Anyone else have a Redline?- Mtbr.com
    KRN
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Anyone else have a Redline?

undefined would love to talk to someone else who has a Redline I just bought mine I've only seen one other & thats from the guy at the shop please talk to me!!!!!!!!

formerly Giantxc

Had one

I had one for about a year to try out the whole SS thing. Sold it just over a year ago to buy something lighter and more nimble. Kinda wish I kept it as an urban bike.

Steamroller

I had one - liked it!

I had a redline and sold it recently to get a solo-one. The redline was a good first SS for me though and I can't fault it except that they really did not have a size to fit me well. I changed the stock gearing to be a bit lower and I also changed the seat and grips. Enjoy it, and welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by KRN
    undefined would love to talk to someone else who has a Redline I just bought mine I've only seen one other & thats from the guy at the shop please talk to me!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Redline

I got a Redline last Spring fron Ebay and I have never enjoyed a bike more! For the trail I got a 34T ring. Later I bought a new Bianchi SISS for the trail so I got a 44t ring for the Redline and I have ridden it on the road all winter. The bike makes short ,hilly rides into real workouts and has given me new legs for this Spring. Besides the ring swap, I bought a better seat post, put on Fire XC's(not bad on the road), replaced the brake pads once and put on new grips. Now, if I could just turn that 44 on the dirt!

KRN
    mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I had a redline and sold it recently to get a solo-one. The redline was a good first SS for me though and I can't fault it except that they really did not have a size to fit me well. I changed the stock gearing to be a bit lower and I also changed the seat and grips. Enjoy it, and welcome to the club.
    Thanks for replaying to me I love my Redline I wanted one as a teenager that WAS the bike to have funny I got one now LOL I was in a bad wreck & gained about 50 pounds so I thought a singlespeed would be more effective for losing it the only I've added so far is a mantiou SX fork I plan to add Mech disc brakes here soon & plan to put a pic of it up soon & thanks again!

Steamroller

Avid mechs work good

I put Avid mechs on my SS front and they work great. I kind of like them better than the hayes hydraulics on my double boinger. For weight loss try the South Beach Diet, I've lost almost 25# on it now and feel great. The first 2 weeks are kind of hard and really kill your stamina but the weight loss is 8-13# and gets you off to a good start. Biking alone was not shedding weight for me, I did not have time to ride more than twice most weeks. You are right though about the workout from the SS, it works the whole body and it will build leg muscles bigger, faster and that muscle will help burn the fat. Don't forget the muscle weighs more so it fathomable to ride a lot and gain weight at first. Good luck!
    Thanks for replaying to me I love my Redline I wanted one as a teenager that WAS the bike to have funny I got one now LOL I was in a bad wreck & gained about 50 pounds so I thought a singlespeed would be more effective for losing it the only I've added so far is a mantiou SX fork I plan to add Mech disc brakes here soon & plan to put a pic of it up soon & thanks again!
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member

I too owned a Redline frame

Really loved the bike I built up except that it was too small for me. I'm guessing the biggest size is still a 19". Decided to make the jump to a 29er (Karate Monkey) which I plan on SSing this spring. The Redline was great for short rides, but the too short cockpit would make my back ache after a long ride. I sold it to a fellow SS forum member who I hope enjoys it as much as I did.

Its only 1" on the map!
    I built a monocog up a few weeks to race at the Old Pueblo and I like it. Not a bad bike considering low little an investment it was. $200 for the frame,fork, and wheelset.

mtbr member
    I picked a complete one up off of e-bay last month for $250 to try out SS'ing and I love it (the bike and SS'ing). I am even considering dumping my Foes FS rig to finance a badass single speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, I got mine off eBay too..
    $170 for the frame & wheelset only.
    Built it up as a Cruiser BMX with some old parts I had laying around.
    Here's an pic from year & a half ago.
    Since then i've added a Phil Wood flip-flop Phlight BMX rear hub & some motoraptor 2.4"s.

