mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Anybody using an Endless Bike Co. Cog?

I ordered one for my 29er and they go all the way to 25T. Anybody have one of these? Feedback?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    my wife runs those.....no complaints.....she likes them better than King cogs....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    They are good. Thicker spline contact point than King which is better on the freehub body. King is still on the thick side but Endless "Kick Ass Cogs" are even wider. Thats more better. Not as trick looking as other cogs but everything is a tradeoff right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use a 19T. I like it. A lot lighter than a Surly, and a butt load stronger than the Fouriers I was using (wore out in a season, and was bent after a 100 hard miles.) I like that it has a large spline area, but because of this, it look a little playing around with spacers on the freehub body, my current spacers were too large, and had to cut a 1/8" off one. Don't have a ton of miles on it yet, only 200 or so, but it still runs very smooth and quiet. The teeth are large, and it felt almost that it was for a 1/8" chain at first, very tight. But with a little more lube it fit great. One thing I noticed, it was VERY VERY tight going on the freehub. Took a little grease and force to get it on. Didn't just slip on like others. But this may be a good thing in reducing freehub damage in the longrun. It didn't scratch the freehub, was just tight. But a little grease is never a bad thing, and thats one place that almost never gets it when it should.

mtbr member
    I've been running a 24t for the last 2 years. As with all Aluminium cogs, they will wear very quickly if you don't stay on top of your chain - one good ride with a stretched chain and you will toast your cog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That seems to be the problem with aluminum cogs, you might as well just run them until everything is really worn and then replace the chain, cog and chainring. It seems to keep 'on-top' of the chain stretch, you would end up spending more money on chains, it seems to me any more than a 1/32 of stretch and you will have some fit problems with a new chain on those AL cogs. What does everyone else think?

AZ
    banned
    Prefer a harder material for cogs .

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Prefer a harder material for cogs .
    7075-T6 aluminum is actually harder and stronger than most cro-moly steel.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    7075-T6 aluminum is actually harder and stronger than most cro-moly steel.

Rockwell b scale
    aluminum 87

4130 90-96

Tensile strength aluminum 83,000

4130 85,000

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Rockwell b scale
    aluminum 87

4130 90-96

Tensile strength aluminum 83,000

4130 85,000
    Depends on how the 4130 is treated - in some cases it's not as hard or as strong as 7075-T6 and is much heavier. http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been using a 24 tooth cog for a long time. I like it just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks guys. I have a 22T Surly one on there right now, but it seems all I do is climb (how can EVERYTHING be uphill?) so I wanted to go up a tooth without messing with my chain length.

Birthday Collector
    ISuckAtRiding makes some really nice-looking cogs and rings, axle tugs, etc...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=540625

I just got a 32t ring from him and it is very clean, exactly what I wanted (1/8" tooth) for $35 plus tax and shipping was about $41. He'll make cogs in steel, alum or Ti also - I personally would prefer a steel or Ti cog for wear properties also. In 3 years my 33t aluminum ring wore out, and my steel 20t rear cog is still looking pretty damn good - with lots of miles on it. I'll probably add a 22t to the mix for big climbing days, and have an extra new 20t and 18t in my box. If you are looking for a cog, consider his stuff, as an mtbr member, not to mention some nice quality!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    These cogs are total junk. For the price, you are better off paying a few bucks more for a King Stainless steel. Granted, the Endless is slightly lighter, but the teeth have a tendency to chip, and they wear out quickly. I went through two cogs during one summer of dry western riding. I could see if I was riding in mud all the time, but it doesn't get very muddy in the Butte. The name endless is false advertising, since they are anything but, along with kick a?%. A more proper name would be finite suck a&@ cogs!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laurelhighlandsrider79
    These cogs are total junk. For the price, you are better off paying a few bucks more for a King Stainless steel. Granted, the Endless is slightly lighter, but the teeth have a tendency to chip, and they wear out quickly. I went through two cogs during one summer of dry western riding. I could see if I was riding in mud all the time, but it doesn't get very muddy in the Butte. The name endless is false advertising, since they are anything but, along with kick a?%. A more proper name would be finite suck a&@ cogs!

Witty McWitterson
    Nice intro post. Everybody loves it when you come in and baselessly blow the sh!t out of a product.

I like my endless cogs. Been using various sizes for a few years now with no issues. They're durable, and they're light. And best of all the company is owned by a kickass lady. I like 'em so much I happily sell them[see the links].
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Nice intro post. Everybody loves it when you come in and baselessly blow the sh!t out of a product.

I like my endless cogs. Been using various sizes for a few years now with no issues. They're durable, and they're light. And best of all the company is owned by a kickass lady. I like 'em so much I happily sell them[see the links].
    I agree. Makes me sound like I don't know what I'm talking about in my earlier post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~

Yup. If 99% of people say they're fine, I take the 1% with a grain of pepper. Thanks for the feedback, friends. I was just skeptical of the aluminum cog, but for $30, I'm not looking for something to last a lifetime. If it lasts 1-2 seasons, I'm not mad. I spend $30 on sushi night with the wife ON A CHEAP NIGHT, or worse, a 1/3 tank of gas on my truck... so believe me, I'm not too worried about "wasting my money".

I also run a small bicycle business on the side, so I do like to support small companies like Endless. Just a personal thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Yup. If 99% of people say they're fine, I take the 1% with a grain of pepper. Thanks for the feedback, friends. I was just skeptical of the aluminum cog, but for $30, I'm not looking for something to last a lifetime. If it lasts 1-2 seasons, I'm not mad. I spend $30 on sushi night with the wife ON A CHEAP NIGHT, or worse, a 1/3 tank of gas on my truck... so believe me, I'm not too worried about "wasting my money".

I also run a small bicycle business on the side, so I do like to support small companies like Endless. Just a personal thing.
    Dude, you put things into perspective. You seem to be of sound mind and judgement. Thank you.

Btw, I have a 16 tooth kick ass cog on my bike and am loving it... although it makes coming up steep hills a BEAST!
    How can you go wrong with red ano?

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    I have been running kick ass cogs on my bike and my wife's. They are great, but do wear a little bit faster than Steel. The cool part about them is when they do wear our, put a new chain on and then just flip the cog on the cassette and it will run like brand new again.

Members who have read this thread: 1