Anyone doing Leadville?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone doing Leadville?

I think I want to single speed Leadville. Just wondering if anyone has done it or are going to. I have a 26"er and was considering gear ratios...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Holy crap man...

Where are you riding now? That ride is amazingly high. I used to ride up in CO. I've been over most of the high passes in Summit County... Climax Pass / Leadville was a killer even living and training at altitude for a couple years.

The ONLY place I've ever ridden harder was Georgetown to Keystone over Argentine Pass via the Gray's/Torrey's area. That's from 8,500ft up to 14,000ft. I wouldn't dream of doing that SS.

Leadville (the area in general) or either the 50 or 100 mile race are going to involve just as much (if not more) actual climbing, and all of it between 10,000 and 12,500 ft. Not quite Bring You Own Oxygen territory, but it will feel like it, esp on SS.

If you do decide to do this insanity, gear low. LOTS of climbing.

"Good Luck!" is all I have to say (and I mean that, not being sarcastic).

mtbr member
    some people I talked with during the race the past few years doing it single were running 32x18, 32x19,32x20 on 26ers not sure what the 29ers were running. Hell a guy even did it fixed last year as well as a guy on a 30+ year old beach cruiser with only a rear coaster brake and full fenders.

I want to do it SS but I would like to get my buckle geared first than go back and attempt single
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've done it geared 6 times and now am single speeding full time. I really don't want to put all that crap back on my bike. I'm using an ENO rear hub on my older Ibis 26'er. The altitude never bothered me. I ran the Vision Quest with 32:20 and that was perfect. I think that will work with Leadville. I'm doing the Cascade Cream Puff in July with that ratio. We'll see how that works. I've never done CCP. After reading the last reply about a guy doing Leadville on a beach cruiser, I think it will all work out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I did the SR 50 at leadville last year on a SS and ran a 32-20 on a 29. It was rough but I will do it again. I now live in Evergreen(7500 feet)so I am more acclimated. Prior to that I lived at 500 feet of elevation.

Lurker Extrordinaire
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916 View Post
    some people I talked with during the race the past few years doing it single were running 32x18, 32x19,32x20 on 26ers not sure what the 29ers were running. Hell a guy even did it fixed last year as well as a guy on a 30+ year old beach cruiser with only a rear coaster brake and full fenders.

I want to do it SS but I would like to get my buckle geared first than go back and attempt single
    LOL. That was me. 1964-ish Rollfast cruiser. Surprizingly, not much slower than my much more current Karate Monkey SS. (FWI, bring coaster brake grease for after Columbine descent...) When I did it on a 29, 32x18 was the order of the day. Tough on the climbs, but there is SO much flat or descending pavement...
    “Big men putting screwdrivers into things! Turning them! And adjusting them!”

Members who have read this thread: 0