Last edited by SnowMonkey; 02-19-2004 at 01:16 PM.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Ohhh Mnocog thingy

Yep I've got one. It provides mucho excitement! I like the fact that I can BMX on it if I ever feel the urge to do it again!
    bus driver wanna be

single track ****

I have one

I built up frame and fork, and love it. Has to be the best dollar to smiles ratio of any bike I've owned. Wish it was lighter, and had disks, but can't complain for the price. Buddy of mine has one, and just had to lower gearing, and toss on some fatter tires to make it mtn worthy. here's a couple pics of blackie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

had one, sold it

I'm yet another here who had one, rode it for a while, and then sold it. All in all, a very solid (and I mean SOLID) dedicated SS that can be built up nicely for pretty durn cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    For curiosities sake, can anyone tell me what the stock gearing is on an '02 Monocog? The one I got off e-bay is 39/18. I thought they came at 2:1. I rode mine for one of my laps at the 24IOTP also and thought it was tailor made for that course.

Steamroller

Anyones guess

I had the '03 it came with a 36/18. I swithced to a 34 up front and it was good. Some shops/online dealers build these with their own build kits though, so it's anyones guess what may come stock. 2 to 1 is the classic gear, but depending on your size, fitness and where you ride you may want higher or lower. I ride a 1.83-1 ratio (33-18) on my new solo-one, but I'm a Clydesdale.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

The name's Norm...

I'm in, too!

It's my first, but for $240 on Ebay it's well worth it. Just added a fork cause I just couldn't do rigid. Guess I'm just spoiled!!
    Last edited by maSSpayne; 02-21-2004 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Added pic

mtbr member

Smile I have one............

Just bought mine this winter......................

http://photo.starblvd.net/georgemcna...pg=0&ro=0&co=3

I've already changed out the brakes to Avid discs and replaced the stock Kendas with a 2.1 rear and 2.5 front Panaracers.

The rear disc is gonna be a pain in the butt if and when I flat but I have the Avids on my hardtail and really like them.

KRN
    mtbr member

I have a 04 redline and......

Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I had the '03 it came with a 36/18. I swithced to a 34 up front and it was good. Some shops/online dealers build these with their own build kits though, so it's anyones guess what may come stock. 2 to 1 is the classic gear, but depending on your size, fitness and where you ride you may want higher or lower. I ride a 1.83-1 ratio (33-18) on my new solo-one, but I'm a Clydesdale.
    And I belive its a 22 on mine I want to go bigger BUT I found out untill I lose this damn 50 pounds this is MORE then enough I'll go up to a 44 maybe when I lose this for anyone else looking into the new redlives they come with disc brake Tabs this year & plus U get get a new aluminum frame also we have a BMX course close to here cant wait to try it out this summer!

The name's Norm...

I sure have....

And I belive its a 22 on mine I want to go bigger BUT I found out untill I lose this damn 50 pounds this is MORE then enough I'll go up to a 44 maybe when I lose this for anyone else looking into the new redlives they come with disc brake Tabs this year & plus U get get a new aluminum frame also we have a BMX course close to here cant wait to try it out this summer!
    I have an '02 cro-mo frame but without the disc tabs. What a bummer. I'm thinking about the new aluminum w/ the disc tabs cause you can lower the weight more than w/ the cro-mo frame. Plus the addition of Avid mechs!! Hoo-woo!!

The name's Norm...

Also got mine off Ebay..

Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    For curiosities sake, can anyone tell me what the stock gearing is on an '02 Monocog? The one I got off e-bay is 39/18. I thought they came at 2:1. I rode mine for one of my laps at the 24IOTP also and thought it was tailor made for that course.
    and mine came with a 36/20 setup. Hmmmm, very interesting!

The name's Norm...

Which series of Kendas?

Quote Originally Posted by York_PA_Rider
    I've already changed out the brakes to Avid discs and replaced the stock Kendas with a 2.1 rear and 2.5 front Panaracers.
    Were they the Stick-E series. Any comments on them. I thinking about purchasing a set.

KRN
    mtbr member

Xc???

the name of the Kendas that are hot at the moment for XC is the Kenda XC Blue Groove Lite 2.0 they run about $ 40.00 a pop good luck!

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Being a compulsive buyer I just got on of the 2003 $199 specials that they have in the front page of MTBR bargins. I figure I have enough crap lying around to get a good start on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0