Anyone combine their SS MTB riding with fishing or hunting?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Anyone combine their SS MTB riding with fishing or hunting?...

I can't believe more people haven't picked up on this. You've got a nearly silent, ideal way to cross rough terrain, while hauling your fishing tackle or hunting gear. Anyone use their SS to get to an out of the way stream, or maybe to their tree stand? Would like to hear your story.

mtbr member
    if i had had a bow or gun with me the other day and it was legal hunting season, i would have knocked down a few deer. i stopped to take a pic, and to my left 4 deer stood up one after the other once i hopped off the bike. this is from a park in maryland that you can bowhunt certain parts durring certain times of the year.

i actually know a guy who rides his bike to get way into public land fairly quickly to hunt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep...they're so damn curious! Whitetails are WAY dumb, compared to the mulies we have out here in the Rockies. No way I personally could take a shot at a doe or a forkhorn like those, but I'm not against it at all. If I were a deer, I'd much rather die from being knocked down by a 57 caliber muzzleloader, than die a slow death from parasites or starvation. Thanks for sharing some great snaps...I've surprised Gambol's quail (mom with her chicks), rabbits, coyotes, jack rabbits, rattlers, bobcats and prarie dogs during my SS wanderings, but have yet to spook any deer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I sometimes ride my gearie (no ss yet, working on that conversion right now) when I go fishing. I have a 5 piece fly rod that breaks down small enough to strap onto my hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Found this picture when I was bored at work the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitka999

Now that's freaking hardcore!!! But the real question is did he kill it him self or pick it up off the side of the rode....haha
    07' Wahoo Disk(Sold)
    08' Lemond Reno(Sold)
    Budget build SS in progress from spare parts...

JMU Cycling- "Just Huck It"

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    If I had'nt slowed down on the road bike the other day I would have hit a deer real hard, I might have died, or maybe keeled the deer but is that huntin'?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xR1DeRx
    Now that's freaking hardcore!!! But the real question is did he kill it him self or pick it up off the side of the rode....haha
    It's called a Redneck DUI

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitka999
    That individual gets definite points for style...he's schlepping that deer on a single speed beach cruiser!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    If I had'nt slowed down on the road bike the other day I would have hit a deer real hard, I might have died, or maybe keeled the deer but is that huntin'?
    I think that's called...an accident. Every year at the start of the Enchanted Circle Century up in Red River, NM they warn the cyclists about this very phenomenon. The deer don't seem to grok what we are, on bikes...if they feel like stepping out right in front of this, they will do so. Folks have been injured. Glad both you and the deer are OK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    .........The deer don't seem to grok what we are, on bikes...if they feel like stepping out right in front of this, they will do so.
    I come across lots of wildlife when I am out riding. There is a big chunk of state land just down the road from my house that I ride quite a bit. I see lots of deer and antelope there. I have noticed that I can get fairly close to the herds before I spook them when I am riding my bike. It works best if the trail does not head straight toward the heard, but if it heads parallel to it or zig zags a little. I think if it looks like you are not trying to approach them they stay calm longer. Antelope seem more confused than the deer but they don't seem to get scared until I am within 150 - 200 yards or so.

I have even ridden fairly close to them and then laid the bike down and laid down behind it like I was sighting a rifle. I do a quick dismount to the side away from the animals and crouch down like I am looking at the cranks for a second then lay the bike down in front of me.They get up and get nervous, but they don't run off right away. They will stare at me for 30 seconds or so before they start running away. They must be trying to figure out what I am or what I am doing. It is kind of fun but it only works out when the heard is in the right place in relation to the trail. I don't ride out cross country just to mess around with them.

I haven't tried using the bike during a hunt. I really don't hunt much, but using the bike seems like it would be fun. I think my BOB trailer would work pretty good for hauling out a deer or antelope here in the grasslands.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

one chain loop
    my SS is ridiculously quiet, i got this close without spooking a deer.

unfortunately, i only took two pictures as we can hear a geared clunker bike 30 feet away approaching. notice the animal's ears, he ran away after the shot, thanks a lot gearies.

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

bi-winning
    I know we are taking this thread a little off topic, but since everyone else is doing it, here is one of my deer pictures.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Thought about it for duck hunting this past Jan with a friend of mine. The hunt never got off the ground though.

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    I ride my ss to several streams to fish in during the summer. I also rode my fixie to state land to hunt deer and elk all of last season. Lots of funny looks from the fellas in pick ups.

Members who have read this thread: 0