

BUY ONE

gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

FIFI!
    rode bmx competitively 10 years ago, then got in on mt bikes and whined for a year or two of riding them about chains falling off and having to adjust derailleurs and all the noises and complexities. gave up biking for 8 years, got back into it last year and it was never really a question of getting a single speed or not. it was more like should i get into technologies that i didn't have previously like disc brakes and competent suspension forks.

been a bit under a year and i'm allready building up my third

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Singlespeed in a week (I hope)

I got a mountain bike (old Special'ed Hardrock of 1991 vintage) a couple weeks ago because I sold him a bike (of the comfort pursuasion) from the shop and he just wanted to ditch the bike. So now I am building it (my first real mountain bike) into a singlespeed. I've been saving up for a Karate Monkey for a while, but I unfortunately, it has taken me a while to save up on my low budget. I was thinking about buying another company's bike because they are much cheaper like a KHS, but unfortunately not too many companies make a bike that is larger than a 21". I was just lucky that the Specialized is a 21 and I can make it work for me. I think it is a pretty sweet deal.
    "We got brakes." - Friend/teammate's reponse to the cop's question, "What if the car stops?" after while being pulled over for drafting a car at 30mph.

Peace & Love
    Not exactly. But before jumping full on into SSIng (ie, buying expensive version) I bought a Surly off of ebay to see if I liked it...and I do. In fact, my new bike finally got shipped and will arrive Monday....I will probably put my Surly up on ebay/mtbr since I doubt it will get much use anymore....but it served my purpose very well, which was to be my guinea pig introduction to the cult

Down South Yooper

Me too

I had a slingshot frame converted to track dropouts before trying it, even on a geared bike. Then I stripped down my geared bike for parts, and was SS only for a few years. Have owned a SS ever since, although I have since made enough money to have more than one bike built at a time. Still have a blast on the SS though.

Plum

wannabee
    I picked an old gearie frame and am in the process of converting it. Never ridden one before. Anybody got a 1" threadless non suspension corrected fork with canti posts and a 7" steer tube? Cheap. GBB

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Soft of. Rode a guy's SS after races a few times in the late '80s. He was a fixture on the Oregon race circuit. Nearly twice my age and I could be sure passing and being passed by him a couple each race.

Decided I wanted a SS some day. But it had to be a purpose-build SS.

Bought a Voodoo Nzumbi in '99 and never looked back.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My wife and I did.
    Here she is after her first SS ride about 2.5 years ago. In a few weeks, she doing Shiggy's Cream Puff on her SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Pushing SSer
    Yeah, I guess. My primary ride was stolen. I had a skeleton bike in the basement, with some parts lying around. With some help from some friends, using an old XT short cage as a tensioner, and slapping this and that together, I created the Mutt. It was a hooooot. I am on my third SS in less than 3 years.

You won't be sorry, plus like others said, what have you got to lose?
    Mike
    Tuff Schist

I lean like a cholo!

I did

I tore the derailleur of my Kona Kula for the last time (I got very sick of eating drive trains) so I bought a Gusset SS kit and a Singulator and had at it. When the Kula broke I jumped at the chance when an Expolsif was offered to me as a warranty. Now no more tensioner!
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Professional Slacker
    Yes, but not entirely by choice. I'd just ordered my Steelman when I trashed my drivetrain on my Trek. I couldn't justify (read: afford) to replace the drivetrain after spending so much $$$ on the Steelman. To date, both the Steelman and Trek are now built up as SS and I have no geared bikes in the stable.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

mtbr member

You da man, Padre

I admire you Padre, such a lovely wife who's addicted to cycling, can't beat that!

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I converted a geared hardtail because of the hype in here. Since then ride the SS most of the time.

mtbr member
    I committed to it big time without ever trying it. I just knew it was for me. Went from a geared I.F. Steel Deluxe with a Rock Shox SID fork to a Dean Colonel single speed with a rigid fork. I'm a one bike guy and sold off the I.F. before I even ordered the Dean (talk about faith!).

That being said, I was not a hard sell -- borderline obsessed with BMX as a kid and raced alot. Never got it out of my blood. Have owned both 26" and 24" BMX cruisers over the years. Although I had been on mountain bikes for many years since then, I never really considered myself a mountain biker. When I saw someone riding a single speed for the first time it was hook, line, and sinker.

