Anyone build a SS for light trail and commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Anyone build a SS for light trail and commuting?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one using my bike for both commuting and trail.

master blaster
    yes. it even sees a mtb race now and then.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Bianchi San Jose that does these things very well. And road rides and whatever just not any crazy steep or rough trail stuff due to gearing and small tires.

smell the saddle...
    A buddy just got a pair of Specialized Armadillo Infinity 700x38 tires for his wife's commuter bike and albeit those tires could be ridden on trails. I've seen an assortment of road, hybrid, and mountain bikes ridden at our local trail over the years. I think it comes down to the tires specifically. Obviously you won't ride trails the same way on each but you can still do it.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    A buddy just got a pair of Specialized Armadillo Infinity 700x38 tires for his wife's commuter bike and albeit those tires could be ridden on trails. I've seen an assortment of road, hybrid, and mountain bikes ridden at our local trail over the years. I think it comes down to the tires specifically. Obviously you won't ride trails the same way on each but you can still do it.
    I used to commute on a pair of Spechy Armoredildos and those things were hard as nails, kinda like a solid rubber tire. No feel at all. Tough as nails too, tho. Never got a flat, but personally I'd never use them for anything but commuting or touring on pavement.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I used to commute on a pair of Spechy Armoredildos and those things were hard as nails, kinda like a solid rubber tire. No feel at all. Tough as nails too, tho. Never got a flat, but personally I'd never use them for anything but commuting or touring on pavement.

--Sparty
    Since I just got my Redline 925 I am riding the stock Kenda tires for now but have my eyes on the Armadillo Nimbus (which are backordered everywhere in 700x28). They make the Armadillo All Sport's in 700x32 but if I step up to that size I won't be able to use my current fenders.

These Specialized Infinity's remind me of the Contis Town & Country, I wouldn't say ideal for aggresive trail riding but I bet you'd still do better than a stadard commuting tire.

Apr 2007
    I have a Surly Steamroller that I use for light trail (700x38) and errands (700x25).

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I have a Surly Steamroller that I use for light trail (700x38) and errands (700x25).
    What tire on the 38s?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yep. I just built up my newest commuter. A Civia Hyland with a Winwood Muddy Cross fork. Still need the fenders. 39x16 running 34c's on 30mm Salsa Semi's. Drop bars. Basically a more relaxed cross bike.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    What tire on the 38s?
    Got some generic no-names (given to me by a friend). They're actually more for a "hybrid" road set up, but they do the job for mild singletracks. I plan to get some decent 30/32's come this cross season.

Members who have read this thread: 0