Old BMXers Never Die... They Go Singlespeed!

I like endos

if you don't want to spend thousands..

to get started, just scour ebay for a cheapo steel frame (I've seen them go for $150) and build it out of old parts you have or used parts from ebay. You could get into a singlespeed for less than $600 bucks! That's what I'd do, but I've just started building my singlespeed without ever riding a "true" singespeed. I rode my gearie in 1 for a few days then talked with my mechanic, who emphatically said I should go for it. So now I've got a frame, headset and seatpost. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm 100% sure I'm gonna love it.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

I wasn't Kung Fu fighting
    Jun 2005

Idea! saga of the SS

It took me 2 years to get into ss'ing. I tried the whole keep it in 1 gear thing, but my bike had all the same flaws, but was harder to ride. That put the kybosh on it for about 8 months. Then I converted an old frame using a singulator, and I hated it... afterword I realized I hated that frame as geared frame, why the h*ll would I like it as a ss? That put the kybosh on for about a year. I had been saving money for a new FSR... then I got a thought one day on the side of trail pulling stick out my bent deraill.

SO I took the plunge, instead of buying a full boinger, I took the cash and ordered a custom SS frame. I have no idea why, must have been divine inspiration, because now my crosser, and geared mtb have a coating of dust. I ride my SS almost exclusively. The grinding of derailleurs gives me a headache now.

mtbr member
    I did. I had a Foes FXC and saw a few people SSing. I decided I wanted to try it and got a Redline Monocog on E-bay cheap. A few months after getting the Monocog, I sold off the gearie and have been on an SS ever since. Now I am on an SS 29er and couldn't be happier.

sort of...

I was bikeless for several years out of college, after having my Hardrock stolen. I built up a Giant ATX-890 as a project during the end of the internet boom, back when ebay was a wonderland for dirt-cheap (full XT build kit, new ~$300) parts and all the dotcom shops were dumping inventory. Never been much of an XCer; I didn't really get bitten by the biking bug until last year when I discovered freeriding. All the drivetrain went to build up my Bullit, and left the old frame dormant. Became curious after reading SS footage in DirtRag, and eventually built the Giant back up with a rigid fork and a singleator. Since then, I've been hooked on both bikes- the similarities and contrasts between both disciplines have rekindled my interest in riding.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, went out and got myself a Rig sight unseen without ever trying a 29er or a singlespeed. It's a total blast. I did have a backup plan if I didn't like it though (move the rohloff over from the "old" bike). I doubt it'll ever come to that.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

GoVols
    Oct 2004

New question here. Maybe...

Been riding mountain bikes for approximately 2 years - first a hardtail, then a FS for the past year... pretty much know that bikes are a long term deal for me, and have been lurking on the SS forum for a while... Decided to order a complete IRO Mia to try it out - should arrive next week. Who knows if I will be as gung ho as most of the folks on this board, but for just over $600 I figured I should find out..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bought my Monocog brand new in 2003 and had never single speed mountain biked before at all. My thought at first was (LOL) that it would be hard to pedal, like riding in the big ring in the smallest cong, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how fast it was, how nimble it handled and so on. I, after ownning 3 full suspension and 2 hardtails, finally have a bike that feels perfectly natural to me.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I bought my Surly 1x1 frame off Mellowcat sight unseen and without ever having ridden an SS before OR ridden a geared bike without shifting. I loved it from the moment I rode it.
    Rode it in a 6 hour event 2 weeks after getting it and after having only ridden it about 3 times.

mtbr member

Kinda sorta

I haven't changed completely to SS-only, but I bought my first SS bike without ever trying one previosly.

After reading this forum for a few months, digging the whole idea and thinking back to my days on BMX bikes as a kid, I bought an 05 Monocog at the LBS for it's $419 MSRP.

Love it...Just love it... It gets about 50-60% of my riding time. Would be more but I don't get much time to ride lately, and sometimes just wuss out and go for gears.

But all things considered, when I look at the $1800+ FSR vs. the $419 Monocog hanging in the garage, most times I'll grab the SS..

i like to bicycle

both feet

i ordered a custom fit steel frame, disk only, non corrected, 9er, SS specific without riding more then 30ft on an SS or a 9er. man i'm glad i did because it changed my perspective on cycling in a bigger way then suspension or anything else i can think of...i was mentally ready for a simplier bike at the time and that's what i got.

Rider Found Dead

I'm doing just that ... right now ...

I've been intrigued by the SS idea for a while now, and I saw the Zion 853 EBB on sale for $299, so I decided to take the plunge. Building it up with some Truvativ SS cranks, Avid mech discs, a pair of new XT/Rhynolites and some parts I have lying around.

On either of my gearies, I can get up every hill on my regular ride. That's about to change, and I can't wait. Cheers to new challenges, even if they're probably going to kick the s4it out of me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Long time lurker, first time writer...
    I did it. I sold my 2004 Jamis XLT 2.0 to fund one sweet 1X1 build. Should have the bike this week. I tried the usual "one gear" thing with my 'raillers but that doesn't really work with 5 inches of suspension working against you. Still, it was enough to hook me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeuceDVM
    Been riding mountain bikes for approximately 2 years - first a hardtail, then a FS for the past year... pretty much know that bikes are a long term deal for me, and have been lurking on the SS forum for a while... Decided to order a complete IRO Mia to try it out - should arrive next week. Who knows if I will be as gung ho as most of the folks on this board, but for just over $600 I figured I should find out..
    Cool! Please post your impressions (and pics ). Several Mias on this board, but yours is the first complete bike I've heard of.

Jim

Retro Grouch

Similar story; but different

Quote Originally Posted by bykegnurd
    It took me 2 years to get into ss'ing. I tried the whole keep it in 1 gear thing, but my bike had all the same flaws, but was harder to ride. That put the kybosh on it for about 8 months. Then I converted an old frame using a singulator, and I hated it... afterword I realized I hated that frame as geared frame, why the h*ll would I like it as a ss? That put the kybosh on for about a year. I had been saving money for a new FSR... then I got a thought one day on the side of trail pulling stick out my bent deraill.

So I took the plunge, instead of buying a full boinger, I took the cash and ordered a custom SS frame. I have no idea why, must have been divine inspiration, because now my crosser, and geared mtb have a coating of dust. I ride my SS almost exclusively. The grinding of derailleurs gives me a headache now.
    But I bought the boinger and liked the hardtail. It took me about four months to convert. First tried riding my geared Bontrager in one gear but I didn't get it. Then bought a boinger frame (Jamis Dakar) and built it up. Suddenly I had a HT I wasn't riding and caught the SS bug again. Did the spacer, singleator thing and has hooked. I wanted more commitment so I bought a spot wheelset off ebay and found the perfect gear with a half link. Somewhere in all this I sold the boinger to a friend. Finally decided to buy the best and ordered up a custom EBB SS from Paul at Rocklobster. I messed around with Surly/freewheel/V brakes for a while and ended up with Novatec/ discs. I strongly recommend cassette hubs and disc brakes. It's about 4 years now and it's all SS; where has the time gone?

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    Yup, went out and got myself a Rig sight unseen without ever trying a 29er or a singlespeed. It's a total blast. I did have a backup plan if I didn't like it though (move the rohloff over from the "old" bike). I doubt it'll ever come to that.
    Me too. I won a 29er wheelset with no bike to put them on. I figured the Rig was inexpensive enough to give it a try without loosing a lot if I didn't like it. First ride was ok but I was determined to give it a few tries before I made my decision. After I got the hang of it I was hooked. Now it's the only bike I ride anymore. I just converted my Stumpjumper into a SS so I have a second one to ride or let my friends give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've also lurked on this site for a while and this is my first post. Read about the SS passion on this site and on a whim sold my Trek FS Carbon Fiber Y-33 and starting buying parts on eBay. Been buying for a few months and almost have all the parts. Riding a 20 year old recreational bike MTB in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    dad owns a bikeshop so the fall after i started mountain biking i receieved a ss built up of spare parts from around the shop for christmas. now its all i ride, thinking of building up a new super nice one, disc, ebb etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

yes i did

Take the plunge, I was always a die hard Bontrager hard tail guy picked up a bontrager frame off ebay (not a ss frame) and got it when oh ****. now what, Ran into a wrench at bike shop that had made one but never rode to speak off. So i bought a few of his parts the sickness began.
    built it up rode it for a few years, and took the plunge and bought a pissoff. then thought well 29'er so i just built one up a great spot brand. my friends hate riding with me when i am on a single speed. makes me smile.